Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 9 Sep 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2285718)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
'95? I thought those liveries were in 1994?

No,I joined Mallocks in 94 for the 95 build and season.Thats when the Grey/Blue came in.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2285820)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The grey/blue was '94 and then in '95 it was a bit like the Opel colours, white with yellow flashes on the sides......
Old 9 Sep 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2285939)   #28
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtiejjj
I don't want to offend the man, but why on earth has he got 4 cavaliers?
I'd rather have them in the hands of a serious enthusiast than being parked in a barn somewhere getting dusty. He's owned both 1995 cars since 2000, complete with a big RML spares package.
Old 9 Sep 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2285996)   #29
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
The grey/blue was '94 and then in '95 it was a bit like the Opel colours, white with yellow flashes on the sides......

In that case I'd better recheck my original letter telling me I was hired!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2286325)   #30
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I don't want to offend the man, but why on earth has he got 4 cavaliers?
Apparently #017 (Jeff Allam 1994 car- Mike brought it back from Australia after racing it at Bathurst) #018 (1994 Cleland 'GM Card' car), #022 (1995 Cleland championship winner) #023 (1995 James Thompson- the car Cleland shunted at Goodwood this year)- both '95 chassis were brought back from Australia.

http://www.supertouringregister.com/...r/model/14.php

As Craner said, it's better to see them in the hands of a serious enthusiast who'll both maintain and use them than have them stuck in a workshop gathering dust, or worse, broken up for parts...I reckon in a few years time, there could be a lot of interest in 'Historic Supertouring' cars- it'll be interesting to see the response to the Silverstone race next year- my first thought was that it's a bit early for this yet, but....

I suspect he must have a fair collection- going off-topic, presumably he's still got all of the MG-Lolas chassis he's used in the LMS, and if I recall rightly, he originally owned more than one of the various Saleens campaigned by Graham Nash Motorsport and RML in British & FIA GT a few years back....

Last edited by KA; 10 Sep 2008 at 09:31.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 09:31 (Ref:2286328)   #31
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves
I'd rather have them in the hands of a serious enthusiast than being parked in a barn somewhere getting dusty. He's owned both 1995 cars since 2000, complete with a big RML spares package.

Saw one of his 95 cavaliers at Oulton Park in a Formula Saloon race a few years ago. He was a beating alot more modern super touring cars. Car looked great, and in very tidy condition!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 12:04 (Ref:2286432)   #32
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That would probably have been an ex Ian Khan car(?) and orginally raced with us in ModProds (after BTCC of course!).
Old 10 Sep 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2286547)   #33
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's an ex-David Leslie car. http://www.supertouringregister.com/...vehicle/67.php

I'd love to see that back in 1993 livery.
Nigel Smith's livery is very nice, no question... however given the events of earlier this year and the fact that its original livery was the blue and white saltire of the Grundig/Penthouse Ecurie Ecosse team it would be criminal to have it any other colours. Is this the very car that David Leslie took his first BTCC win in Thruxton 1993 ?
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2286570)   #34
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
At least I'M NOT getting forgetful.The Yellow/white was what the cook car was finished in,it was there in November94 when I went there for my interview.Thanks KA.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2290084)   #35
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Last I saw of this car was when it was advertised for sale a few years ago, I wondered what happened to it.

Blazerteam, I've stolen some of your pictures for the ST Register website. If you can update any more details let me know. If the car is ready in time and the new owner fancies a trip to the UK we'd love to see it at next year's Silverstone Classic race. As it's for the David Leslie Memorial Trophy it's only fitting that the car he scored his first BTCC win in should be there, especially if it's back in 93 Ecurie Ecosse livery.
Old 14 Sep 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2290190)   #36
Blazerteam
Rookie

Blazerteam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats okay with the pictures,as long as they are being used like that .

Invitation to silverstone are great .

Im not sure what the owner will do next year.It wouldnt surprise me that he take the trip to england.I will talk to him.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2293886)   #37
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You're right! I was just trying to spark a discussion (that's not really the right expression is it? I'm dutch and I can't be bothered too look it up at the mo ;-) I'm hoping he will give cleland's GM card car its original livery back! Just great!
Old 19 Sep 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2293939)   #38
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
If he doe's,I know someone who could do the decals.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2303122)   #39
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
Is this also the ecurie ecosse car Tiff Needell drove in 1993 during the Toca shoot out? Who could ever forget the little incident he had with Mr 'it wasn't me' Mansell?
Old 2 Oct 2008, 23:37 (Ref:2303132)   #40
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, that was the sister car to the David Leslie car which won that race. Not many people remember he won that one, haha.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2303544)   #41
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is this also the ecurie ecosse car Tiff Needell drove in 1993 during the Toca shoot out? Who could ever forget the little incident he had with Mr 'it wasn't me' Mansell?
Remember watching that with my Dad i was 15 at the time. Out pops a voice from the other side of the room ' Ha moaning bas*ard, how you gonna talk your way out of that '

Good thread this be interesting to see how the car ends up
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:22 (Ref:2303579)   #42
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was standing at the bridge that day and the thud when Mansell clattered it was something else. There was a massive crowd in attendance.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2315463)   #43
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
Tiff Needell's view on the accident (source BBC.co.uk): My view is that I braked to avoid Mansell when he came whinging across the road in front of me, but if I'd known he'd blame me for the accident afterwards... I'd have accelerated into him and done a proper job!
Old 22 Oct 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2318159)   #44
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Tiff Needell's view on the accident (source BBC.co.uk): My view is that I braked to avoid Mansell when he came whinging across the road in front of me, but if I'd known he'd blame me for the accident afterwards... I'd have accelerated into him and done a proper job!
We were on the infield between Old Hairpin and the bridge, and I've never bought Mansell's attempt to blame Needell- at that stage in the race he was really pressing on in the Mondeo and had been right on the edge through the Old Hairpin several times, and once he'd lost it there and gone back across the track, I reckon he was always going into the wall- from what I remember the only difference the collision with Tiff made was to where he was going to hit it....

I know I took photos of the early stages of the accident- I don't recall whether they were any good and I think I possibly missed the impact with the bridge though. At the risk of taking the thread utterly off-topic I'll see if I can find them...
Old 22 Oct 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2318499)   #45
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrew
Remember watching that with my Dad i was 15 at the time. Out pops a voice from the other side of the room ' Ha moaning bas*ard, how you gonna talk your way out of that '

Good thread this be interesting to see how the car ends up
How spooky is that....

Remember watching that and my dad saying ' Stupid Idiot, bet he blames Nedell'
Old 9 Nov 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2331097)   #46
Europall
Rookie

Norway
Mo I Rana
Europall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
update from norway

Old 6 Feb 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2389844)   #47
Europall
Rookie

Norway
Mo I Rana
Europall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more updates of this superb car

Old 6 Feb 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2390030)   #48
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Outstanding, great to see such a car being properly restored.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 03:29 (Ref:2550212)   #49
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any update on the car?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2550273)   #50
Europall
Rookie

Norway
Mo I Rana