Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Apr 2003, 09:35 (Ref:572931)   #1
calcium
Racer

calcium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash barrier safety????

I was watching a TV program last night and it showed a car going straight through ( not over) a crash barrier completely demolishing it.

This was at Oulton Park and I think it was at lodge corner. This horrified me, I was lucky enough to get trackside at Oulton Park last season and I felt perfectly safe walking behind the crash barrier, now I'm not so sure.

I know motorsport is dangerous and very unpredictable, you're not 100% safe as a spectator but I really thought the crash barriers were a long stronger than demonstrated in the clip I saw last night, very, very worrying.
Old 18 Apr 2003, 17:24 (Ref:573354)   #2
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calcium, fortunately it doesn't happen that often but if something hits the barriers hard enough and fast enough then it's always a possibility - Ye cannae change the laws of physics!

When you're down behind the barriers always keep an eye on what's happening and if something starts heading towards where you're standing then be somewhere else in a hurry. Even if the car in most cases won't come thru there's always a chance of debris making it over the top. As you already said - Motorsport is dangerous, it gets more dangerous the closer you get to it!

Stay Safe
Neil
Old 18 Apr 2003, 19:31 (Ref:573457)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Crash barrier safety????

Quote:
Originally posted by calcium
I felt perfectly safe walking behind the crash barrier, now I'm not so sure.
Nowhere's perfectly safe. Wherever you are, you must have your escape route planned - it also helps, as I've proved recently, to have a plan 'B'!

Will we see you at Oulton this weekend? Not sure where we'll be, but you've got my mobile number, haven't you?
Old 18 Apr 2003, 19:32 (Ref:573458)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Life is not safe, just chose where you want to take the risks.

Jim
Old 19 Apr 2003, 05:05 (Ref:573753)   #5
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crikey Jim, that's rather philosophical!
Old 19 Apr 2003, 08:15 (Ref:573807)   #6
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Jim finally been tainted by the esoteric cloisters of academe?... whatever, it is a brilliant quote (jw's or otherwise...)
Old 19 Apr 2003, 10:36 (Ref:573915)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
I was watching a TV program last night and it showed a car going straight through ( not over) a crash barrier completely demolishing it.

This was at Oulton Park and I think it was at lodge corner. This horrified me, I was lucky enough to get trackside at Oulton Park last season and I felt perfectly safe walking behind the crash barrier, now I'm not so sure.

I know motorsport is dangerous and very unpredictable, you're not 100% safe as a spectator but I really thought the crash barriers were a long stronger than demonstrated in the clip I saw last night, very, very worrying.
Keep in mind that "ARMCO" id designed to deform and/or bend like a rubber strip to absorb energy and hopefully keep the vehicle from going over the 300 foot precipice into the stream below. Same deal on the race track, don't be near it when the car hits. Nothing should be attached to it because it will be driven sideways when the barrier deforms. If it is close to the track near a "stop" corner then additional "cushioning" needs to be in place (tyre barrier). If this the case where you saw the incident, then lobby for increased protection
Old 22 Apr 2003, 08:00 (Ref:576199)   #8
calcium
Racer

I felt perfectly safe walking behind the crash barrier, now I'm not so sure.

Ummmmmm, maybe I could have worded that better.I don't feel "perfectly safe" but I maybe would have put more faith into the barrier before I saw the footage than I do now.

Dave and Karen and all the other marshals I saw over the weekend, thank you for making me feel welcome. It was really nice to meet you all and I hope you realised that I do have concern for my (and others) safety ( and eyes in the back of my head)which maybe isn't the impression you got with this post
Old 22 Apr 2003, 12:11 (Ref:576374)   #9
blueblackboy
Rookie

blueblackboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a regular at Oulton, I would not put any faith in the barriers whatsoever. Always have somewhere to run away to as the barriers have a nasty habit of either bending or simply collapsing. I know barriers are meant to give a little to absorb the impact, but the ones at Oulton seem to give a little too much on occasions!! I don't mean to be critical but the MSA seem to turn a blind eye to this as over the past few years it seems to be a regular occurrence, and is a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 12:53 (Ref:576409)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Dave and Karen and all the other marshals I saw over the weekend, thank you for making me feel welcome.
We were pleased to see you.....but why did you have to bring the rain with you?

Now, about that website........
Old 22 Apr 2003, 13:09 (Ref:576433)   #11
calcium
Racer

Noooo, not the web site!!!! Hey, I didn't bring the rain, it came from down South and I'm up North.

