Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 2 Dec 2007, 11:57 (Ref:2079817)   #26
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you SBF for the edit. Extending the track towards the bottom of the track diagram is indeed a good solution. I've got an idea for fitting in a 2nd overtaking spot, but not the time to draw it just yet.
In the meantime, I've tried to add a few chicanes to Track #4 to update it to an early 90s configuration, but I didn't like the result.

See you later
Yannick
Old 28 Dec 2007, 01:58 (Ref:2095584)   #27
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, everyone and Yannck,

these are my first words here in this forum - I'm totally new here.

I took your track #4 and made some changes as you asked for. Here's the result (the darker gray is the "final" line and the lighter gray is where the original trackline is):

As you can see, there are 5 changes altogether - two major ones, one smaller and two minor changes. I numbered all the changes.

I found the original track a little too shy on challenging sections and a little too shy on straights. Also, I think the finsh straight and the pit lane are a little too short.

Therefore my first change (1) was to extend the finish straight
- or to add a second, very slightly angled second straight so that these two straights - the original plus the new short one - practically constitute one braakeless straight. This also made it possible to extend the pit lane a bit. The extended finish straight leads to a medium-radius turnback that ultimately leads back to the original trackline after a very short straight.

From then the new track follows the old one along that very long parabolic style curve that - in the original track - leads to a short straight. Here comes the next (2) change I applied:
I thought that here there was a good place to insert a section that requires quick steering so i broke up the straight into two pats that got slightly angled. This doesn't slow the section down considerably but presents an opportunty for the worse drivers to make an error.

Then the track ges back to the old line again. On the "top" section I straigjhtened the slightly curved part (3) to make up for the loss of the previous straight.

Then comes the biggest change. I found that what this track really needs is a part that is not that fast but reuires some fast driving/steering action - therefore I included an "inner circuit" (I'm a big fan of these bi-curcuit layouts). This whole new section (4) starts with a medium-radius left corner followed by a chicane - no motor racing track is complete without a chicane, right? - followed by another medium paced left turn - slower paced right turn combo that leads to a straight. The straight ends in a gear 1 left turn that leads to another, though shorter straight that starts in a minor curve. This straight - via a fast and then a slower paced right/right turn combo - leads back to the original track line that is kept to until the end - save the straightening of a minor curve (5).

Thus, I think, the track got enough straights, a longer finish straight and some quicksteering places. As a result, the track lenght got increased but I think it is still not too long. Plus, at the main straight of the inner circuit there is a great possibility of a long "mini-grand stand" (plus another on along the shorter straight) for an increased total of spectators meaning greater publicity and greater profit, of course.

I hope it all is making sense

There is a larger image available here:

http://supremacy.hu/groundzero/pix/Yannick_edited.jpg

Cheers everyone,

bio
Old 28 Dec 2007, 02:16 (Ref:2095587)   #28
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Oops, the first three corners of the inner circuit are, of course, right/right/left turns, not left/left/right ones as I first wrote.

Sorry.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:50 (Ref:2095715)   #29
bio
Veteran

Hungary
It's me again.

This time I took your squirt gun shaped track (Track #5 I guess). Here's the result:

Well, first of all, I love the trackline and tried to keep as much of it as I could adding rahter than changing.

There were two things I felt should be added. First of all a little more turns and maybe one mre good overtaking point. Also, however good that tinneled pit lane entrance and angled pitlane look I think a pit lane should be straight and also, the entrance should not be covered - rescuing an immobile car from a tunnel or clearing the debris (though there is not a big chance of debris getting there, is it?) is a rather difficult task and i think it should be avoided.

There were 3 changes altogether that I felt neccessary to make.

The first change (1) is the finish straight and the pit lane. Ironic, that my favourote section of this track - the short and angled finish straight - had to go and all this because of the pit lane. I wanted a straight and long enough pit lane that runs alongside the finish straight - it's important that the technicians and pit crew can get to the finish straight - and this could not be possible with the original finish straight section. Therefore i straightened the finish - "now it's really" - straight and had the pit lane entrance out of the tunnel.

From then the track follows the original route along that rather long fast pace curve and the consequent ("upper") straight. This, however leads to a whole new section (2). I felt there should be a technical style section here where driving skills and accuracy can dominate so I inserted a turn-combination of no less than 6 curves, the first two rather slow paced the next four a bit faster. This combo of turns lead to a new straight with a good overtaking opportunity at the end with that turnback. It leads to a combo of two medium fast paced turns and a small straight that ends in a hairpin.

