Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2444640)   #76
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like there's been a change for the top 3. Van Der Drift ahead of Valles?
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2444648)   #77
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I missed the start.

What happened to Molina ?

I enjoy Matin Haven on the mic, but would suggest having live timing running on the lap top to help with driver positions etc.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2444658)   #78
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Martinez is under investigation
Where are you watching?? Did I miss that coming up on screen?? I didn't think there were ANY on-screen graphics for most of the bloming race - and certainly not after the rain scrambled the running-order... that would have been too easy...
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:29 (Ref:2444666)   #79
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Started slow, then went whacky. Great fun.
Started relatively on top of the race order, then a total blooming nightmare, with just pics of cars to look at and no idea what positions they were in...
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2444668)   #80
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Disappointingly, only dawned on me after the end of the race that Van Der Drift was probably in 3rd the lap before the red flag, when we clearly saw Valles was in third...

all too much for a simpleton like me to take in when I'm just struggling to recognise anything and make sense of it (or as close an approximation as I can manage...)
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2444669)   #81
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haven View Post
Where are you watching?? Did I miss that coming up on screen?? I didn't think there were ANY on-screen graphics for most of the bloming race - and certainly not after the rain scrambled the running-order... that would have been too easy...
The live timing link avaliable in the first post of this thread
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2444673)   #82
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
by the sounds of it the only way to increase entertainment levels on todays race would have been a good rain shower or something... i'm not sure renaultsport have the power to do that just yet
You sure about that? It seemed to work today after a fashion. Just a bit too chaotic for my liking.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2444677)   #83
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Started relatively on top of the race order, then a total blooming nightmare, with just pics of cars to look at and no idea what positions they were in...
Thought you coped very well in the circumstances. Martin. It was quite difficult to follow even with the timing screens!
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2444702)   #84
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
All these were on the live timing screen (which you didn't have). Good point, there were no on screen graphics at all stating that fact.

Alguersairi was also to be investigated post race - but I guess he's got no result to take away.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2444719)   #85
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Eurosport's studios were converted to a brand new IP phone system on Thursday, with all the PCs now connected to the net via the phone network somehow...

The genius part was not to bother testing whether or not our abilities to access the world wide interweb had been affected, before a very busy weekend...

My colleagues across Europe had full access to the screens, as indeed I would have done from my own front room... but not from the nerve centre in London...

oops, I mean booth in Barcelona, obviously!
Old 19 Apr 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2444720)   #86
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Eurosport's studios were converted to a brand new IP phone system on Thursday, with all the PCs now connected to the net via the phone network somehow...

The genius part was not to bother testing whether or not our abilities to access the world wide interweb had been affected, before a very busy weekend...

My colleagues across Europe had full access to the screens, as indeed I would have done from my own front room... but not from the nerve centre in London...

oops, I mean booth in Barcelona, obviously!
Feel free to feedback to them on here http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114820 (Eurosport want to hear your views on Eurosport!)
Old 19 Apr 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2444828)   #87
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First double weekend winner i can remember for a while. Infact i cant remember the last one

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 19 Apr 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2444834)   #88
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
Van der Garde did the double last year at Monza
Old 19 Apr 2009, 20:53 (Ref:2444966)   #89
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great to see live coverage of WSR, im looking forwards to the Monaco race :-)
Old 19 Apr 2009, 23:13 (Ref:2445051)   #90
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Awesome weekend for Marcos Martinez - never heard of him

Yes, looking forward to the live coverage of the Monaco race
Old 20 Apr 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2445133)   #91
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great run by Pentus as well... from 19th to 2nd.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2445636)   #92
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is possible Pentus finishing second in a WSbR race will prove to be one of the most surprising things to happen in motorsport this year - rain assisted or not. Good effort.

Martinez scoring a double was a bit surprising too, although he did show flashes of speed last season, so a win was probably on the cards at some point.

I don't think he'll be able sustain that to the end of the season, as Pic and Molina looked quick in Spain, but had a nice combination of bad luck and silly errors.

The racing was OK, although the Circuit de Catalunya is a pretty dull place to compete, unless they are using the shorter layout. Sixteen drivers managed to score points though, which isn't bad for a first weekend.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2445680)   #93
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=OJB;2445636]It is possible Pentus finishing second in a WSbR race will prove to be one of the most surprising things to happen in motorsport this year - rain assisted or not. Good effort.

QUOTE]

Suprising as it was, Sten Pentus drove impeccably in the treacherous conditions. His team made the correct pitstop call and followed it up with a quick pit stop. I agree very Good effort all round.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 22:19 (Ref:2445902)   #94
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, this thread has been busy this weekend!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see any of the TV coverage this weekend, but I have been swatting up on all the race reports on the 'net.

First of all, it wasn't exactly the best start for the two title favourites - Pic and Molina. Molina was on the wrong end of a team mistake and never really recovered from it whilst Pic made a silly error before the sprint race had even started, which could prove crucial at the end of the season. Although I expected Martinez to be up near the front, I didn't expect him to come away with two wins, but he and Pons Racing did a brilliant job all weekend, especially after his mechanical problems on Friday.

I was very impressed with the performances of both Van Der Drift and Turvey this weekend, as well as Zaugg who took two decent points positions despite only being confirmed at Interwetten on the Thursday before the meeting.

Pictures from the weekend have just appeared on Renault-Sport.com and I have to say there are some quite striking liveries this year. The black and yellow of Interwetten.com is probably my favourite closely followed by the two Carlin colours.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2446257)   #95
Adri_tifosi
Veteran

Spain
Jerez
Adri_tifosi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Awesome weekend for Marcos Martinez - never heard of him
He was driving for Racing Engineering in 2007 in GP2 at the last part of the season.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2446294)   #96
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
...and didn't exactly distinguish himself there, although admittedly Villa is a lot more experienced.

His racing CV so far is definitely not up to the standards of last weekend - though if he manages to get another win or two we might have to throw past history out of the window.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2446345)   #97
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martinez was steadily improving for the whole last year I think he can be in the top 6 at the end of the year. In GP2, as far as I remember, his 1st weekend was huge bad luck test with just a couple of laps before the 1st race and of course he couldn't perform... Great to have WSbR back on Eurosport, especially with Eurocup highlights!
Old 21 Apr 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2446360)   #98
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Was Martinez the guy that had a pretty big lead at Silverstone's first race last year only to somehow lose it to Duran (although Salvador was untouchable that day admittedly!)?
Old 21 Apr 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2446421)   #99
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think so. He also led in Estoril, finishing 2nd, but was dropped to 11th because he kicked off a start line crash between Baguette and Bonanomi (I think).

Either way, he does seem to have improved a lot in the last few years. He did a few races for Eurointernational (qualified 4th in the wet at Nurburgring somehow) in 2006, but was generally off the pace.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2446425)   #100
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Was Martinez the guy that had a pretty big lead at Silverstone's first race last year only to somehow lose it to Duran (although Salvador was untouchable that day admittedly!)?
Yes, that's right. Martinez was passed by Duran for the lead on Lap 18 and by the time the race finished 8 laps later Salvador had pulled out a huge 13.8 seconds on Marcos.

I was there that day, watching the start from the outside of Copse before moving round to the Maggotts/Becketts/Chapel complex and onto the Hanger Straight, and Duran was visibly more committed through that sequence of corners than the rest of the field.

That was one of the drives of the 2008 WSR season, especially considering the fact he started from fifth on the grid and the fact there were no pitstops to contend with.