Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jan 2004, 16:04 (Ref:831702)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yates and Roush are partners!

Robert Yates and Jack roush are now partners in the engine building business with Ford!!!
this was done when Yates and roush signed a deal giving Roush 50% of yates (through purchase) in an effort to form a toghter alliance with Ford to keep Toyota down when they show up in NASCAR.
what this has to do with sports cars is these two shops (especially roush) have been building sports car motors for years, and now Ford has to mega resources into a huge brain trust of info, not to mention they(roush) bought out that little company over in the UK famous for its turbo 4s.
good news for sports cars and blue oval fans (not to mention NASCAR who have approved a new cylinder head for Ford-oh baby the power)
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:10 (Ref:832671)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yates & Roush both have fairly extensive experience with sportscar engines....

I think Yates is probably the best Ford Builder on the planet, followed closely by Roush...

By pooling thier resources and knowledge, this could be a boon for sportscar teams who would want good power, but not necessarily what Elan offers...

I'm not saying Elan is a bad engine...far from it...so don't read anything into this...but for the bigger displacement normally-aspirated engines, this will give teams a second option for a builder...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 15:15 (Ref:832729)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

A 2nd option?
This organization will easlity create the best Ford based engine by anyone anywhere- this is a truly frightful position for evry engine builder outthere- i feel the might and skills of this new team will out power/torque and outlive most challengers- a new era in sports cars may get ushered in by such competition
Old 9 Jan 2004, 16:05 (Ref:832770)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I would agree, gttouring....but now both of us will read many posts from the "status quo" types who will tell us how the Elan is "built for sportscars, etc." and is a better option...

But as wel all know, Roush originally built engines for Panoz, then Panoz got Yates on board, and finally Panoz hired two Yates engineers to spearhead their Elan program....

Both of these builders have been working every aspect of this Ford-based engine for a couple of decades now....they know them inside and out...and how to build them for power, endurance, and -- particularly in the case of Roush -- good fuel mileage without sacrificing performance...

Also, I felt that the Yates engine that Matthews ran last year (for two whole races...) was much stronger than the Elan engine...and according to some posts I had read from a member of that team on another forum back in the summer, the entire intake system, heads, EMU and EFI systems were in his opinion -- based on test times, dyno work etc., -- far superior to what the Elan engine currently offered...

With any kind of long-term commitment by a team to that engine at all, it would be the best non-VAG power option you could get...

Let's see if anyone goes to them for engines in this form of racing...

If it were me...I sure would...

You might have some growing pains, but in the long run, these guys will build you the best Ford-based package that can be acquired...bar none...

Old 9 Jan 2004, 16:35 (Ref:832804)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

And (i realy can't remember the name of the Company- starts with an "M" in the UK- mostly turbos and such)
well with Roush's acquisition over there the new Turbo technology infused into the Yates/Roush technology coffers this is really going to open a box. now the famed Roush (originally in sportscars before NASCAR anyway-remember Trans-Am and IMSA) well the Roush V8's with their incredible endurance and considerable power will have access to Turbo Tech and new materials to handle cylinder pressures- they will indeed be a force- i am surprised no one is concerned about this at all
yates or roush i forget- did develop the Aurora nee GM engines for DTM- so their expertise is cross branded.
this is really exciting.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:32 (Ref:832903)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I am aware of the long-time Roush history in IMSA and Trans-Am before NASCAR....thus my reference to their extensive experience and the "endurance & mileage with power" references above...

Both entities bring a lot to the table...together, they will be formidable, indeed....

Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:42 (Ref:832994)   #7
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Don't forget until 1978 Jack Roush was exclusively in drag racing, particularily pro-stock.
Bob
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:57 (Ref:833007)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Now THAT I didn't know...

Thanks, Bob Riebe

Old 9 Jan 2004, 22:10 (Ref:833073)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what will the new enterprise be called?
"Yoush"?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:07 (Ref:835946)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Their true name would be "BestFordEnginesEver"

all one word....

or in NASCAR, it could be "Unbeatable"....

but for Sportscars, I'd Say "BestNon-VAGPower"

no other option would touch them....

Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:26 (Ref:835974)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not slap a sticker emblazoned "Cosworth" over the door?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:32 (Ref:835984)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Because they aren't "Cosworth"...

But they (Yates & Roush) build superb Ford racing engines...

Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:38 (Ref:835988)   #13
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody have a link/story/press release regarding this subject?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 22:51 (Ref:835999)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Because they aren't "Cosworth"...

But they (Yates & Roush) build superb Ford racing engines...
I know, but with Ford's involvement in th emerging of these 2 entities, should it not have taken the quantum leap to build up the Cosworth Racing assets?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jan 2004, 14:28 (Ref:836703)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I think Ford's focus is on the NASCAR side of this, to be honest, because everybody knows that Toyota is coming...and they will spend whatever it takes to succeed....

But the fact that both of these gentlemen have built engines for sportscars, as recently as last year in the case of Yates, and Roush spent many years in IMSA and Trans Am, ells me that they would be quite amenable to taking on a commission froma racing team to build a sportscar-worthy 6.0 L beast from the 351 Windsor block....

I would agree that Ford would be wise as a company to do what it takes to help Cosworth with the development of their CART engine for sportscars....especially with today's news that the IRL is looking to bid on CART assets in the Bankruptcy hearing here in Indy on Jan. 23...

If the IRL is successful and only one series emerges from that whole mess, Cosworth will not have anywhere to run their engines....

It was probably a big reason why they jumped at the chance to do the Team Nasamax thing last year....it is a logical move....

Old 13 Jan 2004, 15:35 (Ref:836783)   #16
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M is for Mountune!!!