Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Jan 2002, 21:13 (Ref:195752)   #1
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Soper retires

first of all..i'd like to say that this is my first post that i've done for a very long time (unless i forgot about the few earlier last year )

anywayz...back to the post...i think its a great shame that Soper is retiring...he has brung alot of experience to Peugeot and almost won them their first race last year. If Vic Lee are going to be running the Lexus's, i bet Soper will bring the team up to the front. Right now, the BTCC needs the good oldies of the BTCC to remain but i guess David Leslie and Anthony Reid will fill that spot for him.

So, whats next for Vic Lee since they have lost a driver who had alot of valuable experience of racing?
Old 8 Jan 2002, 21:15 (Ref:195754)   #2
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW...i actually posted a topic not taken yet in the BTCC Forum lol
Old 8 Jan 2002, 22:54 (Ref:195794)   #3
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
He can't be retiring! Where'd you find out about this? I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!
Old 8 Jan 2002, 23:02 (Ref:195797)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a few sites carrying this news story, redshoes is one, so it seems pretty official.

Quote:
www.redshoes-racing.com
Steve Soper has confirmed that he is retiring from motorsport. Speaking to DailySportscar.com, the former Peugeot works driver admitted the decision had been prompted by an end of season shunt at Brands Hatch. Although Soper appeared uninjured he has since taken medical advice and decided to call it a day.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 09:26 (Ref:195903)   #5
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is disappointing for Steve.
He would have been great at the wheel of a Lexus.
However, he has had an absolutely brilliant career, but only one title to the best of my knowledge: Japanese Super Touring champion in 1995
He has also won at Spa, Nurburgring, Macau many times.
He also raced at Bathurst twice, I think. Once in a Rover, then in the Texaco Sierra, winning the 1987 Bathurst 1000, only to be disqualified a few months later. He did not return to the Mountain. Who can blame him. But it would have been nice for him, and us fans, to be able to see him fly across the top of the Mountain.

All the best to him in whatever he does in the future.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 10:22 (Ref:195917)   #6
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess that means we won't see him and clelnad in a race again then
Old 9 Jan 2002, 10:25 (Ref:195918)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree, he will be missed. The days of Smokin Jo and Steve in a VLM Beemer were always ones to remember. Good luck Steve in whatever it is you decide to do now.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 11:17 (Ref:195932)   #8
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was an interesting interview with him at the Goodwood Revival Meeting last year, where he commented on how fed up he was in the BTCC (I'm paraphrasing here) and how much he was enjoying the Historic scene, and how he'd like to do more of it in the future. Does this announcement mean he is never donning a helmet again, or just that he is quitting from professional racing?
Old 9 Jan 2002, 13:37 (Ref:195976)   #9
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its such a shame. he is such a great driver. i really thought he'd carry on for a couple of more years. i don't think that there has been anyone more exicting to watch in the btcc than steve.he is just too cool! this is real disappointment.i can see why perhaps he wanted to call it a day, but im think i speak for everyone when i say how much he will be missed.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 16:12 (Ref:196063)   #10
Aidan J Harvey
Rookie

Aidan J Harvey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not dead you know. He's only retired. Everyone has a shelf life. I guess Steve is past his in his opinion.

Not as if he contributed much to the BTCC since 1993 anyway.....
Old 9 Jan 2002, 17:36 (Ref:196107)   #11
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think he will 'hang up the gloves'. With so much experience the lure of racing will probably attract him to Goodwood etc.
Soper vs Gerry Marshall in a pair of Cortinas - better than the British GP anyday!
Old 9 Jan 2002, 18:23 (Ref:196136)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Now that WOULD be worth going to see! Great idea Andy!
Old 9 Jan 2002, 18:34 (Ref:196147)   #13
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sopers passion wasn't in it at times this year and he found it a bit of a long haul.

He will be missed by nearly all BTCC fans I would imagine. But It's time for new heroes and legends to be created.

I think he's pride was snapped in half at times, and his state of mind isn't perfect for hard racing and he's taken the same policy as Damon Hill, and the racing really wasn't stimulating him.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 20:31 (Ref:196235)   #14
Aidan J Harvey
Rookie

Aidan J Harvey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF
I don't think he will 'hang up the gloves'. With so much experience the lure of racing will probably attract him to Goodwood etc.
Soper vs Gerry Marshall in a pair of Cortinas - better than the British GP anyday!
He raced an Austin A40 there in 2001.
Old 9 Jan 2002, 21:55 (Ref:196276)   #15
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aidan J Harvey
He's not dead you know.
Good comeback.

I don't think I can forget the in-car clip of him at Mondello this year, when he goes from 6th gear down to 1st in something like 1 second. Incredible.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 08:22 (Ref:196411)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Whatever he decides to do in the future, you can't take away that he was a damn good driver in his time. I really do hope he does some historic or classic car racing and allows us to see his excellent driving skills for a few years yet!
Old 10 Jan 2002, 11:10 (Ref:196465)   #17
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Autosport, it says that Steve is retring because he injured his back in the Brands crash, and doctors have advised him that a further such crash would be NASTY.

He said it was a shame, since he had MORE THAN ONE offer on the table for 2002.

A great shame indeed.
Old 10 Jan 2002, 16:48 (Ref:196611)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a lot of "what if's". If he was offered a Vauxhall drive, where would he be now?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 18:21 (Ref:196666)   #19
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where he is, probably, because medical problems do not change depending on which team you drive for, I don't think Steve was not willing to risk the possible permanent damage full stop.

Last edited by Reido Rules; 10 Jan 2002 at 18:22.