Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1243666)   #1
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 10 years ago...

1995 Discuss about the events of the year. The drivers and teams. What the differences were. And a lot of the racing highlights that happened
Old 5 Mar 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1243670)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Hill & Schu @ Spa
Old 5 Mar 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1243682)   #3
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damon started the year well, but Benetton and Schuey came back from Spain onwards and always either had the pace or the tactics (or both) to beat Williams. Williams then had several bad races, either as a result of team errors or driver ones.

The 412T2 Ferrari probably should have won a couple of races, but was victorious only once, for Alesi at Canada.

Herbert got his first two GP wins, on both occasions after Schuey and Hill had crashed into each other.

DC's first win at Estoril.

The ugliest Grand Prix Car of recent years, the McLaren.

Best race was probably Spa - Hill and Schuey came from 8th and 16th to lead.

Also remember one of Schuey's rare mistakes in a race - crashing in wet-to-drying conditions at Imola.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1243697)   #4
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taki Inoue
Old 5 Mar 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1243718)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dunno, didn't watch F1 that year...
Had my eyes set on something else back then, like Indycar for example!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 5 Mar 2005 at 22:50.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1243721)   #6
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Indycar was very exciting back then. Images of Stan Fox come to find.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 00:16 (Ref:1243895)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Fanatic
1995 Discuss about the events of the year. The drivers and teams. What the differences were. And a lot of the racing highlights that happened
What are your thoughts?

From your sig. I can see that you are not a Michael fan, so why are you bringing up Michael's best championship year (IMHO).

If you would like to discuss Michael's championship years click here, or if you would like to discuss Michael's best non-championship years click here.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1243927)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Jacques Villeneuve fan?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 03:13 (Ref:1243974)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shocking, isn't it?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1244067)   #10
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember clearly feeling upset for Ferarri when Alesi's camera came off, and took out Berger, and then Alesi retired. But it was pretty cool for Herbert.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 06:32 (Ref:1244076)   #11
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A slightly odd year was 95.
Without memory jogs such as you guys are giving me i can't even remember much of it.

My main memories are of shuey being expected to easily win that year --but it allways was abit amazing how easy it turned out for him.
Damon simply caved,making silly mistakes,let shu past too easily and generally looked like he didn't belong in an f1 car

KRT ,i must humbly dissagree with you on the ugliest f1 car.The furrari of '96 easily takes that award!!

Hazza i remember that camera episode! What a disgrace that was-couldn't they fix a simple little camera to a car for goodness sakes?
It reminds me of the pop-off valves used in '87/88.
The valves 'proudly' wore an FIA sticker,and as one engineer commented "yeah,appropriate that-seeing it's by far the crudest made part of the car"

Adam why suggest the SHU threads if he doesn't like shu??
Old 6 Mar 2005, 07:33 (Ref:1244108)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Johnny's jack remaing stuck to his car as he was leaving the pits.........

I thought the Nurb race was groovy - particualrly Michael's religious cleaning of the line he was going to use to overtake Alesi for numerous laps previously.

It was great to actually finish Brazil, but the whole fuel irregularity thing was an unfortunate start to what was hoped to be a clean slate following 1994.

Alesi's win was great at Canada, even if it was annoying having Michael drop the field with his probloem in order to make it happen.

I recall Hockenheim being particularly amusing.......

Spa was classic of course!

That'll do for now.

Last edited by Dutton; 6 Mar 2005 at 07:37.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1244219)   #13
RWC
Veteran

AHHHH nurburgring!
The race alesi could have won if he hadn't rolled over and let michael rub his tummy.

I have allways thought badly of alesi for doing that,he didn't even TRY to take the racing line for goodness sakes!
Over the years my attitude has softened slightly but i still don't believe Jean when he says his tyres were too shagged to fight back.He had enough grip in reserve to get offline so that michael could pass him mid-chicane!
Maybe he couldn't have held out for the three remaining laps..maybe

Jean didn't let shu do that twice though, in australia MS tried a similar thing and alesi simply closed the door and they both went off.
It was funny cause Jean also gave micheal a piece of his mind for good measure,LOL

So '95 must have been when Johnny won two races?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1244306)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yup. Silv and Monza. Two occasions when Damon was a fool and ook Michael and himself off.