There the trackline reaches and follows the original line again right until the end except the last change (3) that concerns that very sharp, almost right angle right turn. I felt I had to make it faster so i blinted it a bit so the cars can arrive at the last turnback faster creating another opportunity of overtaking right before the finish straight.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2095717)   #30
bio
Veteran

Hungary
The modified trackline looks like this - maybe it's easier to grasp it from this pic:

Old 28 Dec 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2095924)   #31
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey bio; i was wondering whether it be possible for you to draw up some of my designs in that style? get back to me, i like your work.
Old 28 Dec 2007, 20:55 (Ref:2095937)   #32
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Hi, Martin,

sure. Just send me a sketch and any specifications you think of.

bio

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
hey bio; i was wondering whether it be possible for you to draw up some of my designs in that style? get back to me, i like your work.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 00:00 (Ref:2096007)   #33
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for starters coudl we try troyes?

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....3&postcount=23

if possible in the simple gray style you've used in your second posting of yannick's toy gun shaped circuit.

thanks very much.
Old 29 Dec 2007, 02:54 (Ref:2096037)   #34
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Sure.

I'm going to bed now because it's almost four am here, but later today I'll see what I can do, OK?

(I've looked at the circuit and fell in love with it instantly, I can say. )

bio
Old 29 Dec 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2096162)   #35
bio
Veteran

Hungary
martin,

is it OK if I post the result in its home thread instead of here?

bio
Old 29 Dec 2007, 15:02 (Ref:2096208)   #36
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Martin,

I'm ready - you can see the result(s) in the "My Circuits" thread.

Hope you'll like them.

bio
Old 3 Jan 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2098577)   #37
Yannick
Veteran

Hello bio, welcome to the board!

First of all, I'd like to say thank you for your edits. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I've only had limited online time during the recent weeks.

Your graphics are really pretty. What kind of software have you used for them?

Regarding Track #4, I completely agree with you that an infield section requiring some steering action is what this circuit needs. You've come up with a nice design that should do the trick of transferring this wing car era circuit to the modern era.

Regarding your edit of Track #5, I'm a bit sad at seeing the kinked pit "straight" go, but I guess that feature was a bit over-the-top in the first place.
The infield section does add some additional length to it, but I'm afraid it's got two serious runoff problems: the two concentric curves on the right-hand side of the diagram being one of them, the hairpin on the exit of the infield section being the other. I'll try fixing these when I have more time.

So all I can say now is thanks for the edits, and that I'm curious about your own track designs.

Bye
Yannick
Old 4 Jan 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2098983)   #38
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yannick,

thanx for the response and the warm welcome!

I'm using Ocad 8.0, a map-drawing graphics software. (My number 1 hobby is creating imaginary city maps that's how I came to use that particular software.)

As for track#5 - I guess you 're absolutely right regardning your runoff-concerns. If i have time I'll make some amendments

bio
Old 9 Feb 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2124949)   #39
Yannick
Veteran

Riding ToygunTM Raceway by Mattel

Hello MyTrackers,

this time around, I've finished one of the tracks that I first posted on this thread. It used to be called "Track 05". Special thanks to bio for showing me his edit with the non-kinked front straight and to shambles for finding a name sponsor ;-)

I've made the following changes to the track: 1) sharpened Turn 2, 2) put the hairpin in place at the end of the long backstraight, 3) lengthened the 3rd straight, thereby also creating a slight swing to the right, just after the 90-degree corner at its end, 4) completely changed the final corner and the start-finish straight, which is now kinked only a bit near its beginning and slightly bowed to the left 5) replaced the pitlane entry with a more conventional one.

The track runs clockwise and should be around 5.2 kilometers in length. The main overtaking points are of course the hairpin at the end of the straight and the tight 90 degree right-hander at the end of the 3rd straight, though you can also try to squeeze yourself through in Turn 1, especially late in the race, when its covered with marbles on the outside. For spectators, I recommend the upper row of the main grandstands, because you can have a look behind you as well towards the hairpin.
Old 9 Feb 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2125089)   #40
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Oh, man, I AM blind... I just have realized that shambles=martin-1 DD I swear to god I haven't realized that yet...

bio
Old 9 Feb 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2125105)   #41
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yannick,
I was wondering why you were recommending the top row grandstand viewers to look behind - what's there to see?

Seriously: this one still looks great!

The second turn, the right hander could be a bit faster maybe. We're after a short straight, I think a bit faster corner would not be a problem here.

And another thing: I've been having this argument with myself about this thing, though - not here, generally: is it a good idea to put a tight and really slow corner after every notable straight? On one side they tend to make the race a series of run-lik-heel/brake like hell which gives the race a rhythm don't really like. On the other hand, though, where should hard turns ilke these go if not there? Plus, they provide excellent overtaking points.
So I always end up saying I don't know...

The last thing: if the track is about 5.2 kilometers as you say than the "business part" of the pitlane is about 280 meters. That seems too short for me - but can be extended easily.

bio
Old 9 Feb 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2125242)   #42
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
nice, although i'd definately be tempted to straight line the pit entry section.