Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Nov 2002, 16:51 (Ref:430599)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche resto project-Am I insane?

Okay, this is one of the myriad of ideas gnawing at my brain... Taking an abandoned but structually sound '69 to '73 Porsche 911 or 912, and turning it into a slightly updated '72 911S clone.

I figure it'll require a full engine rebuild using a 2.4L crank and crankcase, stripping the car down to bare metal, spot-welding a few little rust holes, seam welding the whole chassis, replacing all the suspension and brake parts, taking much of the steering off more recent 911s, replacing the accessory parts, doing a mix&match job on the interior from lots of wrecking yards...

Now, working to my advantage is the fact that I have _no_ life, and aside from any necessary machining and all the sandblasting, can do all the work myself.

I probably already know the answer to this, but does anything think it could be done for under 5 figures American? That's always my problem... Budget. Or complete lack thereof.

Oh well... Still, sounds like a pretty cool idea, doesn't it?