Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 28 Sep 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2549720)   #1
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S........I've got one!

LONG STORY

Last November when I ordered my Fanatec PWTS I also applied to be a tester for Fanatec and was pretty much immediately accepted.
The conditions were that Thomas would send me a Beta PWTS wheel which I was to test and review with a video on Youtube, I was also asked to keep quiet about it until the wheel arrived in my hands.
The months passed really slowly, with every month and bunch of emails passing between myself and Thomas with me believing that the wheel was always just around the corner.
Can you imagine.
a, My excitement at knowing I would have my hands on one of the first wheels before anyone else.
and
b, My frustration at seeing all of the comments (especially on the Forza forum) that I could have replied to with easy answers if only I could have said "I'll be testing it soon"
Last week I had finally resigned myself to the fact that the wheel was probably going to be released and I would not get the chance to do a review or test the beta wheel, when out of the blue last Thursday came an email from Thomas of Fanatec telling me that they were ready to send the wheel and to confirm my address. I confirmed my address and got another email from Thomas telling me that the wheel was being shipped on Friday.
This morning at 07:00 while i was lazing in bed with a nice cup of coffee when there was a knock at the door! It was the postman with a big box, I opened the box and found this:

SO THE TEST BEGINS TODAY!
Obviously I'm pretty excited and will be busy today testing and maybe even making a video review but:
If you have anything in particular that you would like me to test I'll have a look or have a specific question I will do my best to answer it. Post in this thread but please keep your question original and short.
Please remember that I may not be able to answer all questions and queries
I do not work for Fanatec, I have no idea when the release date for the production models is or any reasons for delays, please do not address any complaints or assumptions about Fanatec to me.
I am mearly a consumer who has been accepted as a tester who is going to try to do a bit for the community. By letting those who are awaiting their orders know what it's like and maybe helping in the descision making process for those who are undecided about whether to buy one or not.
I will post a link to the review as and when I've done it in this thread.

Perry McCarthy
Old 28 Sep 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2549722)   #2
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Answers to questions I've recieved already:

I've just spent the morning setting the wheel up to my seat, videoing as I go, so Review 1 video is in the editing phase right now, while thet's being sorted I'll try to answer a few of the questions.

Clutch questions

The clutch seems to work fine on FM3d however it doesn't work at all in RACE Pro, you can slip the clutch on take off and you need to use the clutch for every gear shift which I find a little annoying as that's not always the case in race cars or cars with paddle shifts but that's more to do with the game than the wheel.

Using a clutch takes a lot of getting used to and is very frustrating, I have been driving manual cars for 18 years as well as 16 Gear Trucks with Splitters and Range Changers and Off Roaders with Low and High Ratio's, yet in FM3d I have really struggled to get my feet working propperly.

How does the 6 Speed H Patter Shifter work with 7 Speed cars like the Ferrari California?

The 6 speed H shifter in a 7 speed car works by using the H pattern shifter through gears 1,2,3,4,5,6 then paddle shift up to 7th. Not a big deal 'cos the Ferrari California doesn't have an H shifter anyway

DO I FEEL LIKE I PAID TOO MUCH?

No, but I did get a good discount as I ordered last November when the Pound was stronger against the Euro and the pre order discount was good, Also for 1 wheel to work on my PS3 and 360 I think it's well worth it.

put that wheel in use and tell us how it drives in forza 3 demo

Ok Ok, one word.............Beautiful, the wheel is silent, the feedback on 100% is strong but not a fight, the rumble over the curbs is precise, the streeing on 900 Degree is wonderful, I initially had the steering on the default setting which was a bit snatchy, I opened it out to 900 Degree and it became sublime, smooth and precise, within 4 laps I imediately improved my Ferrari California time from a 1"12.8 which took all of yesterday morning to do, to a 1"12.4....not spectacular I know, but from the top 6% to the top 5% so an immediate improvement.

could you tell us how does it feel, maybe with comparison to g25??

