Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 May 2004, 21:50 (Ref:971335)   #1
antonyleather
Rookie

antonyleather should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problems with radio

I've had my car, second user for a few years now. It has recently developed a problem with the radio and extending aerial. Normally I would turn the radio on, the lcd display would fire up and the electric aerial would extend.

During a long trip in the rain, the aerial refused to go down. A few hours later it retracted itself as if nothing had happened. Six months since then and no problems until returning from holiday to find the radio and aerial non functional. I turn the radio on, the backlight display comes on, but there is no lcd display and the aerial doesn't move.

I've tried a new electric aerial assembly as I thought the rain might have corroded it, but this did nothing. I've also changed all relevant fuses but to no evail. I'm beginning to think it is the radio cassette itself.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Also I've tried removing the radio to fit another one and there doesn't seem to be any way of removing it! One final point, the radio is security coded. I did help someone jump start after the last time I remember it working. They didn't disconnect the battery though. Could this be the cause? Does it need resetting or something?

Any help much appreciated!
Old 15 May 2004, 07:53 (Ref:971533)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Wecome to the forum.
It sounds like a problem with the radio not the ariel. You normaly remove them with a couple of special tools which are basicly a bit of wire bent in a U shape and they have a small lug on the ends. you slide them into 4 holes the outside front edges of the face and push outwards and lift. You can buy these tools from Halfords.
If the code needs resetting it will normaly come up with 3 or 4 dashes on the display and you then enter the code. It could be that when you jump started this person that you have got a power surge and fried the radio.
You should never jump start another car with your engine running as it can have a nasty effect on your charging system.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 15 May 2004 at 07:54.
Old 15 May 2004, 10:40 (Ref:971592)   #3
antonyleather
Rookie

antonyleather should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reply. The last time I remember it working was before the jump start and I've thought its more than a coinsidence. The fact that I'm getting no display on the radio at all does tend to suggest its been fried rather than needs resetting. I'll get some of those clips today and see if I can remove it and try another one. Thanks for your help.