Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 May 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2692714)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Technical regulations for 2011 and beyond

Two weeks ago Autosport Magazine reported about the new technical rules for DTM:
Quote:
Green light for new DTM car
German tourers get set for the next generation, with BMW understood to be ready to do battle with Merc and Audi

The next-generation rules package for the DTM has been finalised and will be introduced for 2011, Autosport can reveal.
A target has been set for the manufacturers to have their own test cars to be up and running before the end of the year.
The Bavarian manufacturer joined Mercedes and Audi in setting up a technical working group last September to go through each area of the car in detail, and Autosport understands that all three manufacturers were heavily involved in shaping the rules. This focused on areas including chassis, aero, KERS, engine and powertrain.
With the regulations set, a 40 per cent windtunnel model will be produced so that a full study into the new car's aerodynamic package can take place. This will feature a generic body shape - for windtunnel aero work - that takes styling cues from all three manufacturers. However, this will not be used on any race cars, with entrants still permitted to use their own bodywork designs.

A final decision on the layout of the entire car will be taken towards the end of November, once the manufacturers have been able to study the first prototypes of the carbon chassis. This will be provided on behalf of the German motorsport authority (DMSB) and DTM promoter (ITR) by an outside supplier. The target for the manufacturers to have test cars available to them by the end of the year.

Following meetings between key players from the DTM and Japanese motorsport authorities over the 2009-10 winter, it is understood that a Japanese manufacturer could still join the process in the near future.
It is expected that teams will be able to buy the spec chassis for less than €50,000. The overall cost for the whole car is likely to be reduced by 40 per cent from current regulations, even though teams will still be allowed technical freedom in several areas, including suspension development.
While aero levels will be reduced, speeds should remain similar as the new cars will feature wider tyres on larger (18 inch) diameter wheels.
Source: Autosport

Earlier this year forum member Japanese Samurai posted this from Japanese Autosport magazine in the Super GT topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
AUTOSPORT reported the 2011 DTM vehicle regulation plan that ITR proposed GTA.
The union carbon monocoque (and roll cage) and the union floor(with 20mm skid block) were proposed.
Wheelbases(2850mm) and front and rear overhang are united.
"Design line" is decided, and the shape of the base vehicle is obligated above the design line.
The below the design line (front and rear bumper, front and rear fender) is permitted to be developed.
Front spoiler and rear diffuser are united.
The engine displacement is uncertain though V8.
The engine use limitation of 1.5 per season has been decided.
51% cost reduction is scheduled compared with 2010 in 2014.

So we can conclude the cars will not be much different from the current cars. The only major change is that the cars will have more spec parts. How the aerodynamics parts will look is still unclear.

I have read somewere Mercedes want to change to 5L V8 engines.
Old 18 May 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2693175)   #2
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about silhouettes? It will be GT-shaped, like japanese, or touring-shaped, like german?
Old 18 May 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2693429)   #3
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Won't there be only a spec monocoque and using subframes teams will be able to build sedans or coupes? And how will those cars be equalized with Super GT machinery? Restrictors and tyre width?
Old 27 May 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2699338)   #4
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Mercedes will not enter a 2012 rules car in 2011.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=4830

Gentleman agreement between the manufacturers?
Old 27 May 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2699585)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They can't be Sillhouette's if they are talking VLN here... Whatever does happen, and if it does merge with Super GT and Grand-Am to create universal regs, I hope to see lots of different shapes of cars racing together
Old 27 May 2010, 23:26 (Ref:2699608)   #6
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
They can't be Sillhouette's if they are talking VLN here...
Unless VLN doesn't mind them running silhouettes. There's still an older DTM Astra running there, plus the former works efforts from Audi and Opel with silhouettes.
Old 28 May 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2700051)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
And then there's the German rapper Smudo, who from time to time enters a Bio diesel Renault Megane Trophy, but I don't think that one has ever run...
Old 28 May 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2700062)   #8
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
They need to axe all the aero off the rear fenders, and make the bodies out of something a bit more durable than carbon fibre.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 06:21 (Ref:2720181)   #9
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In case a spec chassis is a real future for DTM, then I don't want to waste my time watching it.
Even with two manufacturers now there's some space for difference. Merc's suspension and Audi's aero (isn't R14 a some kind of prototype for R15?). They suit different tracks.
I really waited for some union between DTM and SGT.
And now they say it will be a full spec chassis. It'll be awful. Cheap Legends cup of some sort.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2720738)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
In case a spec chassis is a real future for DTM, then I don't want to waste my time watching it.
Even with two manufacturers now there's some space for difference. Merc's suspension and Audi's aero (isn't R14 a some kind of prototype for R15?). They suit different tracks.
I really waited for some union between DTM and SGT.
And now they say it will be a full spec chassis. It'll be awful. Cheap Legends cup of some sort.
Since when does "spec series" = automatically mean it'll suck?

