Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 30 Dec 2009, 05:46 (Ref:2606267)   #1
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marcos LM 500 racer history wanted

Trying to track down some genuine history of the Marcos LM 500 racer (ex Andrew Delahunty), now in NZ.

Google searches don't seem to fill the gaps, but what we'd really like to know is "was this one of the team cars taken to Le Mans and what is the history afterwards"?

Still in it's yellow livery from the UK and not run since about 2000 where it last competed in the UK, but would welcome any info or photo links.

It is not my car even though I did manage three demonstation laps in our NZ Marcos 50th celebration before the oil pressure warning light came on - hopefully just a sender problem.
Old 30 Dec 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2606433)   #2
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one? I did the website for Delahunty's BMW racing back in 99ish and think he acquired the Marcos in 2000. I'll have a look on my other computer when I get a chance, see if I have any more info.

Old 31 Dec 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2606667)   #3
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marcos LM 500 in NZ

Last edited by socram; 31 Dec 2009 at 07:59. Reason: Adding info
Old 31 Dec 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2606668)   #4
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Still carrying number 83! Thanks for the above.

Photograph copyright Groundsky Ltd NZ.
Old 31 Dec 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2606791)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Delahunty drove two or three different Marcos that year, of both Mantis (Ford V8) and LM500 (Rover V8) flavour. The LM500 was shared with Jeff Wyatt, and I think entered by 'Racelab'. The yellow colour of the car in your pic suggests it could also have been the NCK Motorsport car from 1999

Quite a few LM500 entries appeared in British GT over the years, from Team Marcos, NCK Motorsport, and Millennium Motorsport
( http://www.tateracing.co.uk/images/g,lm500.jpg )
amongst others. No idea how many actual chassis were built- IIRC the Team Marcos cars of 1994/5 were the original factory team which went to Le Mans. AFAIK one of the original Team Marcos cars was run by Skater Motorsport in British GT and Britcar a few years back
http://www.skatermotorsport.co.uk/gallery.htm
http://www.skatermotorsport.co.uk/history.htm

Last edited by KA; 31 Dec 2009 at 14:17.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2609648)   #6
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Thanks again. Looks as though the Skater car was left hand drive? Can anyone confirm this?

The NZ car hadn't been run since the British GT Championship in 2000 and still carried some official stickers.

The pre 2000 history is obviously what we'd really like to know about.
Old 7 Jan 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2609731)   #7
MSportUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
MSportUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Thanks again. Looks as though the Skater car was left hand drive? Can anyone confirm this?

Looks that way
Old 8 Jan 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2610163)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Rules that one out then!
Old 20 Jan 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2616365)   #9
martinparsons
Racer

martinparsons should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove this car in late 2000 when Racelab aquired the car from a team based at Mallory Park circuit (or that area), sorry cannot remember there name, the car ran at snetterton in late 2000/early 2001, and had a rough old day.
I was due to drive the car in the 2001 british GT championship, but it all fell through and the last i heard of it was sitting in racelabs garage.
I'll have a search through my old records and see if I can find out anymore.

MP

PS just reread thread, yes it was NCK Car.
Old 1 Feb 2010, 11:32 (Ref:2623585)   #10
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Skater car is LHD. It was converted in 1998. It is one of the 2 genuine works cars. Anyone requiring detailed info about LM500 can contact me via PM - can probably help with lots...
Old 1 Feb 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2623597)   #11
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Car now back in original livery..
Attached Thumbnails
LM Paul Ricard 09.jpg  
Old 8 Mar 2010, 06:11 (Ref:2647217)   #12
AJP Racing
Rookie

AJP Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcos LM500

I thought I would post this as I found this thread by accident.

I am 99% sure this is one of the two original cars commisioned to run in the 1994 BRDC British GT Champoinship - it would have originally been in the Computacenter Blue and Silver livery. If so there is a 50% chance that this is the car that was built for me (Andy Purvis). I later bought the car from the factory in 1996 winning the GT3 category in it before running the car on behalf of privateer's.

Ironic that it is now in New Zealand as I emigratted to Sydney a few years ago!

The chassis number would tell me if it was my car. Either way as the original factory test driver, I drove and developed both cars. Only the factory cars had the straight cut racing gearboxes, and only two were built before we moved to the much more highly developed LM600s.

I have loads of history and Marcos provenance around the Factory LM500's including all the original press cuttings and launch photos from 1993 British Motorshow at Earls court if you are interested. If is my car it was also driven by Le Mans Legend Derk Bell at Castle Coombe as part of a feature for Autosport magazine.
Old 8 Mar 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2647666)   #13
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Many thanks Andy. Will be in touch. Seems that "Andy" is the preferred driver name for this car as current owner is also an Andy!
Old 8 Mar 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2647705)   #14
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP Racing View Post
I thought I would post this as I found this thread by accident.

I am 99% sure this is one of the two original cars commisioned to run in the 1994 BRDC British GT Champoinship - it would have originally been in the Computacenter Blue and Silver livery. If so there is a 50% chance that this is the car that was built for me (Andy Purvis). I later bought the car from the factory in 1996 winning the GT3 category in it before running the car on behalf of privateer's.

Ironic that it is now in New Zealand as I emigratted to Sydney a few years ago!

The chassis number would tell me if it was my car. Either way as the original factory test driver, I drove and developed both cars. Only the factory cars had the straight cut racing gearboxes, and only two were built before we moved to the much more highly developed LM600s.

I have loads of history and Marcos provenance around the Factory LM500's including all the original press cuttings and launch photos from 1993 British Motorshow at Earls court if you are interested. If is my car it was also driven by Le Mans Legend Derk Bell at Castle Coombe as part of a feature for Autosport magazine.
The NZ is almost certainly the sister car to ours -as you say Andy, the chassis number will confirm..it should be LM9403. If so, apart from the (obvious in the pic) unique 17" Dymags still being there, it should also have a Magnesium cased Xtrac dog box and some Works Sierra suspension parts..items that too would confirm it being one of the two factory cars.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2676639)   #15
garyharman
Rookie

England
Berks
garyharman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike, good to see you here, and I have only found this by accident looking for Andy!

Having looked through the chassis number list 8 LM500 race cars were made, the 2 factory car and 6 Dutch Race Cars.

There are a few photographs of the Factory Race cars in Jem Marsh's book Making my Marque but I dont think they will help too much.

If anyone happens to be around Jem Marsh celebrated his 80th Birthday last week, and he will be opening an Exhibition on the early Marcos History in the Bradford on Avon Museum this Sunday 25th April. Chris Marsh and "Ash Clouds" allowing another driver or two should be around, along with 50 Marcos road cars.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2676838)   #16
garyharman
Rookie

England
Berks
garyharman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skater motorsport 2006

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyhar...7623773674723/
Old 9 Oct 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2771892)   #17
Tiapan
Rookie

Tiapan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Factory team

Hi I was the works manager at Marcos when the first 2 race cars were being built
Old 12 Oct 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2773705)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan View Post
Hi I was the works manager at Marcos when the first 2 race cars were being built
Very warm welcome, we look forward to your contributions Tiapan!