Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Oct 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2552949)   #151
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any pics with the body off?
Old 20 Apr 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2676373)   #152
megapin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northumberland
megapin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SC100 Racing

Hi, I now own the SC100 in this thread and will be racing it in NSSCC championship this season and possibly a few one offs time permitting.
Here's a couple of pics of the SC100 racing at Croft this weekend putting some much larger engined cars to shame !
Davy
Attached Thumbnails
barc_croft_april_2010_07958.jpg   barc_croft_april_2010_08074.jpg   barc_croft_april_2010_14818.jpg  

Old 22 Apr 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2678070)   #153
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done davy did it go alright in the second race?
Old 23 Apr 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2678300)   #154
megapin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northumberland
megapin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Andy, finished 7th overall out of 36 cars on Sunday. Managed to scrabble my way around the outside of 4 cars going through Clervaux and into chicane. Need to do something about vibration through the seat though. When I revved it for the start my eyes were bouncing so much I couldn't focus on the lights !
Will you be out on 7th ?
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2678481)   #155
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hopefully i will be there need to find course of misfire looking at the photos you fit in it a lot better than i did im clad to see her running well and look forward to your 1st outright win
Old 22 Nov 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2989990)   #156
Flyingscot
Rookie

Flyingscot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Ray Stilletto owned and built by Mike Law

Hi Clive, Kevan et all,
Will try and clear some of the wrong information about my car.
Chassis was originally built by Frank Ray for Bob ----- a builder from the
Brighton direction , to fit a Skoda body. Said builder went bust having paid 50% of cost. After some time the chassis was "shortened" to comply with
Stilletto wheelbase. The front suspension arms, uprights steering etc were
slightly modified from Bert Ray's current FF1600. the rear suspension was
Brabham F3. Gearbox 5 speed Hewland mark9. Engine was from Reg Patten (imp services at the time). Bodywork was from Tim Duffee with moulds which Bob Jarvis and myself had made. Special inlet and exhaust manifold
designed by us ,with extended inlets. this was needed because top radius rod wanted to go through middle of carbs,!! Engine was wet sump with a
modified oil pump pick up from the later Sunbeam engine, this ran to the rear of the upright engine with modified flat sump, and was never a problem. Bob's car was identical but not quite so immaculate. His car was
later converted to 1700 pushrod Beattie ford engine, and was eventually sold to Robin Harvey and Ron Greenfield. Pat Mannion bought a share of my car and did Wendy Wools while I did the Lydden rounds. He always
ran a Hartwell engine as you would imagine so I had plenty of engine swops.!! The car was designed to run on 7.5-20-13 Avon hillclimb slicks
on front, and 9.0-20-13 Sidecar Avon Qualifiers. When we had the car
it was a reddish/purple metallic colour. It was sold to Brian Prebble who
for some reason best known to himself and Ray Payne , put a Peugot
engine in it , and 22 section rear tyres on it. This changed it from the best
handling car in the class to one not quite so good. As far as I am aware
son of Prebble crashed it Coombe, and there was not a lot of salvage left.
If somebody thinks they have the original car now, I have photos of it
during build etc. It certainly didn't look like the one that Knox has now.
I am in Biggin Hill so not far from Whitstable if he wants a meet.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2990055)   #157
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I suggest that post #156 be moved into the 'Special Saloons' thread in 'National and Club Racing' , where it more properly belongs. The post has nothing whatsoever to do with a Suzuki SC100.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2990107)   #158
Flyingscot
Rookie

Hi Clive, the reason I put it in here is there are at least six other references to said vehicle by yourself and several from other people. I am
sorry that you don't want somebody that actually knows the facts on what seems to be "your" personal thread. The yellow and blue car is not my original Ray Stiletto.( spelt it right this time), although it might have some of the original bits, I would need to see it to decide that. As for your comments that it was a bit low. It was a "Silouette" formula so what has the height got to do with it. Some could question your Karman Ghia creation and whether it it came under the descrition of a saloon. You always were an opinionated, pedantic soul, obviously age has not mellowed you. there are other people out here who have as much if not
more technical knowledge and engineering experience as your good self. I would think getting some correct information on your site would be an advantage. Kevan McClurg is usually not far from the mark.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2990149)   #159
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael

(i) The very reason I suggested it might be moved was so that your invaluable contribution could reach a wider audience!

(ii) The silhouette regulations were quite clear. You could remove anything below the wheel centres of the original car, but not of the car as lowered. It was therefore possible to calculate the permissible minimum height of any particular model. One of the main reasons for building the Karmann Ghia was that within the silhouette regulations, we could build the car so much lower than a legal Stiletto!

Had we adopted the interpretation used, in my view wrongfully, for the Ray Stilettos, the KG could have been almost 4" lower still. Check out the clearance above the front wheels in the pictures.

(iii) We checked the eligibility of the KG very carefully, as we shared your doubts.... We obtained FIA homologation papers, and got clearance from RACMSA, before we seriously committed to the project.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you on this Forum. I look forward to seeing your future postings!

Best wishes

Clive
Old 24 Nov 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2990774)   #160
Flyingscot
Rookie

Hi Clive and Chunterer( whoever you are),

It was never my intention to upset anybody, I have known Clive since the good old George Bevan days, some 36 years I think, and if I can't enjoy a bit of banter with an old friend, then the world is surely a poorer place. As I am a new member it is not that easy to work out where things should be. I shall try and get it right in future. Mike Law.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2990980)   #161
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Okey doke Mike, no worries! Banter is very welcome as long as other posters can see that.

Mike are you the chap that used to be a policeman by day as well as a special saloon pedaller, or am i getting muddled up with an other Mike?
Old 25 Nov 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2991151)   #162
Flyingscot
Rookie

Re Mike Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Okey doke Mike, no worries! Banter is very welcome as long as other posters can see that.

Mike are you the chap that used to be a policeman by day as well as a special saloon pedaller, or am i getting muddled up with an other Mike?
I am indeed.
Old 25 Nov 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2991165)   #163
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscot View Post
I am indeed.
In that case we'd better be on our best behaviour!