Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Sep 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2763546)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 World Championship 2011

I was going to wait until the Calendar was announced but might as well get speculation started about the second FIA GT1 World Championship.

So here's a few things to get started:

New/Rumoured cars: The Alpina B6 GT1, Lexus LFA and the Veritas RS 3.
New countries: USA, China and Russia.

Any info/ideas/slating/praising/pondering, say your business.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2763562)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if they will race in Bucharest again, since Auto GP have revived the event? Have Auto GP and GT1 raced together before?
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2763570)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They have not. However, Bucharest is actually a circuit were they have experienced the "1 hour sprint race format" previously, back in 2008 (I remember Vitaphone drivers being unhappy and saying "this is supposed to be an endurance racing series" ). Those races were quite entertaining, so I wouldn't mind going back there.

I'll be very annoyed if the ludicrous BoP tweakings continue throughout the next year as well. Let them race. As the old grandfathered cars will be buried after 2011, sadly it'll also be the last ever season for Corvette in GT1 racing, anywhere. No way P&M is producing a new version of C6.R.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2763574)   #4
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
No way P&M is producing a new version of C6.R.
The GT2 version has a 5.5 engine, enough to race in GT1 ;-)

It should be good, you could buy a customer Corvette GT2 car for ACO races, and with an upgrade kit (aero, etc) you can race in the FIA WC GT1.

I think LAA, SRT and DKR could be interested.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2763665)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkob View Post
The GT2 version has a 5.5 engine, enough to race in GT1 ;-)

It should be good, you could buy a customer Corvette GT2 car for ACO races, and with an upgrade kit (aero, etc) you can race in the FIA WC GT1.

I think LAA, SRT and DKR could be interested.
I am not saying it will not happen (never say never), but, GM sided with Porsche, Ferrari and AMR in going towards GT-2 for the top class. I would think they would want to stay the course and not offer anything, past the C6.R support that is being supplied until the end of its homologation, towards GT-1!

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 23 Sep 2010 at 18:58.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2763705)   #6
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still personally believe that it would of made better sense to go with LMGT, but with Ratel now in complete control of GT1, he can do what ever he wants. Which is not a bad thing, seeing as he can make them go faster then LMP2's. Give it a decade; by then the rules will be completely different.

Anyway, more rumblings on the Toyota front from Speedhunters. Scroll down to the bottom, and according to them, Toyota representives were there.
Old 23 Sep 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2763656)   #7
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say the Veritas will never happen, but hopefully the Alpina and Lexus come to fruition.

Russia and South Africa were both "postponed" after 2010, so hopefully they'll be back in 2011. Is the Dosmedovo Autodrome even finished though?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 00:53 (Ref:2763797)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Down F0rce, Auto GP has been racing this year along with the International GT Open and the European F3 Open. GT Sport is a not-so-major SRO rival.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 01:19 (Ref:2763800)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't believe the GT1 series should chop and change cars every season or two as developing rivalries are a big part of the sport.

As ever it's curious to see cars like the Alpina B6 moving into GT1 while the R8 LMS and SLS are in GT3.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 03:41 (Ref:2763809)   #10
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
The first part is going to be slightly off topic.

I find it funny Vitaphone was against the 1 hours split format in 2008 and guess what? That was the "Test Run" the Ratel was making for the World Championship.

I am against Highlighted Coverage (ala Truth In 24) currently being trailed on the ALMS fanbase. Don't say I tell you so if Speed's coverage ends up being the same way for 2011, all "Truth In 24" style.

Back On Topic -

Why couldn't Callaway Competition GbH who currently builds the 2010 Championship Winning Callaway Corvettes for FIA GT3? Matech also went from GT3 to GT1, Callaway could do the same thing and I'm sure they would sell a few. GM is not the end all, be all only company that can build a competitive race car and frankly I don't think they have the budget to do the R&D.

US Rounds will likely be either Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca or possible both.

I do hope Vitaphone is the first of the original teams to make the jump to the new spec car. If Toyota gives them the support they want, I don't think they'll turn it down. I would guess they need the new cars shortly after the end of the season. I wonder if they'll have to take on a favored driver much like SRT was forced (from what I can tell) to take Ara. I think Krum wanted a chance to return to Europe to race so he jumped at it. Richard Lyon's currently is a Toyota/Lexus pilot in Super GT and as we know a min of 4 cars is required for the series. I wonder if he'll return to Europe after spending so much time in Japan.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 03:57 (Ref:2763810)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
The first part is going to be slightly off topic.

