Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 Oct 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2055870)   #1
lancaster
Rookie

England
Worcestershire
lancaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blue Book K37 changes good for Rallcross

Now that the MSA council has ratified its K37 technical regulations which effectively banishes one-off specials from UK rallying, can someone in the BRDA quickly lure Andy Burton and his phenominal hand-built Peugeot Cosworth to Rallycross.

Along with that would come the many thousands of loyal specators who follow him to every event he enters.

Come on Andy. There's a warm welcome here somewhere.

Now who else is out there ??
Old 31 Oct 2007, 13:38 (Ref:2055887)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
As I read it if a car has is currently log booked then it's ok for now (until 2010? can't remember off the top of my head). New build spaceframes are out but I'm not sure that some of the current spaceframes are rallycross legal - there is a rapid 205 that is semi spaceframed and has a bike engine nailed in the back. That would be outside the K37 regs but also would fit into rallycross (engine not in the original location), similarly this would prevent Burtons pug appearing in rallycross too.

The changes to K37 may well see a reduction in the numbers of people rallying, the MSA seems to be killing off club level rallying with their changes. The move to 'production spec' rallying is seen as key by the MSA but none of the competitors want it. Genius.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 17:45 (Ref:2056079)   #3
madcowie2007
Rookie

madcowie2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This idea crossed my mind yesterday and you will probably think im such an idiot for mentioning it. But in grasstrack racing they have I think Class 10 monster machines. What about inviting 10 of them over to events like the rallycross superprix to do a round? Maybe its ridouclous idea as they probably cant be geared properly for the long straights but if so they could be alot of fun and from what I know dont a few grass trackers come over to rallycross if they can afford it eventually?

Madcowie
Old 7 Nov 2007, 12:11 (Ref:2062041)   #4
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We used to run Super moto and honda pilots with the rallycross at Croft - It worked very well
Old 7 Nov 2007, 12:43 (Ref:2062072)   #5
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this idea was discussed a while back, but the MSA Were not very keen
Old 7 Nov 2007, 13:23 (Ref:2062115)   #6
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't some of the Autograss lads run alongside a rallycross at Blyton a couple of years ago? I suppose the problem is that the day's schedule is already packed for most meetings. Couple of big accidents and there is always the danger of running out of daylight / hitting curfew time.

Not sure about K37 - some of the 'outlaw' rally cars might just about get in the Supernational class which is more liberal on engine location regs.
Old 7 Nov 2007, 13:31 (Ref:2062124)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas
Not sure about K37 - some of the 'outlaw' rally cars might just about get in the Supernational class which is more liberal on engine location regs.
Some of them may get in but how many would be competitive? Rally cars generally weigh a lot more than rallycross cars - especially in a class like supernational or supermodified. Something like Andy Burtons Peugeot wouldn't fit in any class - it's 4wd, semi-spaceframed and the engine is relocated. Where would you run that? Terry Briggs Clio is the nearest to it it terms of current cars but the Clio was produced as mid-engined anyway.
Old 7 Nov 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2062136)   #8
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a way I'm surprised the MSA didn't try to push rallycross to provide a home for these specials, perhaps through a specific 'outlaw' class. It might have helped reduce some of the opposition to K37. Perhaps they don't want to be seen to be encouraging 'one offs' in any form of rallysport. However I can't see how Andy's car would be 'less safe' for rallycross than some Group B derived cars we've seen.
Old 7 Nov 2007, 14:18 (Ref:2062159)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
The MSA is moving rallying towards 'production based cars' (against most competitors wihes) so clearly Andy Burtons car doesn't fit. Andys car is as safe as (if not safer) than pretty much anything out there, there is no real reason why 'homebuilt specials' can't be used - if a car isn't safe enough don't give it a logbook - fairly simple really. I don't see the MSA encouraging the 'outlaws' into rallycross largely on the same grounds - they'll see them as too much of a risk despite the existence of similarly extreme machines already within the sport.

Tags
blue book