Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2024, 16:52 (Ref:4212221)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Canadian Grand Prix 2024

Usually one of the most spectacular Grands Prix of the year. Usually drama. I'm not convinced we have a title battle on our hands like some suggest, but we're certainly getting a good number of winners on our hands again. Leclerc seems to be refinding some form at the right time and is starting to outperform Sainz.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 18:37 (Ref:4212235)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Like this Grand Prix - the circuit certainly presents its challenges (as do the "little" marmots running around) and the location on an island in the middle of a river gives it a special feeling. As a former oarsman, having the rowing lake right behind the pit lane and the shuttle boats is also cool.

Weather looks like it'll play a part here this year, as we have often seen in the past. Does tend to take the race down a "lottery" path but also does offer opportunities for big swings at strategy on when to run wet weather tyres and for teams to take significant gambles around that. Will the gambles pay off or will they fall on their faces? All remains to be seen and it should be great entertainment finding out.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 18:44 (Ref:4212238)   #3
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any f1 fan who's in Montreal for the Canadian GP and looking to meet fellow f1 fans tonight should consider attending this meetup which is happening at 8:00 PM at the Moose Bawr.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 19:56 (Ref:4212253)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
First FP seems to have been very wet to start with......Lando from Sainz and LeClerc, followed by Hamilton and Verstappen......

FP2 coming up soon.
Old 7 Jun 2024, 23:09 (Ref:4212275)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is there any way Mr Villeneuve could be restricted from entering the paddock, or simply to just stop spewing his vile, horrible, vindictive attack on Mr Ricciardo ?

Here

His co-presenters were stunned at the level he took it to.

It would be easy to recount the impressive BAR period under Mr Villeneuve’s guidance… yet it would be easier to just eject him..
Old Yesterday, 00:02 (Ref:4212284)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Him being in the booth is enough for me to consider skipping one of my favorite rounds of the series, just can't stand his dumb comments and attacks for shock value and views
Old Yesterday, 01:30 (Ref:4212294)   #7
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Is there any way Mr Villeneuve could be restricted from entering the paddock, or simply to just stop spewing his vile, horrible, vindictive attack on Mr Ricciardo ?

Here

It would be easy to recount the impressive BAR period under Mr Villeneuve’s guidance… yet it would be easier to just eject him..
This was one of the few times JV was fairly on the money. He just didn't sugar coat anything like the other presenters do.

Ricciardo's return to the grid has felt more like image over results, or style over substance. He's very marketable, but presently not very quick.

I like Ricciardo a lot but it's difficult to see where his career can go from here. I agree with the notion of questioning why he's still there, especially when we have had the unusual situation of not a single driver change between seasons.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 (Ref:4212302)   #8
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Here

This guy is just relentless on his attack on DR.

I might be Aussie biased but surely theres others worse in the field than Danny and have not achieved any F1 wins at all ? Yes he isnt setting the world on fire right now but neither has the bottom half of the field in most instances.

Time will tell I guess.
Old Yesterday, 07:07 (Ref:4212318)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think JV is right. There's only 20 seats so anyone who isn't on it every weekend must come under the spotlight.

Ricciardo ism't the only one though?
Old Yesterday, 07:15 (Ref:4212320)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I think JV is right. There's only 20 seats so anyone who isn't on it every weekend must come under the spotlight.

Ricciardo ism't the only one though?
Must be scared of slinging off at his usual favourite target in Mr Stroll in his home town..
Old Yesterday, 09:07 (Ref:4212339)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One of my favourite GPs on the calendar, so looking forward to this. It'll be interesting to see if Super Max and Red Bull can return to form.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 (Ref:4212360)   #12
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

I might be Aussie biased but surely theres others worse in the field than Danny and have not achieved any F1 wins at all ? Yes he isnt setting the world on fire right now but neither has the bottom half of the field in most instances.

Time will tell I guess.
I thought JV was over the top but tend to agree with his overall sentiment.
Ricciardo is 10 years older than Lawson,has mostly been in decline for 6 years and has now missed out on the Red Bull drive (understandably).
From any team planning point of view there is no reason to keep Ricciardo ahead of Lawson in 2025.
Drivers don’t get better at Ricciardo’s age.From 2014 to 2018 he was one of the 4 best drivers in F1 but those days are long gone.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 (Ref:4212362)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People a bit confused as to why JV was talking about Danny rather than someone else - well he was asked about Danny. It'd be weird if they ask his opinion on Danny and he said "Yeah but have you seen that Ocon fella?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

Time will tell I guess.
There is worse on the grid than Danny Ric for sure.

One of the issues Danny has is the gap between expectation and reality. 12 months ago he was being lined up for the RBR seat. Literally the best car on the grid. And now we're discussed if he should even stay in the sport. He's been on the decline since he left RBR the first time and the narrative that it's the cars doesn't hold water anymore.
Old Yesterday, 13:43 (Ref:4212382)   #14
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope for a dry Quali
Old Yesterday, 14:10 (Ref:4212389)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Improving the fans understanding of DR’s drop in form would be a better form of journalism than the hot takes imo.