I find it funny Vitaphone was against the 1 hours split format in 2008 and guess what? That was the "Test Run" the Ratel was making for the World Championship.

I am against Highlighted Coverage (ala Truth In 24) currently being trailed on the ALMS fanbase. Don't say I tell you so if Speed's coverage ends up being the same way for 2011, all "Truth In 24" style.

Back On Topic -

Why couldn't Callaway Competition GbH who currently builds the 2010 Championship Winning Callaway Corvettes for FIA GT3? Matech also went from GT3 to GT1, Callaway could do the same thing and I'm sure they would sell a few. GM is not the end all, be all only company that can build a competitive race car and frankly I don't think they have the budget to do the R&D. Callaway builds them with GM's blessing! It is not good to bite the hand that feeds you, per se.

US Rounds will likely be either Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca or possible both. I'll believe it, when I see it.

I do hope Vitaphone is the first of the original teams to make the jump to the new spec car. If Toyota gives them the support they want, I don't think they'll turn it down. I would guess they need the new cars shortly after the end of the season. I wonder if they'll have to take on a favored driver much like SRT was forced (from what I can tell) to take Ara. I think Krum wanted a chance to return to Europe to race so he jumped at it. Richard Lyon's currently is a Toyota/Lexus pilot in Super GT and as we know a min of 4 cars is required for the series. I wonder if he'll return to Europe after spending so much time in Japan.

L.P.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 06:07 (Ref:2763833)   #12
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
From the existing teams who do we think will return in 2011?

Reiter-not sure
Matech-I think they are a big possibility to return but with the car racing in GTE where will they race?
Sumo Power-Good year so far...
Vitaphone-possibly with Lexus power?
Phoenix-after what's gone on this year will they return? Audi?
Marc VDS?
Swiss Racing Team? Havent had the best season...
All Inkl?
Young Driver? Are Aston Martin interested in one last year of GT1?
Hexis? From what I've read from them they intend to return.
Mad Croc?
Triple H?

Big question mark over the Veritas, I'll be pleasantly surprised it if appears.

I think the Alpina stands more of a chance of appearing.

Rumoured project of Frederic Dor? whatever that could be-new Aston?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2763850)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Hans Reiter has been talking very favourably about the series, so I assume they will be back. If Albert wins the GT-Masters title this year, I expect to see him in the World Championship in 2011. Money shouldn't be an issue then, he just might be the richest guy in racing today...

Similarly, Hardy Fischer of Young Driver Racing is a big supporter of the World Championship.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2764656)   #14
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
. If Albert wins the GT-Masters title this year, I expect to see him in the World Championship in 2011. Money shouldn't be an issue then, he just might be the richest guy in racing today...
Albert has no ambitions to race in GT1. He would like to, but he is full time employed and couldn’t cope with the amount of time necessary for travelling and testing. He’s fine with GT3 racing; motorsport is just a hobby for him, though a serious one.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2764669)   #15
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Endurance Info on the future of GT racing (Translated into English by Google)

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Quote:
Possible models for 2011 and 2012 for GT1, as suggested by Eudurance Info:
BMW Alpina B6 (Aurora) : 2011
Lexus LF-A : 2011 or 2012
Aston Martin Vantage : 2012
Audi R8 GT1 : 2012
Ferrari F458 GT1 : 2012
Ford Mustang GT1 : 2012
Mercedes AMG SLS : 2012
McLaren MP4-12C : 2012
Apart from the Alpina take the cars with a pinch of salt, but I do hope some of the cars on that list do appear.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:05 (Ref:2764291)   #16
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
From the existing teams who do we think will return in 2011?

Reiter-not sure
Matech-I think they are a big possibility to return but with the car racing in GTE where will they race?
Sumo Power-Good year so far...
Vitaphone-possibly with Lexus power?
Phoenix-after what's gone on this year will they return? Audi?
Marc VDS?
Swiss Racing Team? Havent had the best season...
All Inkl?
Young Driver? Are Aston Martin interested in one last year of GT1?
Hexis? From what I've read from them they intend to return.
Mad Croc?
Triple H?

Big question mark over the Veritas, I'll be pleasantly surprised it if appears.

I think the Alpina stands more of a chance of appearing.