P.S. Ooooo, congrates on 900 posts, have a drink

Last edited by calcium; 22 Apr 2003 at 13:11.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:29 (Ref:576660)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
I was watching a TV program last night and it showed a car going straight through a crash barrier completely demolishing it....This was at Oulton Park ......I really thought the crash barriers were a lot stronger...
Oulton Park is built on very sandy ground in places and we do encounter a lot of problems with barriers (Although not much usually goes through them) "Falling Over"
Because the posts holding the armco upright are bedded into this sandy foundation - anything that his them (Druids is a fave) pretty hard (Porsches are typical) usually means a delay whilst they are "re-planted". Can sometimes cause quite lenghthy disruptions to timetables.
So drivers please note - don't crash at Druids as you'll hold us all up. It's better to have an "Off" somewhere like Cascades (But mind the pond)

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 22 Apr 2003 at 16:30.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:36 (Ref:576668)   #13
calcium
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand

Will we see you at Oulton this weekend? Not sure where we'll be, but you've got my mobile number, haven't you?
Hi Dave, yes I'll be there at the weekend........Doh!!!!!
(sorry, missed this post)
Old 24 Apr 2003, 11:11 (Ref:579257)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The attached pic was taken at Sandown several years ago. The armco ended up bent back about 1 metre after a near head on impact BUT it was pushed back nearly 3 metres on impact but sprang back to only 1 metre after the car bounced off it.
Attached Thumbnails
expl9775_80.jpg  
Old 24 Apr 2003, 11:54 (Ref:579292)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Re: Re: Crash barrier safety????

Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Because the posts holding the armco upright are bedded into this sandy foundation - anything that his them (Druids is a fave) pretty hard (Porsches are typical) usually means a delay whilst they are "re-planted".
That may even be deliberate. The post 'falling over' absorbs some of the kinetic energy while giving the vehicle a 'softer' stop. If the posts were embedded in concrete it's conceivable that in a very big impact they could break, making their reinstatement a day's, rather than half an hour's, work!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 12:39 (Ref:579347)   #16
calcium
Racer

With the posts embeded in sand, does this effect the correct working of the crash barrier?
Old 24 Apr 2003, 12:40 (Ref:579349)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Re: Re: Crash barrier safety????

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
.....kinetic energy.....?
That's a bit posh! I took up marshalling because I was useless at Physics!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 12:41 (Ref:579351)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
With the posts embeded in sand, does this effect the correct working of the crash barrier?
No! It just means you get covered in sand!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 13:07 (Ref:579382)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Shot

Quote:
Originally posted by PVDA
The attached pic was taken at Sandown several years ago. The armco ended up bent back about 1 metre after a near head on impact BUT it was pushed back nearly 3 metres on impact but sprang back to only 1 metre after the car bounced off it.
Amasing pic - could have made the lucky snappee some dollars I suppose
Old 26 Apr 2003, 13:43 (Ref:581433)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Top Shot

Quote:
Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Amasing pic - could have made the lucky snappee some dollars I suppose
The off was between "Gum Tree" and "Dandy Rd" during the 500. The snappee spent the whole day down at Dandy Rd in the rain just waiting for this to happen (I was flagging at Gum Tree) and you've now seen the fruits of his labor.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 10:53 (Ref:581960)   #21
BFC
Racer

BFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Top Shot

Quote:
Originally posted by PVDA
The off was between "Gum Tree" and "Dandy Rd" during the 500. The snappee spent the whole day down at Dandy Rd in the rain just waiting for this to happen (I was flagging at Gum Tree) and you've now seen the fruits of his labor.
probably why he crashed......trying to figure out why and what u were waving flags for lol
Old 27 Apr 2003, 21:36 (Ref:582372)   #22
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the rule of thumb is never trust any barrier to stop a car.
Old 27 Apr 2003, 21:59 (Ref:582390)   #23
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by G Tanner
I think the rule of thumb is never trust any barrier to stop a car.
The line I've always used is....:

"if you can see the cars, they can reach you!! "
Old 28 Apr 2003, 11:46 (Ref:582756)   #24
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Re: Top Shot

Quote:
Originally posted by BFC
probably why he crashed......trying to figure out why and what u were waving flags for lol
Thanks BFC I'll remember that next time we share a vehicle
Old 28 Apr 2003, 16:12 (Ref:582959)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
The line I've always used is....:

"if you can see the cars, they can reach you!! "
So if I shut my eyes they'll go away?