Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Aug 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2266225)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big hit at the island??

No details but i understand one of the drivers was airlifted to Dandenong Hospital, fortunately not too serious.
The Tuelan Ferrari & the Lucas Lotus, neither qualified.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2266234)   #2
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was not a good sight. Lucas was the one airlifted.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2266275)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not good news hopefully he is ok and his injuries arn't to serious.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 15:21 (Ref:2266381)   #4
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
peter sorry to see the rather poor state the elise finished in today, lucky you and JT are both ok

430's seem to becoming an endangered species here in Australia with 2 out in 2 rounds
Old 9 Aug 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2266588)   #5
cavvy
Veteran

cars are a mess

The cars are not in great shape .... photos ??

Bowe & the Lambo are the class act.

Interesting to see how Eric Bana goes in his Porsche in the 'other' Porsche series.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2266598)   #6
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are some photos in the GT thread.

wasn't aware one was transported to hospital. Peter said he was sore on another forum

I'm sure peter will be on here to explain what happened in the accident.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2266606)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

Eric Bana has had an off - he is fine, not so the car !!
Old 10 Aug 2008, 01:59 (Ref:2266615)   #8
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some pictures...

{MOD} LAST PIC REMOVED {/MOD}

Last edited by GTRMagic; 10 Aug 2008 at 03:56.

Go the Datto!!!
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2266735)   #9
Nero
Racer

Nero should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can someone PM me the details of the driver Lucas, is he OK?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2266746)   #10
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero
can someone PM me the details of the driver Lucas, is he OK?
Not sure about Peter Lucas but Tuelan has a broken leg I'm told. Eric Bana's crash could have been a big one but in the end the damage was mainly cosmetic and he ran later. He knew how bad it could have been though and was a bit shaken up and was very keen to get back on the horse. Peter Fitzgerald was pretty fortunate as well after his rear right tyre de-laminated on the main straight, With all the mud from the new grandstand work they're doing there an off on that part of the track could have been a disaster.
Despite the weather which by PI standards wasn't that bad really it was a good day except for the V8 Touring Cars where Darren Formosa had to put his car back on the trailer for not having the correct brand of tyres.
Formosa and team offered to run for no points but were threatened with a $5000 fine and a possible 3 month suspension of licence. All that was achieved is one less car in an already small field and some very ****ed off sponsors. Still we've got plenty of them, haven't we CAMS. Haven't we?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2266752)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Formosa's car is for sale isnt it Here? Are they stepping up or pulling out?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2266753)   #12
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Mr Formosa's car is for sale isnt it Here? Are they stepping up or pulling out?
pulling out at this stage, nothing to stepup to, costing them to much
Old 10 Aug 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2267012)   #13
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Despite the weather which by PI standards wasn't that bad really it was a good day except for the V8 Touring Cars where Darren Formosa had to put his car back on the trailer for not having the correct brand of tyres.

Formosa and team offered to run for no points but were threatened with a $5000 fine and a possible 3 month suspension of licence.
All that was achieved is one less car in an already small field and some very ****ed off sponsors.
Still we've got plenty of them, haven't we CAMS.

Haven't we?

IPL, just another clear example of the tail wagging the dog.

CAMS can re-review the last review; consult; cajole or con their membership as much as they want, but when it's all done and dusted, this tyrannical behavior will see them create the dismal future they clearly deserve.

When will those in charge begin to understand, they are there for the competitors, not the other way around.

Last edited by Rachel Richards; 10 Aug 2008 at 21:51.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2267027)   #14
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having the correct brand of tyres to run with is a pretty fundamental thing, wouldn't you think?

It's a bit like leaving your licence at home.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2267029)   #15
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz
Having the correct brand of tyres to run with is a pretty fundamental thing, wouldn't you think?

It's a bit like leaving your licence at home.
Or arriving at the circuit with the wrong car
Old 10 Aug 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2267036)   #16
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
one of the drivers was airlifted to Dandenong Hospital,
Good to hear both drivers are OK (well relatively OK) but once again we get people assuming the worst when a Helicopter shows up at Phillip Island

For starters if he went to Dandenong he's not that bad as The Alfred & Royal Melbourne are the two primary Trauma Hospitals in Melbourne for Helicopter transports.

I've posted this before but for those unaware Phillip Island is just on 80km as the chopper flies from Melbourne but 130km by road. Phillip Island usually has one Ambulance covering the island not counting the two units at the track.

