Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2009, 21:25 (Ref:2574451)   #1
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Abu (HD)abi?

so was this race filmed in true HD?

with the exception of ignoring Heidfeld, i thought the race director did an amazing job mixing footage of the track action with the crazy helicopter shots of the marina, but more than that the quality of the images were downright amazing. the only thing i can think of was that this was filmed in true HD.

in particular there was one segment showing Kobayashi's onboard (or side view) camera that quite literally blew my mind. also a front suspension camera (on one of the Renault's i think) that provided a level of detail i have never seen before.

anyone have an info on this?
Old 2 Nov 2009, 22:39 (Ref:2574504)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If they were they weren't giving it to broadcasters. Supposedly there's a chance it will be in proper HD next year.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2574789)   #3
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't comment on the onboard cameras, but all the trackside cameras I saw were proper HD bits of kit.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2574809)   #4
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under the impression that all this season's races were filmed in HD.

Thought I saw a press release or similar at the start or just before Aus.

Of course, it could just be that everything at the circuit was shiney and new so it looked better
Old 3 Nov 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2574853)   #5
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of things are filmed with HD equipment nowadays, but the F1 broadcasts are still in SD as far as I know. Would make a lot of sense for them to start making HD available, given that several other championships (WTCC, GP2, Renault World Series) can already be viewed in HD on Eurosport.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2574872)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not all the on-board cameras are HD yet. The ones on the top of the roll hoop are NOT, however the new ones that are back in the old positions of eye level to one side of the helmet or the other are I believe new HD cameras from Gigawave.

Even in the SD broadcast there was a noticeable difference between these and the SD cameras on the Roll hoops.

What's probably holding things back from a full HD world feed, is the gallery equipment. Is the FOM TV trucks/fly away kit, fully HD? That includes the video/replay suites etc.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2574948)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks for the insights guys. did some looking around as well and im starting to think that any improvement in quality i think i may have noticed is probably down to the use of better equipment like that side shot as Scots mentioned. while it may have been filmed with some HD cameras it looks certain that the race was not broadcasted in HD anywhere.

although, i think Bravo may have been closest, in that i just got caught up in all the new and shiney bits at the track
Old 5 Nov 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2576024)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i thought the race director did an amazing job mixing footage of the track action with the crazy helicopter shots of the marina
I only watched the latter half or third of the race. Well, I tried, but I could only manage to watch a lengthy Middle Eastern tourism footage with some small, weird-shpaped cars in it. Not that there was much action on the track, but the filming crew didn't even try to fake it.