Was it injury, focus, training, personal life, attitude, equipment changes etc…what changed? We see this type of sports reporting in so many other sports but never in F1.

Granted I think some still a really good job parsing the technology/equipment changes in the sport, and fewer still do a good job at weaving together the mess of unattributable quotes into a coherent narrative, but those are the exceptions really imo.

The rest is talking heads saying outrageous things, fighting with b list celebrities, and taking laps with a current driver asking them about their favourite foods.

Anyways, rant over lol.

Also hope for a dry quali and race!
Old Yesterday, 16:04 (Ref:4212409)   #16
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Must be scared of slinging off at his usual favourite target in Mr Stroll in his home town..
If you look online you can fine articles in which he was dunking on Stroll yesterday as well. Just not quite as brutal as with Daniel. Regarding Lance he said...
Quote:
Did he ever have a choice? Did he ever want to really become a race car driver? Or was it his father’s dream? The father has always been extremely passionate about racing," Villeneuve said. "I knew him in my Indy Car days. He always wanted to be a racer himself. He was not allowed, and he’s living his dream. Did his son actually have the choice or not?
And frankly I agree with JV's assessment for Daniel. The thing is, you just don't see the pundits being that direct on the broadcasts.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 16:13 (Ref:4212412)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

One of the issues Danny has is the gap between expectation and reality. 12 months ago he was being lined up for the RBR seat. Literally the best car on the grid. And now we're discussed if he should even stay in the sport. He's been on the decline since he left RBR the first time and the narrative that it's the cars doesn't hold water anymore.
Agree. I think to be a top notch F1 driver you need to have consistently high performance. Most drivers on the grid can have a good day every so often and rise above their natural location in the pecking order. But if you are a Lewis or Hamilton, you mostly have good days and a few bad days, not the other way around (Lewis might be on his decline, but that is a topic for another thread!) Yes the equipment matters, but that is why you have a teammate as a measuring stick.

What is rough for Daniel is that he occasionally has a good race and everyone is like "The Honey badger is back!" and then the next race he is back to his new normal of average performance. Which given his experience is not acceptable.

And as pointed out, there are worse drivers on the grid than Daniel. But nobody is talking about them being candidates for moving up to top teams. The narrative for Daniel is this long running "comeback" which just doesn't materialize. And to JV's point about his personality. Honestly I can't disagree. It is a double edged sword for Daniel. He can easily be a fan favorite due to his personality, but it also is currently setting expectations that he seems unable to achieve consistently. Imagine if Daniel had a neutral or bland personality. I fully believe he wouldn't be in F1 at this point in time.

Richard
Old Yesterday, 16:29 (Ref:4212415)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Danny Ric won his first GP at Canada in 2014.
Old Yesterday, 21:02 (Ref:4212445)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really fun and close Q3!
Old Yesterday, 21:08 (Ref:4212448)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
George Russell takes pole as Super Max fails to take the top spot and settles for 2nd. Norris and Piastri 3rd and 4th. Looks like JV may have to eat his words about Danny Ric.
Old Today, 00:47 (Ref:4212460)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old Today, 03:01 (Ref:4212473)   #22
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
People a bit confused as to why JV was talking about Danny rather than someone else - well he was asked about Danny. It'd be weird if they ask his opinion on Danny and he said "Yeah but have you seen that Ocon fella?"

Starting with Sergio Perez.

This is the 3rd race in a row where Perez is the slowest Red Bull, including the Vcarbs.

Shame on Red Bull for that contract extention.
Old Today, 06:39 (Ref:4212487)   #23
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a great qualifying session, with the top 4 cars very very close. And I think you could add that Hamilton could have been up there too given his speed in FP1 and FP2.
We (read me) whinge about these heavy spec-like cars but they do seem to be exceedingly well matched on speed without having to result to stuff like BOP.
Old Today, 06:58 (Ref:4212489)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
George Russell takes pole as Super Max fails to take the top spot and settles for 2nd. Norris and Piastri 3rd and 4th. Looks like JV may have to eat his words about Danny Ric.
Let's see how he does in the race before cancelling JV's judgement.
Even if he score a top 6 and bests Yuki he will still need to consistently do that to truly warrant praise.
Old Today, 09:23 (Ref:4212526)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We've been here with Danny before. "Oh Honey Badger is back!" then literally the next day it's all fallen apart yet.

JV was absolutely correct about one thing - if it wasn't for Dannys personality, he wouldn't be in F1 anymore. Danny is right to capitlise on this to get out of his slump of course. But if he had the personality of Ericson (who is a lovely guy, but not exciting) then he wouldn't still be in F1, or got a second chance at Red Bull.