Give it a chance before you slag off about it, you may be surprised on how much you like it.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2720959)   #11
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Unfortunately, I'm an engineer, and when I watch autosport event I'd like to see pilots + constructors battle. If DTM gets a spec chassis (I wonder what ugly cars they are going to have) then Superstars will became a way more sensible choice for me. DTM bosses had a chance to rebuild a some kind of International Group 5, but, as it seems, they didn't use it.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2720965)   #12
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm an engineer, and when I watch autosport event I'd like to see pilots + constructors battle. If DTM gets a spec chassis (I wonder what ugly cars they are going to have) then Superstars will became a way more sensible choice for me. DTM bosses had a chance to rebuild a some kind of International Group 5, but, as it seems, they didn't use it.
What good is seeing drivers battle if all the cars are varying in strength? You can see it this year in F1, now that Schumi is in an inferior car, he's total ****. I'd rather see a bunch of identical cars with the drivers having to battle it out than some drivers not showing what they're truly capable of because they cant scrounge up enough money to get a seat in a top car.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2721080)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
What good is seeing drivers battle if all the cars are varying in strength? You can see it this year in F1, now that Schumi is in an inferior car, he's total ****. I'd rather see a bunch of identical cars with the drivers having to battle it out than some drivers not showing what they're truly capable of because they cant scrounge up enough money to get a seat in a top car.
...and there are already dozens of single-make spec series that provide exactly that

For some of us, part of the appeal is seeing manufacturers and teams take totally different approaches to winning within a basic set of rules- FWD v RWD, turbo v non-turbo etc

If I want to see how different drivers perform given exactly the same car I'll go and watch Porsche Supercup, Renault Clios or one of the spec single-seater classes- and often with saloon/touring car one-make series you might end up with incredibly close races, but you can also sometimes end up with cars that are incredibly dull to watch and driving standards that deteriorate into a total crashfest.....

Would you go to watch Le Mans if it was run for spec Porsche GT3 Cup cars?
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2721158)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But to dismiss pro drivers in semi or full-spec because you saw weekend racers wrecking their cars is not being a fan of the actual racing. You are confusing being a fan of a technical aspect, something that unfortunately has a bad habit of killing off entries as costs rise, with being a fan of the action on track. Sometimes rules have to be restricted to keep one team or manufacturer from out spending the field and buying their success. Sorry but that sucks in every sport, highest payroll should translate to some success but to say it should guarantee wins is stupid.

As for watching LM if it was GT3 Cup cars, how many people stopped watching when half the field was various Porsches and only they really had a shot at winning? It's about how the PROFESSIONAL drivers handle similar cars that can really shake out who the best is in a series.

I would like to see the team be able to contribute and modify things but if a spec monocoque, chassis is used without ANY exterior bodywork is involved to allow more teams a chance, how can that be a bad thing in the long run? If your choice is a 2 car dominated race or a lot more cars having a chance, and your choice is the 2 cars winning all the time, the series is doomed to failure. No sponsors will want to come in just to say well our cars came in 3rd or fourth. New teams may be happy with just finishing but sponsors want wins or at least runs up front.
Old 2 Jul 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2721252)   #15
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Of course every decision has some advantages. Maybe it's good for show, but as for me, I don't watch NASCAR at all. I wouldn't mind if that new DTM is going to be a superstar, but in that case it becomes just 'one of that things'. Nothing special. Of course, it's ego, but I think so.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2721420)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At the very least I'd like to see cars with similar dimensions to the road car and limited aero.

I'd also ban carbon body panels and use engines much closer to those in the road car.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2721441)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
The new DTM regs are not published but according the rumours teams can still develop their own suspension and aero.

NASCAR has very strict regs but the Chevrolets of Hendrick are different (chassis and engine) of the Chevrolets of Childress.

It would be great if there are only a few rules but that's not realistic.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2721459)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
DTM supremo Hans Werner Aufrecht is upbeat about the future of the series following several key meetings that took place at the Norisring today.

The likelihood of BMW maintaining its intention to enter the series from 2012 took a step forward, as its motorsport director Mario Theissen took part in a meeting of the board of series promoter ITR for the first time.

Theissen was also in attendance when key figures from the DTM met with a delegation from the Japanese motorsport federation (JAF).

The Japanese group included representatives from several manufacturers, as talks continue regarding a link-up between the two series in the future.

With similar discussions still taking place with Grand-Am bosses in America, Aufrecht, boss of the ITR, was upbeat afterwards.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84939

So the tie-up with SuperGT isn't dead?

Oreca, Lola and Dallara are interested in building the tub.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 14:45 (Ref:2723543)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Super GT/DTM-rules merger now scheduled for 2015, DTM cars will however be allowed to run in SGT from 2013.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2742658)   #20
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...-for-2012.html - For 2012 Super GT will open itself to four door saloons, KERS and the freeze on in season aero development will be lifted.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d...n-2206433.html - more common in package, 50% less expensive, DTM cars are able to start 6 Grand Am and 6 NASCAR-ruled (???) races.

What's going on?!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 06:46 (Ref:2742890)   #21
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For 2012 Super GT will open itself to four door saloons, KERS and the freeze on in season aero development will be lifted.
Does it mean KERS for DTM cars?
Quote:
6 NASCAR-ruled (???) races.
Maybe, support races during NASCAR road-going events? How many road races held in NASCAR? Sonoma, Watkins Glen, Road America, Montreal - that's all what I know. I've heard about mexican 2nd division race some years ago, but I don't know is it still exist.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2742913)   #22
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok View Post
Does it mean KERS for DTM cars?
KERS was not on the list of http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4326 So I guess not.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2742925)   #23
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Quote:
Maybe, support races during NASCAR road-going events?
But they have to get at least 15-20 new cars to organize a race. Or they mean Grand Am cars are to start too? Then I can't understand why they have parted Grand Am and that mysterious (for me) NASCAR races.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2742935)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

AFAIK they plan half their races with Grand Am and half of them on NASCAR-weekends.

The 15-20 cars will indeed be the hard part, as Aufrecht has also acknowledged in various interviews...
Old 11 Aug 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2742943)   #25
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Now I see why Eki is spending a lot of time at NASCAR events. A new Stuck for North America Audi?