Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1099556)   #1
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
BMW threatens to leave F1?

http://www.planet-f1.com/teams/team_...ry_17218.shtml

Article is a week old now though, and probably just posturing on BMW's part.

Quote:
BMW are considering withdrawing from F1 after the FIA recently announced that it would be cutting engines from V10s to V8s
More at the quote.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1099558)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares?
I sure don't.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1099560)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what I understood BMW don't want the 2.4l engines, but if it introduced they will follow that route.

This is similar to the Honda position.

I think.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1099561)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Who cares?
I sure don't.
If you don't care what happens in F1, why are you reading and posting in this part of the forum?

The article states that they would opt out completely if they went to 2.4. Perhaps a spin by the article, I really don't know.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 17 Sep 2004 at 17:34.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1099566)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see this as nothing more than posturing by the major teams. They want a bigger say and a bigger slice, and until they get that they'll make life more difficult for the FIA.

I sincerely hope none of the major teams carry out any threat to leave F1 altogether - there's enough to worry about with Jaguar leaving.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1099603)   #6
Alpine Star
Rookie

Alpine Star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Jaguar-Ford leaving, 2 other teams are on the virge of a nervous brakedown, at least that is my guess....

The way it looks now, only 16 cars at the start of 2005, my guess is that at least one other team has to pull out. And still they don't want to rip out electronics, loose the fancy downforcestuff, cut the enginepower and put slicks back on...

Oh well,
I understand the new F3000 will be amazingly much like F1 should become...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1099656)   #7
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
Who cares?
I sure don't.
Well with an attitude like that it is no wonder that the pinnacle of motor sport is fast becoming a shadow of its former self.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1099661)   #8
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just BMW trying to get what they want by turning the thumb screws. Let them go. Formula one is far the worse for the involvement of all these car manufacturers. F1 existed long before all this and would continue without these fair weather friends. (excepting Ferrari)
Old 17 Sep 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1099664)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even at a time like this when Jag have pulled out... the bigger manufacturers are thinking about their own interests rather than the sport....
the article is a week old but they mustve had some hint at the time...

gone are the days when teams used to work for sheer passion of the sport... its sadly all about money...
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:23 (Ref:1099794)   #10
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats wrong with 900 bhp engines? ffs they had 15000bhp engines with chassis that was like cream crackers compared to todays cars...

2.4 v8 is dumbing f1!! poxy 650 bhp?? where is the challenge? f1 should have some risk..other wise race tin tops
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1099796)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fondmetal - we've heard all these "it won't be F1" type claims before and it always does fine.

Incidentally there's never been a 15000 bhp engine!

1500 maybe!
Old 17 Sep 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1099801)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not in a car anyway
Old 17 Sep 2004, 23:52 (Ref:1099843)   #13
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol meant 1500 in the turbo days...
Old 18 Sep 2004, 03:08 (Ref:1099887)   #14
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1500 on qualifying days.... but more like a "poxy" 650 bhp on race day..... don't remember anyone complaining "these turbos are too slow".

Back on topic.... if an engine supplier wants to influence future engine rules, the time to do it is now.... all you have to do if offer to supply Jordan and Minardi for 2005, 2006, and the FIA will be very happy to hear your ideas on engine rules.

Not that BMW has shown any desire to supply another team.... well they did back in the 1980's (BMW turbo) but not in recent years.

Last edited by alfasud; 18 Sep 2004 at 03:10.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1101089)   #15
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well....
Jags gone.....with Jordan and Minardi teetering on the edge and both Ferrari and BMW threatening to quit...
2005 looks like a non-event already.
Bernie has suggested 3 car teams....at this rate how about 4 car teams.
Frankly I'm worried...very worried.

And I amongst many others here do care ASCII Man...why watch F1 if you don't care?
If F1 goes under, you'll switch to watching darts or ladies' handbag throwing?
Not quite the same.

I slate F1 often but when you are faced with the prospect of no F1, I think we should be grateful for what we have...even if its a way from being the sport we all desire...at least until things stabilise.

