Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Dec 2010, 19:37 (Ref:2805284)   #1
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

Lppiesaudi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Audi "R" numbers

At motorsport.com they ran this article: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=396290

At the bottom of tha article they have a table listing the all the R numbers. Now From R8 downwards, minus the R9 I agree with the list. The rest really does not make much sense.

I speak under correction but that list cannot be correct. I heard they started the numbering with the R8 and then just continued with it from the R10 onwards. I have heard that the “R” was for race models and the “8” was for the 8 cylinder engine in the R8. No “R9” exists. I did hear a rumour that the Bentleys were the "R9", but I dont think that is true either.

Also the list is missing some crucial Audi Race Cars. It is missing the “A1” and “A2” two derivatives of the original Quattro and the “E1” and “E2 (S1)” derivatives of the Sport Quattro. And most notably missing the Audi A4 Super Touring car, and some of the introduction dates are very wrong. I do not think that is a real list, I think someone wrote it up for the article taking a guess, that didn’t come from an Audi press release for sure...however I could be wrong, what is everyone’s take on the article?

You could argue that the A1 and A2 are the R1 and R1 + and that the E1 and E2 are the R2 and R2 +, but I still don’t think that R numbers were used at Audi before the R8.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2805296)   #2
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lppiesaudi View Post
At motorsport.com they ran this article: http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=396290

At the bottom of tha article they have a table listing the all the R numbers. Now From R8 downwards, minus the R9 I agree with the list. The rest really does not make much sense.

I speak under correction but that list cannot be correct. I heard they started the numbering with the R8 and then just continued with it from the R10 onwards. I have heard that the “R” was for race models and the “8” was for the 8 cylinder engine in the R8. No “R9” exists. I did hear a rumour that the Bentleys were the "R9", but I dont think that is true either.

Also the list is missing some crucial Audi Race Cars. It is missing the “A1” and “A2” two derivatives of the original Quattro and the “E1” and “E2 (S1)” derivatives of the Sport Quattro. And most notably missing the Audi A4 Super Touring car, and some of the introduction dates are very wrong. I do not think that is a real list, I think someone wrote it up for the article taking a guess, that didn’t come from an Audi press release for sure...however I could be wrong, what is everyone’s take on the article?

You could argue that the A1 and A2 are the R1 and R1 + and that the E1 and E2 are the R2 and R2 +, but I still don’t think that R numbers were used at Audi before the R8.
You bring up a good point and I too would like some clarification on this subject.
I was always told the at "R" was for race and the number designated what number the project was at Audi Sport. Basically saying that the R8 was the 8th project Audi Sport took on...
Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2805309)   #3
Andrei
Rookie

Romania
Germany
Andrei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the "30 years Audi Sport" book, it is stated that the numbers R1 to R7 have been given later to the following cars:
R1 - Audi quattro from 1980 - 1984, incl. quattro A1 and A2
R2 - Audi sport quattro 1984 - 1987, also Pikea Peak of this years, quattro S1
R3 - Audi 200 quattro 1987
R4 - Audi 200 quattro Trans Am, 1988
R5 - Audi 90 quattro IMSA GTO, 1989
R6 - Audi V8 quattro DTM, 1990 - 1992
R7 - Audi 80 quattro STW and competition, 1993 - 1997
R8 - Audi R8R
R9 - Audi R8C
R10 - Audi R10 TDI
R11 - A4 DTM, 2004
R12 and R12+ - A4 DTM of 2004-2006
R13 - A4 DTM 2007
R14 - A4 DTM 2008
R14+ - A4 DTM 2009
R15 - Audi R15 TDI
R16 - Audi R8 LMS
R17 - think is the new DTM car
R18 - you know...
Old 17 Dec 2010, 04:38 (Ref:2805440)   #4
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

Thank You - If some does have that 30 years of Audi Sport book, could you please scan that page with the R numbers and post it?

The list does beg one question though. The customer cars are not listed, well the R8 LMS "R16" is listed but the two new TT customer cars, built by Audi Sport and Quattro GMBH are not listed. Then again the cars are not officially launched yet. The TT VLN SPT4 car and the Audi TTRS GT4 car, maybe their R numbers will be shared when they are officially launched...
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2805574)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
If you want the info THAT bad, go BUY a copy of the book!

Copyright of the author, etc.

That list has appeared here on several occasions. No one has questioned it, until now...
Old 17 Dec 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2805619)   #6
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
If you want the info THAT bad, go BUY a copy of the book!

Copyright of the author, etc.

That list has appeared here on several occasions. No one has questioned it, until now...
My apologies then
Old 17 Dec 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2805647)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No apology necessary, but Tim is quite right, we wouldn't be able to post the page here for the reasons given. Having said that, if Andrei has reproduced the list as faithfully as he can from the book, there's probably no need......
Old 17 Dec 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2805721)   #8
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

I understand, I am very curious to how it looks in that specific book. I have tried to look for the book, difficult to get the book here in South Africa...however pointing the discussion away from the scanning and copy right, does anyone know the "R" numbers of the two new Audi TT race cars: The TT RS VLN car and the TT RS GT4 car for customer use, the cars being built by Quattro gmbh and Raeder Motorsport for Audi Sports customers. As they are "Audi Sport" cars they should have R numbers...nothing released by Audi yet.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2805752)   #9
Andrei
Rookie

Romania
Germany
Andrei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know (I'm an Audi employee), the TT's do not have R-numbers, as they are not a real Audi Sport vehicle. It is similar to the DTM TT that also has no R-number, beeing built by ABT.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2805829)   #10
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only problem is that quattro GmbH are sanctioning the construction of the cars--quattro Gmbh is the Audi equivlant of M-B's AMG division and BMW's M-division.

Maybe if the do become official Audi customer cars (which it seems that's planned), Audi may assign them such model numbers.

And a few other notes on the list. Audi may've called the R8 as such because it had a V8 engine in it, as well as being the 8th major project undertaken by Audi Sport, with the other numbers (1-7) applied in retrospect. And even though it's not on the list, the 2010 Audi R15 was called the R15+ in Audi press releases, though after Le Mans, Audi dropped the "plus" naming and simply referred to it simply as the R15 TDI--offically, "plus" wasn't part of the cars' name, which is why on ACO and ALMS scoring the cars were ID'd as "Audi R15 TDI".
Old 18 Dec 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2805830)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
If you want the info THAT bad, go BUY a copy of the book
Cant a guy ask a question FFS !!! especially after only 5 posts ............

somebody is bordering on being rude here

Last edited by The Badger; 18 Dec 2010 at 00:27.