Rumoured project of Frederic Dor? whatever that could be-new Aston?
  • Reiter - No Reason To Leave, will be back
  • Matech's GTE program has nothing to do with GT1, GTE is a customer car though they have said they might run a pair of cars themselves I would assume at Le Mans
  • Sumo Power is supported by Nismo, will be back
  • Vitaphone moving over to the L-FA was one of the bigger rumors post Le Mans
  • Phoenix ? Who knows, they run ADAC GT and Euro GT3 for Audi
  • SRT, staying likely, driver changes likely?
  • All Inkl - See Reiter
  • Young Driver - Likely Return
  • Hexis - See Young Driver
  • Mad Croc - Who knows, a fool and his money....
  • Triple H - See Vitaphone L-FA Rumor?

The Veritas I almost forgot about completely. Still don't know what it looks like.

That old Freddy Dor rumor has been around for awhile. Seems if he does do it, it will be a Ferrari again.

I doubt the One-77 will be used as a bases for a new car. I don't think you'll see a new Aston until you see an update of the current DB9 or Vantage.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 07:52 (Ref:2763856)   #17
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Mad-Croc could be gone from the series if Kuismanen loses interest.

I think we may also lose Phoenix and Swiss Racing. Also, who might make the switch to the Alpinas, or will some new team step up to the series?
Old 24 Sep 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2764055)   #18
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
Would that be a bad thing, watching him do parade laps is tedious at best. I will be glad to see Corvettes out of GT1.
What the series needs is maybe a Cadillac STS, leave the rear seats in it and carry passengers for ballast, Ratel can sell raffle tickets to the fans to see who gets to ride.
Old 24 Sep 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2764074)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Would that be a bad thing, watching him do parade laps is tedious at best. I will be glad to see Corvettes out of GT1.
What the series needs is maybe a Cadillac STS, leave the rear seats in it and carry passengers for ballast, Ratel can sell raffle tickets to the fans to see who gets to ride.
Best idea I have heard yet!
Old 24 Sep 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2764080)   #20
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
And then they can sue if the driver crashes!
Old 25 Sep 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2764243)   #21
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
Only as a sponsor/team name - Im sure SRT/DKR could arrange the necessary sponsorship elsewhere - Olly Gavin has hinted at a return to SRT in 2011 as part of an all pro lineup
Old 25 Sep 2010, 05:09 (Ref:2764266)   #22
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuncha View Post
Only as a sponsor/team name - Im sure SRT/DKR could arrange the necessary sponsorship elsewhere - Olly Gavin has hinted at a return to SRT in 2011 as part of an all pro lineup
I'd love to see that happen.
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:18 (Ref:2764294)   #23
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
They could easily base it on the DBS if they wanted. But given the direction of some of the new cars (Ford GT and Nissan GT-R) the smaller V8 Vantage might be more suitable.

This is the Veritas. It'll never happen, not only because it's a pure roadster, but also because there are no production cars.

Don't forget the planned GT1 version of the Marussia that also will never happen!
Old 25 Sep 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2764355)   #24
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just my thoughts on any American rounds. Possibly Barber Park with it's FIA 1T homoligation and I think Miller should have one aswell. I'd love to see some GT1 at Barber, Miller is just plain rubbish. SRO in North America may also see potential for a GT3 Championship. /dream
Old 26 Sep 2010, 00:01 (Ref:2764535)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
Just my thoughts on any American rounds. Possibly Barber Park with it's FIA 1T homoligation and I think Miller should have one aswell. I'd love to see some GT1 at Barber, Miller is just plain rubbish. SRO in North America may also see potential for a GT3 Championship. /dream
Uh no...

Miller will not happen because the ALMS hasn't been successful and Grand Am is even worst.

I named those two tracks because they both have open dates right in the middle of summer and after or before Le Mans.

ALMS moved back too its traditional Oct date for the 6 hour race at Laguna Seca. Watkins Glen and ICS did not invite back Indy Car for its early July date because of poor fan turnout in consecutive seasons. Ratel said Mosport was out of the question. That leaves only a few possibilities. I also believe Ratel wants to be in the biggest markets possible and that's California and the Northeast.

There's something to be said for serving undeserved areas of America, but for your first time in the US since the late 90's? I don't think so, plus the FIA GT has run at Laguna Seca before. Watkins Glen is just a given because it has an open date and its a historical track.