[Insert Something Witty Here]  
Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising IRC Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MarshalsGuide MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 21-04 19:25 : SUPER 1 BRITISH KARTING CHAMPIONSHIPS MSA SERIES RD 1 : SHENINGTON  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   10-Tenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:02   #31
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Not a racer, but had a marshal have an accident on the road to the circuit, basically clipped a van, van went off the road and got a flat, marshals car had a lot of front end damage.

Phones the B&B where the rescue crew and unit were overnighting and basically the unit attended along with a few other marshals that had been passing, jacked the van up, changed his tyre, pushed marshals car off down a side road, swept up the glass/debris and then back to the circuit in time for sign-on.

The look on the van drivers face, when this lot "descended" and basically cleaned up the whole scene in a highly organized manner, was priceless.
This is absolutely fantastic! Was there any flag marshals on hand to wave a yellow flag to passing motorists?!? (and presumably a green flag after the event). Maybe we should propose to the government that we take over the signals on the motorway, or maybe not...
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:37   #32
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridVIVA GT should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridVIVA GT should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
Nice to hear of Sytner putting himself in the gravel....
Sadly Clive, I think that (as usual) Mr S came out of this incident rather better off than the other car (which I think he effectively T-Boned)!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:38   #33
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridVIVA GT should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridVIVA GT should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
I remember the Astra. Can't recall the driver's name but I think it was white with coloured stars all over it. Must have been at least ten years ago.
That sounds like Graham Millwards road saloon car...
Old 25 Apr 2012, 07:59   #34
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
ls that the car that also barrell rolled several time exiting the Old Hairpin at Donington several years ago? The more it rolled, the higher & faster it went! Luckily he was unhurt, but it was a heart stopping moment!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 08:07   #35
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving my road car at Silverstone closing the circuit after the lunch break I came into Becketts and found oil, after a couple of 360's I returned to Race Control with my face as red as my car
If you see it phone it, if you phone it, write it, remember you are the eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course, if you don't tell me about it, how do you expect me to deal with it? Comments made are personal and dont reflect any club or MSA policy or view
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:07   #36
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
I've seen a few race cars actually drive to the circuit (a Lotus Elise passed me on the road to Silverstone a couple of weekends ago, I later saw it race). I wonder if any of these have crashed en-route? Having an off before even reaching the circuit would be impressive/downright stupid!
I remember a Lancia Fulvia at the Birkett Relay a couple of years ago that had been driven to the circuit and had been rear ended by a van on the M1 if iirc it still raced
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:11   #37
MagnetON
Royalridge Computing
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
This is absolutely fantastic! Was there any flag marshals on hand to wave a yellow flag to passing motorists?!? (and presumably a green flag after the event).
Not far off it..... EvilPumpkin was directing traffic around the incident.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:56   #38
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!
A few years ago. Forget the event, might have been the BTCC (Oulton Park) or the Gold Cup.

Lady in Porsche Carrera spins at Druids on the formation lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the next green flag lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the first racing lap.

Funny that that was, the funniest part was the 16 point turn she had to do each time to get going again (due to the very narrow steering lock).

Rumours that a display hoarding announcing World of Leather Autumn Sale was visible from Druids-in are, sadly, unfounded.

Last edited by numbersix; 25 Apr 2012 at 11:00. Reason: Punctuation
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:13   #39
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
A few years ago. Forget the event, might have been the BTCC (Oulton Park) or the Gold Cup.
Your advancing years appear to be affecting your memory!

It was the Gold Cup, your first day as Post Chief.

Quote:
Lady in Porsche Carrera spins at Druids on the formation lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the next green flag lap. Spins again in exactly the same place on the first racing lap.
She gave us a very friendly wave in response to our applause on the cooling-down lap.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:20   #40
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many figures Dave?
If you see it phone it, if you phone it, write it, remember you are the eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course, if you don't tell me about it, how do you expect me to deal with it? Comments made are personal and dont reflect any club or MSA policy or view
Old 25 Apr 2012, 11:59   #41
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!numbersix is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Your advancing years appear to be affecting your memory!

Who are you? Have we met before?
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:49   #42
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Can't remember. A google of the 216 series that was racing on the same bill suggests 1991, middle of the Esses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan View Post
ls that the car that also barrell rolled several time exiting the Old Hairpin at Donington several years ago? The more it rolled, the higher & faster it went! Luckily he was unhurt, but it was a heart stopping moment!
I remember a Sierra Cosworth doing that. Went off on the inside and hit the gravel sideways. Driver's response when I got to it parked on top of the wall at the exit of the Old Hairpin was "Where am I?". I started the usual checks for a bang to the head and he said "I'm not hurt, I know I was at Donington when it started, I just wondered if I was still there by the time it finished!".

However that doesn't count towards the thread since it was at least a couple of laps in.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 12:56   #43
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Not a racer, but had a marshal have an accident on the road to the circuit, basically clipped a van, van went off the road and got a flat, marshals car had a lot of front end damage.

Phones the B&B where the rescue crew and unit were overnighting and basically the unit attended along with a few other marshals that had been passing, jacked the van up, changed his tyre, pushed marshals car off down a side road, swept up the glass/debris and then back to the circuit in time for sign-on.

The look on the van drivers face, when this lot "descended" and basically cleaned up the whole scene in a highly organized manner, was priceless.
You see, I have often thought that there should be groups of marshals lurking underneath motorway bridges for just this reason. Incident, deal with it, clear it up under localised traffic caution and re-open the road quickly. Far better than the several hours whilst measurements are taken to determine who was at fault, and the obligatory H&S two-lane closure, despite the incident being on the hard shoulder.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 20:53   #44
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
You see, I have often thought that there should be groups of marshals lurking underneath motorway bridges for just this reason. Incident, deal with it, clear it up under localised traffic caution and re-open the road quickly. Far better than the several hours whilst measurements are taken to determine who was at fault, and the obligatory H&S two-lane closure, despite the incident being on the hard shoulder.
I 100% agree. In my other job (claims handler) I read many police reports and they are as useful as a wet paper towel! The best information we ever get is who the other person was and who they are insured by! The rest really is just speculation based on what both drivers said at the scene (which we have anyway). Clear the road and get going again!!!

Other point would be to put a PC at each bridge who will write a proper account to go to each insurance company!

Last edited by chrisjt1985; 25 Apr 2012 at 20:54. Reason: New thought!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 21:37   #45
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if its bad form to mention yourself - but I fell off on the first corner of my first flying lap of my fist ever race... Lesson well learnt about not letting someone else torque wheel nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4acwTj4shA