It really was another year when Michael could have have 11/12 wins...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:01 (Ref:1244316)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah. Then got sacked.

Just a question, that would've been 3 victories for the Todt/Alesi/Berger partnership if the FIA haddn't of been wierd and disqualified Coulthard and Schumacher, but let them stay in the poistion? but not get points? Was that it?
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1244329)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
As I recall, they let them keep driver points but not WCC points.

The problem was that the "fingerprints" of the fuel they used did not match up with that the provided to the FIA pre-season. The fuel in question was not illegal in itself, there was just an irregularity. Thus, they decided it was not fair to pnusih the driver but the team were accountable.

Where would the other one have come from? You can hardly count Nurb, I mean that was Alesi getting beaten fairand square. HisCanada win was fortunate in that Michael had late on gearbox problems that handed him the win.

Maybe I am missing something.

Last edited by Dutton; 6 Mar 2005 at 11:13.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1244367)   #17
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
What are your thoughts?

From your sig. I can see that you are not a Michael fan, so why are you bringing up Michael's best championship year (IMHO).

If you would like to discuss Michael's championship years click here, or if you would like to discuss Michael's best non-championship years click here.
My thoughts are this was one of the most exciting seasons in the 90's for it's racing if not the scores. I mean the races were always pretty good. Remember the times when Coulthard used to be #1 in qualifying every race. Alesi used to always push front runners. The likes of Deletraz and Lavaggi raced. Good times for #1

I brought this up due to it being 10 years ago Not cos of Schumacher who has personally made me not like #1 has much has I did

I'll look at the other threads later
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1244432)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll never forget that event thatvhas already been mentioned: the Ferrari camera debacle at Monza. How unlucky was that team back then?

I remember 1995 for Hill's worst year, he really didn't get it together and it's probably the reason Frentzen was signed up.

We had Taki Inoue getting hit by medical cars left, right and centre, in his car or out.

Schumacher was brilliant and his comeback at the Nurburgring is legendary. Although I tend to disagree his car was any worse than the Williams.

The thing from 1995 that sticks in the mind most is Michaels shunt at Imola.......I can't work it out.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1244473)   #19
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Maybe the crash Schumacher had at Imola was maybe he was thinking about Senna. We all know his death affected him. What was that weekend like being the anniversary
Old 6 Mar 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1244481)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I find that unlikely to be honest.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1244587)   #21
RWC
Veteran

Was that the crash where his car seemed to snap sideways over the brow of the hill?

I remember Flav imediately assumed shu had done something wrong.
Shu said (if i recall rightly) that it felt like something went wrong with the car -like something broke at the critical time when the car was cresting the rise,turning and the track was wet.
I don't think they ever found the true cause .A driver mistake shouldn't be ruled out though
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1244622)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That's the one.

He often talks about how he's worried about accidents where there is no explanation and always cites Imola 1995 as an example.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1244639)   #23
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hill was in better nick for the first three races of the season but had the costly failure in Brazil when Schumacher was under pressure. From there it was Michael's season and Hill was only comprehensively better than him in Hungary and Australia. The electrical glitch in Canada and the crashes with Hill stopped Schumi from stretching his final winning margin even further.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1248459)   #24
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope nobody takes offence that I resurrect this thread from a few days ago, but I've only just seen it. My memories of the '95 season concentrate solely on the final race at Adelaide, particularly Mika's life-threatening crash during Saturday qualifying, as well as Damon controlling the race.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1248476)   #25
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC
Adam why suggest the SHU threads if he doesn't like shu??
I think is because is more important to pray for more competitiveness and different race winners in F1 (and overtakes, of course) even if Schumacher is still the champion, instead a duly monologue of victories of a driver, no matter if his name is Schumi, Alonso or another.

For this reason I like 2003 season (nonetheless I'm not a Schuey fan)