Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:51 (Ref:1179019)   #1
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
A ChampCar race in France in 2005 ?

Hello !

As a mod of the Sportscars forum, my place is clearly not here, but I thought you'd be interrested to know...

Even if ACO is reluctant, Sebastien Bourdais would like to promote a ChampCar race at Le Mans in 2005 ; somes details are given today in Ouest France.

Daniel Poissenot (Le Mans race director) thinks that 10M$ would be necessary to set the race, when Sebastien Bourdais is closer from 5M$, with the help of private sponsorship. They'll meet to see if it's possible to make a step forward...

To the Mods : feel free to delete/move the thread ; I'm sorry to be a pain here
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:06 (Ref:1179033)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Hello, Fab!
Needless to say, you're quite welcome "here", and this thread is so fascinating I wouldn't even think of deleting it! Relax man and grab a Bud!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1179034)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This would be great promotion for ChampCars, but the costs of transporting the equipment would onl be worthwhile if at least 2 other European races were held, and that could be difficult to organise, especially if Europe didn't feature in the championship's immediate plans. To be honest, int he short term I thin ChampCars needs to concentrate on retaining its lead in Canada and Mexico, and making mroe inroads in the US. South America and Australia are valuable markets, and Korea and South Africa would be untapped ones with potential, but Europe is a tough amrket to crack considering how F1-dominated it is.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:15 (Ref:1179041)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great... Now I'm gonna be dreaming about Lausitzring all night...
That's a beautiful track they've got sitting there, and I'd love to see a European-swing if it would mean adding that oval.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 12:47 (Ref:1179144)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess they would use the Bugatti circuit?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1179187)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really think Champ Cars needs to be the Formula racing series of the Americas (so Canada, USA, Mexico, South America) plus the annual trip to Surfers.

Europe is saturated with racing and I don't believe this is the way to go...
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1179258)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you guys have made some excellent points regarding CC in Europe.

France might be viable since Bourdais is probably the country's top driver, but what happeneds if a F1 team smartens up and gives him a ride, where does that leave Champ Car?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1179265)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.

It was a lack of focus and going all over the world that (partly) got ChampCar into a mess in the first place.

The Americas is where it needs to build.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1179273)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, there should be races in Canada, USA, Mexico and Brazil or Argentina, and the one off trip to Surfers.
But it would be great if Champ Car came over to Europe again, but not at the moment whilst Champ Car is re-building, but then again whilst Champ Car was established comming over here didn't help things.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1179278)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kevin Kalkhoven has spoke out that Champ Cars has a place in Europe and that Britain is the most likely country to host Champ Cars, and young stars as such as Justin Wilson is great for the chances.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1179282)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kevin Kalhkoven is usually a sensible man, but I have to say he's wrong on this one.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:05 (Ref:1179451)   #12
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Kevin Kalhkoven is usually a sensible man, but I have to say he's wrong on this one.
I'm not going to argue with him if it means Champcars will return to Rockingham/Brands Hatch or somewhere that's within my reach!

Don't forget about the rumoured Manchester street race that was very strong towards the middle of last year (for 2006, however)

A Manchester/Le Mans/Lauzitzring triple in 2006 then? (Heh, while they're here they might as well go to Spa too! )

I wouldn't put any money on it, but hey, I can dream can't i?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 22:55 (Ref:1179596)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They can't use any tracks that are used for Formula 1, Bernie wouldn't allow it, and I'm not sure if tracks that are used for other international championships would be okay either. Europe makes no sense for ChampCars at the moment, just as it probably didn't (with the benefit of hindsight) in 2001.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:25 (Ref:1179610)   #14
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
They can't use any tracks that are used for Formula 1, Bernie wouldn't allow it, and I'm not sure if tracks that are used for other international championships would be okay either.
So that may give Zandvoort a chance. With both Christijan Albers and Nicky Pastorelli testing for Walker racing this week we can’t rule out the possibility that there may be something in this. (at least I hope!)
Old 15 Dec 2004, 00:06 (Ref:1179632)   #15
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
They can't use any tracks that are used for Formula 1, Bernie wouldn't allow it, and I'm not sure if tracks that are used for other international championships would be okay either. Europe makes no sense for ChampCars at the moment, just as it probably didn't (with the benefit of hindsight) in 2001.

Based on how the courts are ruling, Bernie won't have much say in the matter for long.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 00:07 (Ref:1179634)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race in France would be great! I want to attend a Champ Car race someday, and preferably not to spend a fortune on it!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1179717)   #17
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They both use the Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, correct? Why would it be okay for them to use that, but not any others?
Old 15 Dec 2004, 05:50 (Ref:1179735)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If its at LE MANS, YA BABY YA WOO HOO!
Old 15 Dec 2004, 11:46 (Ref:1179903)   #19
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like most of you have fallen into the exact trap ChampCars was in a few years ago. The grid was full of Euroepan drivers, at the expense of the American market, and the demand for European races increased among the hardcore fans. Unfortunately, demand for these was low, they didn't come anywhere near to breaking even, and they further alienated the US crowd, especially as the IRL now had most of the US stars. It's frsutrating to see such self-centred nationalistic thinking again.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1180033)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
More news : one of our members (sportscars forum) who lives in Le Mans met Sebastien Bourdais yesterday evening : if the race doesn't take place at LM, it will be Germany. He seems positive on that (but sorry, no official sources).

Cheers all !

Fab (Sportscars forum)
Old 15 Dec 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1180040)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

If that's the case it seems ChampCar just doesn't learn from mistakes.....

That saddens me.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 14:28 (Ref:1180094)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Tram and KB are right about this, it'd be completely ill-advised to look towards Europe while there are other markets to pursue or protect.
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1180398)   #23
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
If that's the case it seems ChampCar just doesn't learn from mistakes.....

That saddens me.
Let's wait to hear the details k-b. I would agree that this is a mistake if Champ Car is paying the bills, but if someone with deep pockets is willing to pay the bills to see the series roll in Europe then let them have at it...
Old 15 Dec 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1180412)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Even if someone is willing to pay the bills for the race, it would be a wrong move. It would send out totally the wrong signal about what the focus of the series is and should be, I believe.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 01:01 (Ref:1180676)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care if it's bad for the series, I just want to see Champ Cars up close!

OK sensible hat on... it's a mixed feeling. I know I don't have the financial, em, power to go see CC in the US, so I want them to come at me, but it is expensive to bring everything here.