Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Apr 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1572512)   #1
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The end for SCSA?

This weeks Autosport presents a pretty grim situation in SCSA right now.
I have been a fan since the start of the series and have stuck with it through thick and thin but i fear it is done for.
I feel sorry for the teams who are now looking at very expencive peices of equipment that will plunge in price if they wish to sell them (I gather some will return to america).
Also spare a thought for the drivers.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1572564)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's the story then, I thought SCSA was running this year? Gave up getting Autosport some time ago!
Old 6 Apr 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1572588)   #3
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they run out of cars and parts? I know the very similar ASA here in the U.S. went under a few years back and I think both series used the same equipment. I'll have to swing by the Barnes and Noble to get a copy of Autosport next week.

J.D.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1572601)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
think it was basically politics between racers and the circuit. but the series is back on but with a reduced field, about 10-15 cars for the first race...now the right people are incharge its going to be ok but not sure what the race format or circuits are going to be. as for the cars, no there isnt a lack of cars, theyre all built in the uk.
Old 6 Apr 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1572672)   #5
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
there isnt a lack of cars, theyre all built in the uk.
Made from kits of parts from Howe Racing in the 'states.

The value of the cars has been falling dramatically in the last few months.

Hopefully more people will pick them up, and join in.

I'd still like to, but it's a budget thing. They are relatively cheap to run if you keep out of the wall. The changes to the rules for this year had been made to reduce running costs (tyres, fuel, etc..)

Lets hope that it keeps going.

Rob.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1585586)   #6
bwb1
Rookie

England
Caister on Sea, Norfolk,UK
bwb1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin White got an application form for the NHRPA National Hot Rods last week and has said he will be doing them in 2006. SCSA? Hmm.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1585609)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think this series got off to a poor start and has never really recovered since, anyone remember the engine fiasco?

Why oh why do we Brits think we can do it better than the Yanks when they have been doing it successfully for years. Why from the off did they not just follow the NASCAR rules and use NASCAR spec cars and engines. These would have been cheap(ish) to buy from the States (I have a Banjo Matthews stocker in my garage). The engines would have been bullet proof and tried and tested machinery would be reliable. I think the series would have got off to a real good start if they had done this I was interested myself till I see the costs of these British NASCAR type machines and engines.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1585793)   #8
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know a few months back there was some talk of NASCAR starting a series in Europe using leftover chassis when the car of the future is introduced. They already operate a series in Mexico and have connections with CASCAR in Canada, so starting a series overseas wouldn't be too far out of line.

J.D.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1585809)   #9
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There never was a need for SCSA it was a flawed concept from day one - the NHRPA is where it is at. Readers of Racecar or Short Circuit will know that I think thew NHRPA can become the UK's premier motorsport
Old 17 Apr 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1586871)   #10
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
I agree with you sam and I think David Harid's input could help but i get this feeling the NHRPA are the sticking point here.
The nationals could be massive but its putting the infrastructure in place and sort out the places to race and bringing up to date as sam mentioned in his short circuit bit.
There is some top class drivers already: Blackman, steward, spinks, boardly to name a few. Throw back in Colin white, Ian Mckeller etc and you have got a top series.
Series sponsor? Max Power?, BP?
Lets get it on!
Old 17 Apr 2006, 16:48 (Ref:1586887)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well on another thread they are talking about an oval at Silverstone so who knows!
Old 17 Apr 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1586986)   #12
thereal_tdb
Rookie

thereal_tdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwb1
Colin White got an application form for the NHRPA National Hot Rods last week and has said he will be doing them in 2006. SCSA? Hmm.
Pointless post bwb!!!
or has a new msa rule come in to say you are only allowed to race in one formula or series?

Stop trying to start silly scaremongering!