I'm running out of superlatives so I'll reiterate:

Sublime

Smooth

Precise

Silent

Excellent

Fan-'kin-tastic

I wish I could compare to G25 but alas I don't have one, however on a quick comparison based on first impression compared to the DFPro I'd say at least 5X better.

More review coming soonio.

Perry McCarthy
Old 28 Sep 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2550038)   #3
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
And here's my first video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnfIwh3TjyI

Perry McCarthy
Old 29 Sep 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2550287)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what's the build quality like on the pedals? the G25 i have is solid as granite with all the important stuff metal rather than plastic. that was the main reason i changed from the DFP as the pots were constantly coming out and i lost pedal action on them.

oh, and have you tried it on any PC games like rfactor?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:18 (Ref:2550373)   #5
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Build quality so far seems solid enough, although I've not put through any vigorous testing in the 1 day I've had it so we'll have to wait and see.

I'm afraid I don't have a PC that can run games so PC sims are out for me.

Perry McCarthy
Old 29 Sep 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2550839)   #6
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Here's part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5LOAhD8jrQ

Perry McCarthy
Old 30 Sep 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2551455)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed Hep
You get what you pay for and teh G25 is top drawer in every way.

the buttons dont lose click, the pedals are amazingly solid and have good feel and the wheel just feels right

Perfect wheel and if you shop around you can get one for 100 quid now, I did!!
Old 3 Oct 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2553081)   #8
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Perfect wheel and if you shop around you can get one for 100 quid now, I did!!
Not so perfect if you want to use it on an XBox 360 as well as PS3 and PC though that's where the Fanatec PWTS comes in.

Sorry Hep I don't have a PC that could cope with PC Sims, so stick to console gaming, there are a few other reviews coming out of the wood work now though from other beta testers and I have seen one with some RFactor action in, have a butchers on you tube.

Perry McCarthy
Old 3 Oct 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2553083)   #9
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Anyhoo here's parts 3 & 4 of my reviews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eImwZF0H_6s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gRzKo3xe2g

Perry McCarthy
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2554951)   #10
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
And 5 & 6 of my review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVsEzD3OAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSrXwqojYWQ

Perry McCarthy
Old 6 Oct 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2555273)   #11
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and part 7 for you all (link found on forzamotorsport.net forums,, I thought those on 10-10ths would like the latest part, sorry for any inconvenience. jonboy)

Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUnGuOhGuYI

As for what I think, it looks like a nice wheel, but I think it's a shade expensve for me, unfortunately. it looks like it'll be Forza 4 before I can afford a decent wheel. Good reiew details anyway.

Also, quick question on PC interaction. Which axis is used for the clutch in games like rFactor/F1 2002?
Old 6 Oct 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2555507)   #12
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Thanks Tathrim, I made part 7 this morning, must've forgotten to post it here.

I can't comment on PC mate I'm afraid. I don't use one for gaming.

Perry McCarthy
Old 20 Nov 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2585942)   #13
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Here's parts 8, 9, & 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEMbsGbnXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0983xjOIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDET1Pfvxgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8pG2m5PcrM

Perry McCarthy
Old 29 Nov 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2591369)   #14
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh JB you sure know how to be an informative old man
Old 29 Nov 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2591427)   #15
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Oi! less of the Old!

Oh and here's number 12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDu-6xAyeY

LOL

Perry McCarthy
Old 1 Dec 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2592368)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant wait for part 27!
Old 1 Dec 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2592561)   #17
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
You'll have a bit of a wait I'm afraid Nicky, I've only got plans for another 2 or 3 specifically Fanatec videos, 1 with a special guest star.

Then my next project starts which has been born out of the fruits of my labours with the Fanatec wheel, someone else from another company that makes things for gamers has seen my reviews and has got something special that he wants me to test and review for him. It's currently in the hands of the Sunday Times but when they've finished their review I can do mine.

Stay tuned............................

Perry McCarthy