Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:15 (Ref:946016)   #1
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Everyone

Hey all you cart people! I have been accessing this site for a while and i didn't know there was a forum. I'll be chillin around here for a while. Let me tell you a little about myself:

I'm Andrew, i'm 16, and i live in New York.
I have been following CART since 1999 and i just recently started following the IRL series in 2002.
I got into CART because when i was 10 years old my dad bought me a computer game that had the 1995 CART series and it was a cool game...so then i saw some familiar names from the game on TV and i just continued to watch it.

Plezh to meet you guys...i hope to see you around the boards.

~Andrew
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:54 (Ref:946062)   #2
mueber
Rookie

United States
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
mueber should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome aboard Andrew. Have fun.
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:57 (Ref:946070)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
welcome to the forums Andrew , nice to have ya
Old 20 Apr 2004, 21:59 (Ref:946073)   #4
jklein6419
Racer

United States
florida
jklein6419 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great to have you, that game wouldnt happen to be indy car racing 2 would it
Old 20 Apr 2004, 23:03 (Ref:946141)   #5
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no...it is just called CART racing made by Sierra.
it's quite old and crappy if i say so myself, but fun nonetheless
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:18 (Ref:946209)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The game was originally called Indy Car II. I believe Papyrus was actually an independant company at when the game came out. I think that the first point that the name changed was when Sierra (who bought Papyrus) produced their 3D accelerated version of the game that supported only Rendition video cards (which Sierra happened to sell). Later all copies had the name "CART" in the title. At the time it was the most realistic and best auto simulation available. I haven't really played an auto sim lately, but I'm not sure that Papyrus' now dated Grand Prix Legends has been surpassed in realism.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 01:41 (Ref:946223)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to the board, drewdawg727!
New Yorkers are few-and-far-between around here, it seems!
Quote:
I got into CART because when i was 10 years old my dad bought me a computer game...
Vidgames can be such a fantastic marketing tool. Last year, Pook was talking about a new CART game that was supposedly already being worked on. Safe to say that the idea has fizzled out. I've got CPR but I'm more-than-ready for something new!
Old 21 Apr 2004, 11:28 (Ref:946549)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the site mate.

The original World Circuit (or Formula 1 Grand Prix, as it was known in Europe) was one of the main things that got me hooked on Formula 1 - and it was a small step towards otehr forms of racing.

Great insight from Snrub. Papyrus did the original classic Indianaplos 500 simualtion in 1989, and then did the full IndyCar schedule a few years later. Grand Prix Legends is indeed superb - not easy, and requires a lot of patience, but an excellent simulation, a superb game, and a great insight into what may have been a better era.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 18:59 (Ref:946989)   #9
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by drewdawg727
no...it is just called CART racing made by Sierra.
it's quite old and crappy if i say so myself, but fun nonetheless
I had that game. It came with a mutimedia kit (CD ROM, sound card, & speakers), years ago. I played it a few times, but the only video game, I was any good at, was Pong (ask your parents).

It's good to see a 16 year old, interested in Champ Car. You are the future of the sport. Welcome to the forum.