Colin is actually one of the owners of SCSA now!
Old 17 Apr 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1586998)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Actually I think that rule has been in for years, and that I believe is a fact:-)
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1588041)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Well on another thread they are talking about an oval at Silverstone so who knows!
Yep, a half mile oval, shame I wish it would be a mile oval but hey, if it can keep it alive and we see different races then I'm ok with that.
Why do they not race at Lausitz anymore?
Old 18 Apr 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1588073)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting thread this as I am a short oval fan and have been since giving up on the grim entertainmanet circuit racing offers the paying spectator.

Funny really that something that you cal all see, has big expensive, fast cars and colourful promotion never really took off in the UK.

Think we Brits are just too formal for all that rubbish really, and we dont have the identity that the Yanks have with Chevy and Ford.

The drivers tried their bedst but as soon as the likes of RML pulled out after making the championship looks silly, it went downhill and turned into a money formula, tyres are very dear and as said earlier if you hit the wall the repair bill is vast.

Think the Rock tried their very best but the Pickups showed the way really, cheaper, easier to maintain and not too fast.

Dont think the Silverstone will be a winner unless they get a series like IRL over as ASCAR tried to with CART. That flopped coz we dont relaly like oval racing over here, not in the numbers they needed anyway, they expected 50 odd thousand people to pay 50 odd quid to watch summt they had no idea about, gimme a break!
Old 19 Apr 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1589006)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not enough rednecks overhere (apart from me that is). :-)
Old 19 Apr 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1589169)   #17
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Think we Brits are just too formal for all that rubbish really, and we dont have the identity that the Yanks have with Chevy and Ford.
Think the Rock tried their very best but the Pickups showed the way really, cheaper, easier to maintain and not too fast.
Dont think the Silverstone will be a winner unless they get a series like IRL over as ASCAR tried to with CART. That flopped coz we dont relaly like oval racing over here, not in the numbers they needed anyway, they expected 50 odd thousand people to pay 50 odd quid to watch summt they had no idea about, gimme a break!
You're probably right regarding the formality. We have Chevy now, even if Jeremy Clarkson keeps saying that it's just a Daewoo with a Chevy badge - but so are Chevy's in the 'states of that size. The Chevy Cavalier is a Daewoo Lacetti IIRC. We have Ford, but our Ford Fusion (the current NASCAR Ford model) is nothing more than a pumped up Fiesta.

The Pickups are great to watch - the quantity and close racing that makes it brilliant - just a shame that the SCSA can't muster that many cars.

Silverstone with a 1/2mile Oval will be the shot in the arm that long circuit oval racing needs. SCSA and Pickups would be great on that circuit, but due to the lack of banking (MSA said no more than 12 for some reason), there's nothing stopping a cross-over from the short circuit stuff, plus the Legends too.

If you read the full proposal for Silverstone, it underlines the emphasis on turning the whole thing into an entertainment venue, not just some tarmac for a bunch of grumpy old men to drive round with nobody watching.

Speaking to a good friend of mine who runs a UK short oval website, he informs me that there are 10 cars guaranteed on the SCSA grid without any from the Torquespeed or West-Tec camp - and they will be fielding teams, probably 4, or more cars each. There are plenty of cars available for sale, and some at very reasonable prices.

Rebuild costs - Mike Verger's roll last year destroyed his car. I was told that it cost 17K to rebuild it. My friend had his Historic Formula Junior car bent by a Journo at Mallory last year, it's costing 15K to rebuild. So their pretty reasonable if you ask me. Keep it out of the wall, don't trade paint with your co-combatants, and you'll have a cheap season.

Tyres - new longer life tyres are in for this year, and as the races will be shorter, one set should do the two races, or more.

I brought up the issue of engines, and wonder why they don't adopt the same rules as the "Late Model" series in the 'states. That could cut running costs considerably, rather than run the Rousch built Chevy LS1 based engines (as nice as they are).

Yes, I'd still like to be part of it (SCSA), but only when I can find a proper budget to do it properly.

(cryptic message time.... JM - RV passed on a message that you have been trying to get in touch with me....again...)

