Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1232613)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sauber get customer BMW engines from 2006

Frank Williams told journalists at his pre-season lunch that BMW will supply customer engines to Sauber from 2006.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1232662)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Whoo Hoo! Ferrari's stooges become Williams' stooges
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1232668)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The difference is that Sauber having a car of equal quality to Williams in 2006 isn't inconcievable. Williams should be worried by this - who's to say that a long term Sauber-BMW alliance might leave them sidelined? Considering their resources and drivers, they have showed much more potential in the last 3 years than their more illustrious rivals.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1232671)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From www.autosport.com

Williams is set to lose its exclusive use of BMW power-plants from the start of next season, with the Grove-based team revealing on Tuesday that its German technical partner has decided to supply customer version of its engine to the Swiss Sauber team.

Speaking to journalists during a pre-season lunch, Williams revealed that he had been fully-informed by BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen of the decision and made it clear that his team would remain as the company's number one outfit.
Hmm, could put Williams under more pressure to deliver, Sauber's Willy Rampf is ex BMW and still well connected there, the Germanic synergy could prove interesting.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 22 Feb 2005 at 18:54.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1232694)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Very interesting development. Sauber-BMWs on Michelins, hmm... I wonder if this has any implications on the driver front.

Also have to say that "Sauber-BMW" rings a bell.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1232735)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done Peter Sauber!
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1232736)   #7
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sauber give hope to other smaller teams that it is still possible to not just keep your head above water, but actually improve your situation in modern f1.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1232738)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm. Going from Ferrari to BMW engines does not seem like much of an improvement to me
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1232744)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Hmmm. Going from Ferrari to BMW engines does not seem like much of an improvement to me
I can see what you mean....but I think Sauber probably feel a bit subserviant in their relationship with Ferrari.

As I posted earlier, Sauber's Will Rampf is ex- BMW and still well connected there, so it should be a better 'relationship' for the team.

This must get the Williams design team fretting, as it will also gives BMW another benchmark.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1232756)   #10
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well done Peter Sauber! Hands up for PS
Old 22 Feb 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1232793)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sauber BMW. Sounds great.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1232802)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The name does have a nice ring to it, but wouldn't they be badged Petronas as per the current set up ?
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:06 (Ref:1232807)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber siding with the GPWC and then announcing BMW engines...

Good to hear though, no doubt BMW will treat them as a technical partner rather than simply another customer. I suspect price might have come into Mr. Saubers thinking aswell, what's the going rate for a BMW engine? $10-15m?
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:12 (Ref:1232815)   #14
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it sounds familiar . Sauber C6 .. i think had beemer engine .
well . maybe PS is hoping the change will get them forward .
they had Ferrari engine since when ?? . 97 ?? . so that makes 8 years . yeah . maybe it's time for a change . and i hope they do well .. i

Ciao Marco
Old 22 Feb 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1232826)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
So they have discarded Bridgestones and a technical partnership with Ferrari.

Well, obviously they are wanting big changes because they were unhappy with what they had. Good luck to them, although I am still unconvinced they have made the right moves.

It'll be intersting to see, changes like this always add that bit more intrigue (at least for the first season or two).
Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1232862)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't everybody get your knickers in a knot.

This is merely BMW falling into line with GPWC's notion of engine manufacturers supplying two teams. Check the story closely.

Williams are in no threat of losing their engines.

Though the mere fact of another rival (this time with the same power) entering the frey is perhaps worrying for the team.
Old 22 Feb 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1232874)   #17
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW have run a great driver development programme recently with Formula BMW and Touring Cars.I hope that this brings back the prospect of a BMW Junior Team, such as the one that fostered such talent in the early 80s
Old 22 Feb 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1232966)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not really an improvement or a loss in terms of performance, I can't recall a lot of BMW engine blow-ups in the past few years.
Sauber haven't said anything yet. It would be a blast if a Sauber (preferably driven by JV) regularly finished ahead of the Williamses in 2006...
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1232980)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Don't everybody get your knickers in a knot.

This is merely BMW falling into line with GPWC's notion of engine manufacturers supplying two teams. Check the story closely.

Williams are in no threat of losing their engines.

Though the mere fact of another rival (this time with the same power) entering the frey is perhaps worrying for the team.
Who was fretting that Williams might lose their engine supply? It seems you have identified (non-existent) unnecessary panic from forumers, and then in your explanation to ease this "panic" as to what the real situation is have gone on to say exactly what other people had already said.

I may well be missing something that has been said by others, so please do inform me if I am confused.

Last edited by Dutton; 23 Feb 2005 at 00:06.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1232997)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tourer
I can see what you mean....but I think Sauber probably feel a bit subserviant in their relationship with Ferrari.

As I posted earlier, Sauber's Will Rampf is ex- BMW and still well connected there, so it should be a better 'relationship' for the team.

This must get the Williams design team fretting, as it will also gives BMW another benchmark.
Some good points there ST. I'm quite curious as to why FW makes the announcement. Is it his way of affirming their number one status with BMW? It rubs me the wrong way, whatever the reasoning. I would bet that Peter Sauber would have preferred delaying this announcement until the current F1 season had ended.

Last edited by Kirk; 23 Feb 2005 at 00:37.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 00:57 (Ref:1233008)   #21
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Who was fretting that Williams might lose their engine supply? It seems you have identified (non-existent) unnecessary panic from forumers, and then in your explanation to ease this "panic" as to what the real situation is have gone on to say exactly what other people had already said.
I never referred to a "panic". Just the general gist I got from some posts, indicating that the pressure was on Williams to perform or they may suffer some adverse consequences (ie. losing engines).
Old 23 Feb 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1233012)   #22
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judging by recent comments regarding Williams' problems in the technical department, admitted by Patrick Head, perhaps BMW is coming to realize they may not achieve championships with this team. When you look around at the available options, Saubers technical facilities and efficient operations are the best choice for BMW.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 03:41 (Ref:1233052)   #23
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Sauber will still have the same spec engine as Ferrari this year, right?
Old 23 Feb 2005, 07:18 (Ref:1233147)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes they will.
Old 23 Feb 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1233228)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
SFW will obviously put a brave face on it and affirm their status, but he know's that bolting the same engine onto a car from team with unrealised potential and state of the art facilities will put pressure on his team. There will also be a 'Germanic synergy' between the team, I would guess they operate in similar ways. One alleged critcism levelled at Williams, is that their partnership with BMW has been a bit 'arms length' and neither is getting the best out of it as a result.

Particularly unfortunate that he announces it on the same day he admits they have problems with their new car - again, leading to a slow start to the year - again.