Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Apr 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1591880)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Talladega

Anyone gonna be at Talladega next weekend for the Nascar Nextel Cup?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1592104)   #2
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish I was-don't tell me you are?
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1592111)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
If you go to the museum and want to take some pictures of the 77 IROC Camaro on exhibition particularly around the boot area with the boot open and all around the trunk area I will definitely make it worth your while.

I need this info to continue with a renovation project on a sister car of the one in the exhibition that I own. I'm sure if you explained to the museum curate why you wanted them being Americans they would be very helpful.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1593811)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds good - anything in particular you'd be looking for or just a dozen or so random shots of the rear of the car? We weren't planning on visiting the museum TBH (didn't know it had one!!) but I am sure we could be persuaded in, especially if we're on a mission I'll let you know if we have any lucj once we're back in the UK.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1594030)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That would be brilliant Craig, i'll explain. The cars when built used the original steel roof, rear quarter panels, and rear panel but some clever person overhere decided to 'lighten' the car and cut the metal quarters and rear panel and boot hinges off and replaced with glass fibre. Now I want to go back to the original set up so any shots I am looking for is in the trunk area (with the lid open), if there is any trunk floor (doubtful) or can you see the fuel cell sitting there, the drysump tank vent in the trunk, the trunk hinges and how the lid is secured, underneath in the same area would also be nice.

Thanks in advance and good luck, looks a good musuem and worth a visit anyhow, I think there is a Dale Earhadt tribute in there and loads of old stockcars etc.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 24 Apr 2006 at 19:34.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1594045)   #6
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Craig, any chance of a program if pos' obviously pay the going rate matey!
Cheers, Snapper.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1594101)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'll see what I can do for you both

Anyone ever done the trip to Mooresville to visit some of the race shops? We're obviously making a bit of a holiday out of the trip and part of it will see us driving from the Great Smoky Mountain NP over to Myrtle Beach which is in the region of 400 miles or so. Looking at a map for a place to break the journey I noticed that approx halfway is Charlotte and then realised just how close we'd be to Mooresvile. Reckon it's worth the effort?

http://www.racingontherocks.com/RaceCityUSA.htm
Old 8 May 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1603266)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Just back this morning. Got the programme for you, Baz, PM me your details and we'll work out the details. Ref the car we did walk right round the museum and couldnt find a 77 model but we did find two 78 models. Unfortunately the museum was really busy and the people running the place couldnt offer us very good access to the cars (they were both backed up to a wall so photos were tricky) and were unable to come and open the trunk. I have taken a few photos of the external appearance of the car though which I will post them up for you later.

PS What an excellent days racing (well, two, as you may know it was rained off on Sunday and we had to drive 100+ miles back to Atlanta before returning next day )
Old 8 May 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1603333)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks for trying Craig I look forward to the photos was it a black car? They probably call it a 78 model as the yanks do that which is why a 71 Camaro can race in pre 70 historics. I hope the museum was worth the trip and the Talladaga experience was good.
Old 8 May 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1603461)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yes it was the black car number 7 car which was labelled as an X28 model if that helps. The plaque stated that it was entered in Iroc in 78 by Al Unser. I am just downloading my photos from my camera right now and I'll put the photos online for you shortly.

The experience was excellent - far better than the Daytona 500 which I did in 2002 - I only wish the video I took of the two groups of Jeff and Dale supporters scrapping in the next block to us had come out better so I could put it online!! Those Alabama girls really are something else!
Old 8 May 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1603675)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thats the car great to hear it is still on display! That should be Z28 actually (you probably mistyped!).

Al Unser also raced my car as I have a video of him on one of the Havoc series where he barely avoids Mario Andretti and half a dozen others in a major crash. The all time NASCAR lap record holder in a Plymouth Superbird Big Block (before the rules were changed, at Talladaga as it happens) Buddy Baker was the last recorded driver to race my car in an IROC race.

Were the museum people helpful or were they just really busy because of race weekend? I tried emailing them but needless to say they never replied probably like me at my business I just get swamped with trash emails and sometimes end up chucking the baby out with the bath water! Maybe I will give them a ring.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 8 May 2006 at 20:22.
Old 8 May 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1603687)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Hey I missed that bit Craig, the red necks were scrapping like football holigans overhere eh, thats something we never hear about, loved to have seen the video!
Old 10 May 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1605196)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Al,
Sorry for the delay but I finally uploaded the photos that I took. You will see that there are two Camaros - a black and a yellow one - the one you are interested in is the black one. I took the photos of the yellow one (sorry - cannot recall it's heritage) as the boot lid appeared to be similarly styled and I thought it may show up the detailing better than the black car?

Anyway they are available here but beware! I left the images as they came out of the camera so that you will be able to zoom to the exact area that you need to. Therefore they will take a minute or so to download.

And, yes, they were indeed very helpful. However there were a hell of a lot of people outside apparently trying to bust their way in for free and they obviously had their hands full with that! I would suggest a phonecall (they are GMT +6 I think) would likely result in a few digital photos winging their way to you - especially if you offer a small donation to cover their effort or something?

Let us know how you go.
Old 10 May 2006, 18:53 (Ref:1605308)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks very much Craig I really appreciate your efforts, its kinda surreal seeing the sister car to the one I have in the garage sitting in a museum. I will givethem a ring, hopefully they will help. I owe you one.