Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jan 2002, 07:10 (Ref:193661)   #1
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button Leaves Manager

Button and David Robertson, the man who guided him from carting into his highly successful first season in F1 with Williams in 2000, are going their separate ways because Button feels 'it's time for a change'.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 09:21 (Ref:193680)   #2
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably, in more ways than one!
Old 4 Jan 2002, 18:03 (Ref:193899)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Bunsen's managers have financed his career to date, I reckon the buyout clause is going to be a dilly!

He may have to sell his yacht.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 18:53 (Ref:193921)   #4
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any ideas who will manage him now?

I think this will do a lot of damage to Robertson's reputation - they became the managers to be with after their success with Button and Raikonnen, but Button must've had a serious reason to pay... well, we can only dream of the figures... to be released from his contract.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 21:17 (Ref:194017)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about ... Craig Pollock?

He isn't doing anything at the moment that I know about ...
Old 4 Jan 2002, 21:26 (Ref:194024)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silly question, perhaps, but what do these managers actually do to earn their no doubt substantial crust? I can understand aspiring F1 drivers needing a manager to get them there, but what does the manager do once his charge has made it (apart from doing his level best to keep the boy there!).
Old 4 Jan 2002, 21:31 (Ref:194029)   #7
Liz
Veteran

1. More money.
2. A better drive.
3. Anything he wants. For example, Gilles' manager got him his helicopters and other toys, and also arranged for his mistress to get to and from the track before his wife arrived, and bought her gifts at Gilles' direction. I assume this is standard operating procedure.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 22:07 (Ref:194053)   #8
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
How about ... Craig Pollock?

He isn't doing anything at the moment that I know about ...
He's still on the board of directors at BAR, and apparently he's back to managing JV although it sounds unlikely to me.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 23:36 (Ref:194104)   #9
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly question, perhaps, but what do these managers actually do to earn their no doubt substantial crust? I can understand aspiring F1 drivers needing a manager to get them there, but what does the manager do once his charge has made it (apart from doing his level best to keep the boy there!).

Getting paid for having succeeded to get them there is why they try to get drivers there who haven't paid them anything yet!
Think of it like music managers- the hard work of getting an act signed is recouped if and when the act succeed. I imagine there are a hard core of drivers (typically the less intelligent but by no means the worst) who adopt the equivalent of the "I'm only into the music, maann" attitude which encrusts so many musicians. Anyone who can conspire to find such people gainful employment desrves a medal, as well as a percentage of their earnings. Otherwise the motorsports industry could readily cap drivers' earnings at expenses plus £1000 per race, say.(Minus expenses!). Probably not a bad idea!
Another thing a manager might do, other than buying helicopters, sorting out itinerant mistresses etc, is to just be there for the driver, settle them down, let them know that they needn't worry about anything but driving!
Ricardo Rosset's management obviously hit a bit of a blip between his F3000 and F1 career!
Old 5 Jan 2002, 01:11 (Ref:194132)   #10
Takuma
Racer

Takuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Osella,

Many a true word in jest!

Sadly for Ricardo, you are right, but knowing who was "managing" Riccardo then, I am not surprised.

Osella, if yoou contact me privately, I can tell you more. It seems you have a ghood understaning of the managers role and the racing industry anyway, particually relating it to the music industry!
Old 5 Jan 2002, 17:30 (Ref:194416)   #11
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But if managers are about being there for there drivers etc..how does Flavio get on as he has got drivers all over the place which are in other teams ...i cant see EJ letting Flav sit in his garage last season just to keep an eye on Trulli ........, but maybe Bunsen wants Flav to look after his affairs ..that would be one way of keeping his Renualt seat .
Old 5 Jan 2002, 19:58 (Ref:194482)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Takuma
Osella,

Many a true word in jest!

Sadly for Ricardo, you are right, but knowing who was "managing" Riccardo then, I am not surprised.

Osella, if yoou contact me privately, I can tell you more. It seems you have a ghood understaning of the managers role and the racing industry anyway, particually relating it to the music industry!

I always thought Rosset was a DSM guy based on the fact that he drove for him in F3000 - am I wrong? Do they operate a sliding scale of charges, cos I know it was like 5k a month to Formula Ford/Renault level drivers. Didnt DSM handle Ricardo Mauricio as well? I remember he used to have lots of cash to throw around.