Jeff
Old 21 Apr 2004, 19:27 (Ref:947018)   #10
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
The game was originally called Indy Car II. I believe Papyrus was actually an independant company at when the game came out. I think that the first point that the name changed was when Sierra (who bought Papyrus) produced their 3D accelerated version of the game that supported only Rendition video cards (which Sierra happened to sell). Later all copies had the name "CART" in the title. At the time it was the most realistic and best auto simulation available. I haven't really played an auto sim lately, but I'm not sure that Papyrus' now dated Grand Prix Legends has been surpassed in realism.
Pretty much dead on Snrub. Indy Car Racing was released first, then about a year later Indy Car Racing II was released. After the IRL split, and because of possible legal issues, Sierra/Papyrus changed the name of the game to CART Racing. The rendition enhanced version had already been released though I am pretty sure. Anyways, yes the games were very advanced for the times. Grand Prix Legends blew every other game out of the market when it was released, and its still more realistic than 95% of the sims being released todoay. However, Sierra has since released Nascar Racing 2003, which by FAR surpasses even Grand Prix Legends. Now before anybody starts ragging on me for bringing up a Nascar game, let me point out a few facts. First off, the only racing games I like are the ULTRA realistic ones, I'll take good physics over good graphics any day. NR2003 by far has the best physics around, not to mention the fact that they are 100's of road courses than can be downloaded for it, almost any track in the world is basically available for it, which is awesome. The graphics also are up there with any other game. And the best part is there are mods for it, that use Trans-Am physics, and it is VERY VERY good. Check out www.projectwildifre.com for the best mod out there. Its basically a team of ex-Papyrus employees who do this for fun and for free. It is simply amazing. There trans-am mod has 4 cars in it, and they have released most of the tracks from the Trans-Am series, including Trois Riveire(sp?) There are other people who have made other cars that can be put into the game as well. Check it out.
Old 21 Apr 2004, 23:38 (Ref:947321)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before I was particularly interested in racing I happened to get Indianapolis 500: The simulation. Pure chance. Later I played Payrus's Nascar I and then Indycar II when it came out a year after. (Indycar I came out before Nascar I)

jjspierx: Seeing as are one of only two people on this forum who've actually driven a real open wheel car, it's pretty hard to critisize your comments on a computer game. I didn't realize there were full out mods for Trans-Am. I'm probably not going to get to do any track days this year so I may have to pick up the game.

I wonder what Papyrus will do next now that they'll be prevented by licensing from doing another Nascar game? Maybe Champcar racing? (fingers crossed!)
Old 22 Apr 2004, 00:24 (Ref:947350)   #12
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, they are basically getting out of the racing genre period from the sounds of it. Nascar Racing 2003 was released WELL over a year ago, maybe almost 2 years now, and they haven't even announced what their next project is. They have announced though, that will it will be a far cry from what they did before, and they said they will be focusing more on the console market. Very sad news indeed, there has never been a realistc game EVER released on a console. And those of you who are about to retort and say Gran Turismo is realist, have obviously not played the games mentioned above, mainly Grand Prix Legends, and Nascar Racing 2003 Season(by Papyrus)

NR2003 with the Trans-Am mod is SOOO much fun, you can race almost any track, you name, all the tracks from the 1967 F1 season are there, converted from Grand Prix Legends, all the tracks from the 1995 and 1996 CART season are there, in their respective configuarations. Pretty much any current F1 track is available. Not to mention literally 100's of other tracks. The physics are incredible, especially if you have a force-feedback wheel with peddles. I've done some online races that last almost 2 hours with 20 or so ONLINE REAL people. Now that is intense. After, I am almost as tired and sweaty and drained as after a real race. Especially when the competitors are all really good and you are racing close and make passes the whole time. Damn fun stuff. There I go talking all geeky again though. I don't have time to play anymore though, between the 55-60 hours a week I work at my job, and my racing on the weekends.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 02:15 (Ref:947411)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Out of the Racing genre? That's insain. Papyrus IS racing simulations. They created the first attempt at a actual sim and redefined the genre with each game. (Some of the laster Nascar game weren't revolutionary, but it sounds like they ended with a bang. Viper racing wasn't that good either.)

Like I said I've been a bit out of these things lately, are there not any other high quality sims out there? Before GPL I played F1 Racing Simulation which was the most realistic game of the time. There seem to be a fair number of F1 games out there, are none of them of a reasonable level of realism?

I was thinking, Brock Yates recently wrote a column in C&D insulting computer racing. Granted he was annoyed because of some Grand Turismo dork's comments, but you bring a unique perspective. You should seriously write him.
Old 22 Apr 2004, 11:55 (Ref:947769)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never liked F1RS as much as Grand Prix 2 personally - that seemed more realistic and had better handling, as well as lots mroe tracks and cars available online (you could even play CART cars and tracks on there - it wasn't faultless on ovals, and you couldn't have 2 cars from the same team in different liveries, but it was good enough)

Grand Prix 4 seems pretty realistic, but it's not as cutting-edge as the earlier titles were.