Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2268413)   #1
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dangerous towing at Spa and Nurburgring

At the Oldtimers this year a seasoned competitor told me that he was little short of terrified when being towed in off the Nordschleife behind an X5 on a short lead. He thought the tow driver was trying to set a new lap record. A few years ago there was an incident at Spa when a Formula Junior turned over when being towed too quickly and the driver was quite badly injured. Everybody knows that you can see very little from the cockpit of a racing car when being a tow truck and yet incidents continue to occur.

Should the FIA circulate all circuit owners and event organisers and ask them to instruct the tow truck drivers to be more careful before someone is really badly injured?
Old 13 Aug 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2268436)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point. They do tend to forget that cold racing brakes are next to useless. If I'm being towed (sadly I've had the experience at Spa) I keep my foot on the brake pedal so the pads are kept to a reasonable temprature.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2268448)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not too sure of the details but I heard of a car being yanked out of the gravel at the Nurburgring last weekend,it was being pulled by the roll cage ,dug in and rolled with the beltless driver inside!!
Old 13 Aug 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2268471)   #4
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If only upon the above observations, it is perfectly clear that organisers and track managers need to be made aware of these concerns. That will help make their insurers sit up and take notice!
Old 13 Aug 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2268645)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've been towed at Spa at a fair rate of knots a couple of times and I must admit its a bit unnerving. Because you sit low in the car its difficult (or impossible)to see a short rope , and I once ran it over damaging the front panel and wing. If you have a vacuum servo you have no chance ! I also witnessed a car at Brands being towed backwards by its roll hoop that incurred substantial damage crashing into the armco on the start grid. And that was only at a "slowish" speed !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Aug 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2268659)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too have been towed at Spa and broke the rope! Although it wasn't at a daft speed and besides I got back to the pits and we managed to change the fuel pump and finish the race.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2268703)   #7
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with Spa and the Ring is that they are long circuits, so organising clubs want to clear the track asap. One of the reason they order the tow drivers to speed things up.
Now if those people only knew what they were doing it wouldn't be half bad, but they don't.
I have had many angry words with the Spa towers, but with no or hardly any avail. They just won't see it or couldn't care less as they have "the track" behind them.

I've seen my share of mishaps of cars being towed far too fast, even the odd car falling off a tow truck and many more things.
So, a little tip: when pulling off at Spa, always tell the marshals that you need a full lift because of a suspension / steering problem.

Or, try to get the car to the pit if it is still drivable. You'd be amazed how many drivers pull off and after the end of practice or race, they get in and drive back.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2268715)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was towed back from Caroussel. We have to run standard brakes, trying to stop a Midget and a Frontera on 7" discs and poxy drums from 80mph was w-i-l-d!

It was h-u-g-e fun, luckily I was suited, helmeted and belted.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2268731)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just to put this in some sort of perspective, I am used to towing and "being towed most days of the week, having worked in the motor trade for the last 45 years so not an absolute novice at it ! I am aware that they want to clear the track as quick as possible but some of the towing vehicles are things like performance scubies and some of the drivers are a bit OTT.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Aug 2008, 04:53 (Ref:2268823)   #10
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Careful what you wish for! In this insane world of health and safety, someone will decide that towing cars is far too dangerous and we will see red flags and safety cars while a team of licensed tow personnel are deployed, one to do the job and 10 to oversee and provide risk management!
Old 14 Aug 2008, 07:12 (Ref:2268838)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've been towed at a fair rate at Spa back in 04, I have to say its far preferable to having your car slinged and picked up by a team of gorillas . . .I've seen a few bent roofs on cars from that practice.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2268867)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When ever i get towed i allways tell the driver that " I will follow them" allways gets a laugh. I did have 2 laps towed around Monaco this year bit of pratice for 2010.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2268949)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most people put fuel in.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2270424)   #14
Andrea Lazzari
Rookie

Italy
Verona - Italy
Andrea Lazzari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been towed at the last OGP at Nurburgring.
After a nice battle with Roger (I've sent you a pm), during the last lap of Race 2 the differential of my Lotus Cortina decided to leave me.
It's true, the tow guys drive quite quickly, but they advice you about the risk and ask you if you wish to be towed (at least in Germany) or not.
They ask you to please keep foot on the brake pad to keep the rope in tension and take care to push quickly if required.
So, from my point of view no problem, but maybe from a formula cockpit...
Old 17 Aug 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2270427)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome Andrea.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2270526)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those tow bars used by RAC/AA in the UK might be worth considering. Not rope but a metal bar between the tow vehicle and the towing eye.

Jim
Old 18 Aug 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2270837)   #17
Andrea Lazzari
Rookie

Italy
Verona - Italy
Andrea Lazzari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a pleasure being here, thank you Peter.
Old 19 Aug 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2271724)   #18
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France

Jim's suggestion is very very sensible. It could cure a lot of the problems in one fell swoop. If circuits like Spa and the Nordschleife continue to tow like lunatics with competitors sitting "blind" in single seaters behind them someone is going to get very badly hurt and sooner or later someone is going to sue the pants off them. Let them not say that they have not been warned!
Old 19 Aug 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2271803)   #19
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno really, you'd be amazed what they manage at Spa.

On a serious note: not one marshal at Spa (bar me obviously) tells a driver to put his helmet on and fasten his seatbelts before being towed away.
And you'd be amazed how many drivers think that's not even needed. Had another guy last Sunday at Brands who looked at me as if I'd asked for the impossible.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 12:38 (Ref:2272697)   #20
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Towing bars "can" cause more problems if the car being towed tries to overtake the tow car, I have seen a BMW wrecked and loads of damage to the Disco that was towing it, so a rope is the lesser of the two evils !
Old 21 Aug 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2272699)   #21
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
What was the mobile disco doing on the race track? Please forgive if I have misunderstood but my english ees not as good as it should be.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2272776)   #22
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Lazzari
I've been towed at the last OGP at Nurburgring.
After a nice battle with Roger (I've sent you a pm), during the last lap of Race 2 the differential of my Lotus Cortina decided to leave me.
It's true, the tow guys drive quite quickly, but they advice you about the risk and ask you if you wish to be towed (at least in Germany) or not.
They ask you to please keep foot on the brake pad to keep the rope in tension and take care to push quickly if required.
So, from my point of view no problem, but maybe from a formula cockpit...
Andrea, struggling with PM on my holidays but will respond shortly, sorry!

I did have a good time chasing you at the Ring. Unfortunately I had just finished the sports car race and was getting some water when I noticed the HTGT grid start behind the safety car! So didn't do well in race 1 but got close to catching you before your diff went pop! What a pity as you weren't far from the end.

Will respond in the near future.
Old 21 Aug 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2272782)   #23
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Mr Drabble is dangerous towing at Spa

so dangerous he got his PPU stuck in the tunnel one year
Old 21 Aug 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2272812)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Theres worse things to get intunnels lad.
Has anyone heard what the Porsche was doing on track,two un-helmeted people on board and storming past some of the race cars,on the grass at the 500k?