If either track unit leaves the track racing must stop until it is replaced, if they use the Island Ambulance the Island is left uncovered for the general public.

They then have to get another crew together on Overtime to cover while an ambulance transports by road and this can take up to or over 3 hours depending on if it's held up unloading at the hospital and the return trip in normal traffic.

It's cheaper and easier to send a chopper over from Melbourne to get the patient to Hospital than to lose one of the units on the Island.

So don't panic if you see a Helicopter arrive at PI it's usually not that bad, it's all economics.

Also note that normal CAMS, AASA or MA insurance doesn't have enough cover for an Ambulance trip to Melbourne by road from PI let alone if you get flown out hence the importance of having your own Ambulance subscription / membership.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2267043)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Good post PVDA its helpful to understand what arrangements are in place.

So do we have anyone who knows for certain how the drivers are?? Sounds like they are (relatively) ok but still a bit confused. That photo with JT's Ferrari airborne is pretty scary, is there a video of the incident? Just trying to work out exactly what happened.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2267046)   #18
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure about Peter Lucas ...
Internal bruising was the word at the track.

Quote:
From what I was told it was more like the right brand of wet weather tyres rather than tyres as a whole.

Sunday was littered with spins safety cars and red flags which saw some races cancelled, notably the final GT3 race after a car left the track on the warm-up lap and damaged a barrier. Every race after lunchtime was shortened to some extent, some by almost half. There was the amusing sight of one of the GT cars, a Lotus specifically, arriving on the grid covered in mud, even on the roof - which is a noteworthy effort to get mud up there without bending anything.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 03:45 (Ref:2267083)   #19
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, just checking in to confirm everything is ok. I was released from hospital last night after being kept in for observation. No internal injuries. I have also spoken to John's wife this morning and I believe they are hoping he will be released today after an operation to insert a pin and plate in his broken leg.

Emergency services were great from both the crew at Phillip island to the trauma team at the Alfred. I did get myself out of the car and walked to the ambulance but they felt I needed x-rays and a cat scan to confirm no broken bones or damage to spleen or kidneys, hence the airlift as there are no facilities on the island.

Can I give a big plug for the design of the lotus which absorbed the impact while keeping the driver's compartment intact and to the Hans device. The only part of my body that is not sore is my neck which is pretty remarkable.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 05:25 (Ref:2267097)   #20
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise
Hi guys, just checking in to confirm everything is ok. I was released from hospital last night after being kept in for observation. No internal injuries. I have also spoken to John's wife this morning and I believe they are hoping he will be released today after an operation to insert a pin and plate in his broken leg.

Emergency services were great from both the crew at Phillip island to the trauma team at the Alfred. I did get myself out of the car and walked to the ambulance but they felt I needed x-rays and a cat scan to confirm no broken bones or damage to spleen or kidneys, hence the airlift as there are no facilities on the island.

Can I give a big plug for the design of the lotus which absorbed the impact while keeping the driver's compartment intact and to the Hans device. The only part of my body that is not sore is my neck which is pretty remarkable.
Great to hear.

Back on the horse asap or does the horse need a good vet ??
Old 11 Aug 2008, 06:48 (Ref:2267116)   #21
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was there oil on the track causing the cars to spin off?? Pete, you were very lucky, such an unfortunate incident for both you and John. "Wrong place wrong time" in the extreme.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2267117)   #22
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great news Peter... and good on you for posting that you are fine. I also heard from a friend of John's not long ago that he has been released from hospital this afternoon.

As per lowgto's question, do you know what the situation is with the car... is it repairable? or are you going to build something even lighter and with even more power hehe?

Go the Datto!!!
Old 11 Aug 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2267119)   #23
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAU
Was there oil on the track causing the cars to spin off?? Pete, you were very lucky, such an unfortunate incident for both you and John. "Wrong place wrong time" in the extreme.

Yes there was. I think it was Peter's.

Glad to hear he's OK.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2267136)   #24
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterelise
Hi guys, just checking in to confirm everything is ok.
Good to hear Peter and thanks for checking in. I'm sure I am one of many that enjoys reading your posts after each weekends racing and hope you are back on the track sooner than later.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2267144)   #25
peterelise
Racer

peterelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
Great to hear.

Back on the horse asap or does the horse need a good vet ??
Not sure about getting back on the horse and I suspect the current horse will be put down. Not making any decisions right now but to come away feeling lucky that my car happened to be in a position where it took the impact front on and John's on the passenger side is very sobering. We shouldn't be relying on luck to feel comfortable about going on track...