Peter

Last edited by Lotusonpole; 19 Sep 2004 at 15:05.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1101102)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If they want to leave, then leave.
F1 should not be held hostage just because some manufacturer makes demands about future regulations.

Jeez, talk about tight asses...

By the way, i care more about F1 than you people probably think, so take that **** somewhere else.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 19 Sep 2004 at 15:28.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1101130)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well manufacturer support hits a nerve around here I'm not sure whether it is all manufacturers or just BMW.

However most manufacturers are acting like this and, let's face it, teams and all involved have all wanted things changed or not in the sport. Turbos, non turbos, skirts, water bottles, whenever anything changes some think it is unfair because they'll lose out.

Honda have said similar things to BMW, although it seems they are commited even if there is a change, but they don't want the change. And say so.

If a manufacturer, team or driver doesn't like the changes then they should say so. If they want to leave because of them, well that is their choice. Although it'd be a shame.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1101450)   #18
Driver
Racer

Australia
Bundaberg, Queensland
Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But didn't BMW just spend a shed load of money developing a V10 for the new M5 to link it to F1? I would be a bit peeved if I was them.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 23:47 (Ref:1101488)   #19
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
And if manufacturers pull out, where does that leave the minor matter of engine supply? Or would you have drivers poke their legs out of the bottom of the cars, a la Fred Flintstone?

(God, don't suggest that to Max Mosley...)
Old 19 Sep 2004, 23:54 (Ref:1101492)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more manufacturers that quit F1 the better. They have torn the heart of the sport wide open.

The best days of F1 weren't fought between souless corporations. They were fought between teams who are there to race.

Maybe if another manufacturer pulls out it'll give F1 the ****ing giant kick up the arse it needs.

Jaguar leaving obviously hasn't done enough.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 00:06 (Ref:1101501)   #21
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW has invested a lot of money to its F1 project, and I believe they have right to express their opinion, but I hope people don't take their threats too seriously. They may leave or stay, but they should not be allowed to dominate the rules more than any other team.

Last edited by Paarma; 20 Sep 2004 at 00:07.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 01:43 (Ref:1101538)   #22
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who else misses Judd?

Mike
Old 20 Sep 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1101840)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sad thing to consider is with ford pulling out one of the oldest and definately a pillar to F1 leaves it might cost 3 teams.... bernie helllo?
rmember the cosworth DFV that was around for ever and in every ones car. ah Ford/Jag leaves big deal?! it is huge and any other manufacturer even suggesting they are not happy and wish to pull out at this point can be deavstating
it will be champcar 2 if all isn't sorted. every one in a chassis and one engine supply...
of course CC is surviving but just, and F1 will not have a manufacturer to fill the grid like ford has done.. what renault? toyota? honda? maybe toyota has the pockets, and if everyone has their motor maybe they can win, but the FIA F1 championship sponsored by Toyota is not acceptable for F1 now...
Old 20 Sep 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1101883)   #24
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that BMW will leave; they're trying to make a point.

Personally, I think manufacturer involvement in F1 has become far too great. I've always thought that F1 should be about specific teams/companies that want to go racing. They should be supported, or (engine) supplied by big manufacturers, whilst the big manufacturers themselves should go off and do Sportscar racing or Touring cars. Of course, so many things have changed in motorsport in the last 20-25 years, that all this is unlikely to return. F1 is, promotionally, so far ahead of anything else that manufacturers want to be in it and, therefore, have their say.

Their involvement has also helped push up costs, though you could argue that is a 'chicken or egg' scenario; costs were rising anyway.

As for engines, I don't mind the 2.4l limit so much as the restriction on layout. And we still have the electornics....(which I'm not going to like, whatever Mark Hughes says!).
Old 20 Sep 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1102041)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't feel sorry for Ford leaving, their problem is that the company is subpar and ment they never had a real chance at F1.

As for the manufacturers, some of what they've done is clearly not good, but on the otherhand we've got a much more competitive situation at the front, minus Ferrari. BAR, McLaren, Renault and Williams are fighting each other hard because they're pretty close compeition for each other.