Rob.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1593158)   #18
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
There never was a need for SCSA it was a flawed concept from day one - the NHRPA is where it is at. Readers of Racecar or Short Circuit will know that I think thew NHRPA can become the UK's premier motorsport
Flawed concept? What planet are you on?

NHRPA is a good series, running on 1/4 mile ovals. I'm sure they could run well on a 1/2 mile too. The SCSA Pickups 'own' the Nationals place on the 1.0 mile ovals and up. Are they the pinnacle of non open-wheel formulae for the circuit type - no! As part of an 'entertainment' day out, if that's what's needed to bring in the crowds, a 'NASCAR' lookalike's always going to do the job. If people are struggling to get budgets, that's a different issue
Old 28 Apr 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1597038)   #19
thereal_tdb
Rookie

thereal_tdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s Revolution Torquespeed

Corby, Northants 28th April 2006

Torquespeed and Revolution Racing have today announced a new era of co-operation between the two SCSA Cup Racing Teams.

Torquespeed, twice winners of the SCSA Racing Championship, have pooled resources with Revolution Racing to create a joint Team assault on the 2006 SCSA Cup Championship. To be known as Revolution Torquespeed, the new Team will work as a single entity to fight for the 2006 SCSA Cup Championship.

The catalyst was Torquespeeds increased involvement in racing in NASCAR in the USA. Our focus has shifted towards establishing a base in Charlotte, NC along with the relocation of several of our key personnel. In order for us to be able to channel as much effort as possible at our US venture while keeping a base of operations in the UK the decision was made to form a partnership with another UK SCSA Cup Team. Revolution Racing was the best choice.

Revolution Racing are a new Team created by Duane Kidd, who had success last year fronting Kidd Richardson Racing. Revolution racing, a relatively new team to SCSA Cup Racing will benefit from Torquespeed’s proven car setup abilities and Championship winning pedigree whilst Revolution Racing will allow Torquespeed to keep a presence in the UK oval racing scene as well as harnessing the potential of Revolution Racings enthusiasm and spirit.

It’s a mutually beneficial partnership for both Teams, and one that will go from strength to strength as the season progresses.

Revolution Torquespeed will compete in the 2006 SCSA Cup Championship at Rockingham Motor Speedway with the first weekend of racing commencing on Saturday 6th May 2006.

For continuous updates please visit www.torquespeed.com
Old 6 May 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1601759)   #20
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to MST timing only 7 cars took part in the untimed practise. Definately a sign of the end of SCSA.
Old 6 May 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1601761)   #21
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its a tragedy money is still being wasted in this series. Surely the teams would be better off running in Pick-ups, British GT or the BTCC?
Old 6 May 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1601913)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not really an oval fan but I'm prepared to give anything a chance. It seems to me that Rockingham got things half right early on with the off track entertainment etc but it must have cost a fortune to attract name drivers like Colin McRae and Darren Manning etc. and maybe this just led to the later financial difficulties. I just think that there needs to be more of a complete package - SCSA, National Hot Rods, Pick Ups, Legends and a single seater series. There must be a market for a Euro IRL/CART with a few road races thrown in for good measure, surely? I also think that the Mallory Mile would be an interesting alternative venue.
Old 6 May 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1601928)   #23
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Best thing we can do is go and have a talk to Colin White as i think he runs it now.
Quite a nice bloke
Old 6 May 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1601954)   #24
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
It'll grow, though I don't think it's going to have the razzamatazz that it once had, until it becomes really big and can stand on it's own two feet properly.

I still want to have a go... but (a) the funding hasn't materialised to make it happen, and (b) yet again, they haven't called me about rookie training...

Rob.
Old 7 May 2006, 17:19 (Ref:1602528)   #25
acorn
Rookie

England
acorn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this from the scsa forum

"......... A nice titbit in Autosport was that four drivers are to undergo rookie training between this meeting and the next."

i'd give whoever is running things another bell if you're serious.