Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1242963)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan - Can You Find My Stickers?

I think the Jordan team must have forgotten to apply sponsorship stickers to their car ...

Seriously though, that car is so worrying devoid of sponsors its amazing. Take away Narain's TATA stickers, and the logos from suppliers (Bridgestone), it's pretty much a bare car. There's a few B&H sub-brand stickers, and a couple of postage stamp sized ones, but really ... this is like a throw back to mid-80s Tyrrell. At least they bothered to make a livery ...
Old 5 Mar 2005, 05:56 (Ref:1242965)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its interesting to contrast this to the old days of Jordan, where a brand from just about every possible category of products was on the car somewhere....

I guess they dont have to try too hard to find commercial partners with all those Midland millions in the bank....
Old 5 Mar 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1242968)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

How the mighty have fallen

What a contrast that is. It's difficult to grasp just how bad things have gone for Jordan. Anyone see the collective "sarcastic head-wobble" amongst the Jordan pitcrew as they out-qualified Minardi. Almost as if to say "ha, yeah, great, we're better than Minardi, amazing".
Old 5 Mar 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1243064)   #4
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i remember that once Eddie Jordan said: (after being 3th in the championship) that he doesn't what the second place ... he aims for Numero Uno....
Old 5 Mar 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1243087)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When you are owned by one of the richest men in the world, it's not going to matter too much.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 10:44 (Ref:1243166)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, Midland have an exceptional potential budget from which to draw. I am sure they will take sponsorship deals if a proper price is offered, but there is not any concern about finances.

The team would not have been bought with the thought that they would suddenly rake it in with top class sponsors.

That would just have been stupid.

Last edited by Dutton; 5 Mar 2005 at 10:44.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1243169)   #7
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Indeed, Midland have an exceptional potential budget from which to draw. I am sure they will take sponsorship deals if a proper price is offered, but there is not any concern about finances.

The team would not have been bought with the thought that they would suddenly rake it in with top class sponsors.

That would just have been stupid.
I think that if they are coming into F1 thinking their budget is endless and are not worried about their billions of dollars being sucked down the F1 funnel, that to me is stupid!
Old 5 Mar 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1243178)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed, that is what I meant by I am sure they will take sponsorship that is offered at a proper fee.

They will work on it until they get a good deal in place, rather than desperately grabbing at the first opportunities.

My point was meant to be that they have the freedom to be able to take the bit of time, as they are not in immediate and critical need of sponsorship funds.

Last edited by Dutton; 5 Mar 2005 at 11:00.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1243248)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi # 46
I think that if they are coming into F1 thinking their budget is endless and are not worried about their billions of dollars being sucked down the F1 funnel, that to me is stupid!
Midland have said they are looking to make sure the team is mostly run off sponsorship and that 2005 is basically just a holding year for them to get into the swing of things.

The guy who owns Midland seems to know what he's doing and has openly said he won't pour money down the F1 drain.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1243276)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Firstly, having no sponsors isn't a problem for Jordan at this moment in time, with Shnaider at the helm.

However, it is frightening how they seem to repel sponsors. You don't have to go back too long to see big sponsorship deals with B&H's, Deutsche Post, Mastercard, Honda et al.......all in one go.

What a difference four years makes.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1243282)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B&H is still on board, Sobranie is a sub brand for Asia.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1243286)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but it's sponsorship deal is substantially smaller than it was. From 2002 onwards, it's presence has got smaller. And it isn't just down to the impending tobacco laws.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1243432)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now I know nothing about marketing, but perhaps they'll make a big push for the more lucrative sponsors after they change name to Midland for 2006?

I don't know how many people would be interested in a multi-year deal when the team is going to change (albeit only in name) at the end of the year. My guess is that sponsors that bring in substantial cash generally are in it for more than one year.

Perhaps they could sell sponsorship local to the grand prix at each round. It would be novel if nothing else to see out the year.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1243435)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be very difficult to find sponsorship for a Russian car. Many big businesses still don't trust the economy there, and see it as risky at best...

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1243436)   #15
mystery racer
Rookie

mystery racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I don't undertand is that between them, the drivers have apparently brought along $20m in sponsorship. Where are the stickers for their sponsors seeing that they are pretty much paying for the running of the cars. I didn't even see anything on the drivers suits when browsing the launch pictures in Moscow, apart from a cap Monteiro was wearing.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1243437)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Jordan does look rather odd, but as said it's not as if they're cash strapped.

I think perhaps they are working hard at getting a large sponsorship deal for next year (or this who knows) rather than settling for lots of smaller deals. A good luxury if you can get I suppose!!
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:38 (Ref:1243471)   #17
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is that green stripe on the engine cover of the 2005 car?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1243480)   #18
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I think it will be very difficult to find sponsorship for a Russian car. Many big businesses still don't trust the economy there, and see it as risky at best...
Nonetheless many Russian companies sponsored monoposto cars in F3000 for a space of three years, but they prefer to convert their individual brands for a big "Rossia" word in the car. Ask Christian Horner for more details.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1243484)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I have read Midland is a global business, which is part of their reason for entering F1. Midland have made it clear that this is a Midland Jordan effort this year not a Midland entry as they envisaged it and how it will appear in 2006.

From what I gather 2006 is their main focus and when they will run with Midland sponsors, etc - 2005 is simply a means to an end to run with a car and engine they inherited and resources from within Carlin.

Karthikeyan brings in the most money, probably the largest amount brought to a team by a driver for a long time, if ever. Of this TATA is the largest contributor, it's fair comment that their representation on the car does not look in ratio to the amount they are funding the team.

On the old Jordan sponsor front, B&H have been scaling their involvement back in recents years, even if EJ had continued the deal would have been small - probably similar to what we see on the MJ car.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1243486)   #20
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
What is that green stripe on the engine cover of the 2005 car?
Is courtesy of Superfund, sponsor that swapped Minardi for Midland/Jordan this season.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1243493)   #21
mystery racer
Rookie

mystery racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
Karthikeyan brings in the most money, probably the largest amount brought to a team by a driver for a long time, if ever. Of this TATA is the largest contributor, it's fair comment that their representation on the car does not look in ratio to the amount they are funding the team.
If that is the case you could say that again. If I were TATA, I'd want a bit more on the car for my dosh!
Old 5 Mar 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1243499)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery racer
If that is the case you could say that again. If I were TATA, I'd want a bit more on the car for my dosh!
I'm sure that what they got for their money was carefull worded in the contract, perhaps TATA don't want to 'appear' to be a large sponsor?

I think their interest is more in backing Karthikeyan than all the commercial opportunities of F1, at the moment.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 5 Mar 2005 at 19:14.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1243515)   #23
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand why they haven't splashed the word "MidLand F1" or something to promote the name a bit more across the car, atlest it would look like all that plain yellow space is doing something and not sitting there like a yellow banana!

But atlest it'll make Minichamps job of manufacturing this years Jordan model easy... just paint it yellow!
Old 5 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1243537)   #24
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
It is deliberate - Midland F1 starts in 2006 as far as they are concerned - this year Midland are running with what they inherited from Jordan - hence Midland Jordan to make it clear this is a 'stop gap', prior to Midland F1 in 2006.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1243542)   #25
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, have the world Jordan splashed across the car? (I've seen Jordan do this, on the engine cover for a few years now... looked pretty cool!)