[Insert Something Witty Here]  
Home Forum News Cookbook F1 Predictions FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising IRC Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MarshalsGuide MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447) » 24-04 12:40 : FIA FORMULA 3 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS RD 1 : SILVERSTONE  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   10-Tenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Apr 2012, 22:19   #46
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post
Not sure if its bad form to mention yourself - but I fell off on the first corner of my first flying lap of my fist ever race... Lesson well learnt about not letting someone else torque wheel nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4acwTj4shA
dopnt worry matey, not a race but the marshals trackday at oulton a few years ago i had the dubious honour of being called to race control first. very first two laps out span each lap at druids.
i was complaining saying there was oil, the old excuse, but i had gone in the 2nd lap nearly 20mph slower and still snapped. the clerk was stating i was the only car off so it must have been a lack of talent, as we were discussing this calls comin in and another four or 5 cars. my answer was well at least i kept my car off mr palmers grass!! not a happy looking clerk, good job he was a mate.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 22:21   #47
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
can i just add a thanks to everyone for posting on this topic. this was another famous slightly drunk monkey idea, had a few and posted them on here but not back fired yet. i wake up in the morning and think, oh god why did i post that, but then every one joins in. remember one about the pork pie theory the other year, was dreading lookin on here for all the bad comments only to find it had turned into a 10 page discussion. so again to all, thankyou.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 23:01   #48
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
You see, I have often thought that there should be groups of marshals lurking underneath motorway bridges for just this reason.
An excellent idea. A good way of keeping the unemployed off the streets.

No, that doesn't work, does it?!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 23:12   #49
JimW
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
How many figures Dave?
Fingers?
Old 26 Apr 2012, 06:55   #50
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Fingers?
Indeedy, dyslexia rules k.o.
If you see it phone it, if you phone it, write it, remember you are the eyes & ears of the Clerk of the Course, if you don't tell me about it, how do you expect me to deal with it? Comments made are personal and dont reflect any club or MSA policy or view
Old 26 Apr 2012, 09:51   #51
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
McArthur252 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember seeing a bent FF1600 in the Oulton Park paddock many years ago after it made a bid for freedom out the back of a truck.

also had the misfortune myself of spinning whilst exiting Silverstone pitlane during practice a couple of years ago. . Luckily got away with only slightly damaging a rim.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 11:19   #52
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In July 2010 I was asked to compete in a charity kart race at Buckmore Park in memory of Henry Surtees. I was given the Number 1 kart and was allowed to be the first kart on track. I then span at the first corner of the first lap and stalled, becoming the first kart to get a push start. So embarrassing!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public house's!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 12:04   #53
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post
Not sure if its bad form to mention yourself - but I fell off on the first corner of my first flying lap of my fist ever race... Lesson well learnt about not letting someone else torque wheel nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4acwTj4shA
Haha, remember that one. You were a little surprised when one of our gang spotted that there were no nuts and the thread was entirely undamaged. If I remember rightly, you told me the electrics were off too, when they weren't
Old 26 Apr 2012, 12:11   #54
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjt1985 View Post
I 100% agree. In my other job (claims handler) I read many police reports and they are as useful as a wet paper towel! The best information we ever get is who the other person was and who they are insured by! The rest really is just speculation based on what both drivers said at the scene (which we have anyway). Clear the road and get going again!!!

Other point would be to put a PC at each bridge who will write a proper account to go to each insurance company!
I once witnessed an RTA (and got involved in sorting it out. The other bystanders must have wondered who I was, barking orders and asking if the electrics had been turned off). Plod said they would come and take a statement in a few days so I thought it would be a good idea to make a few notes. The only paper I had with me was a BARC report form so I completed that, including a sketch of the "incident". Sergeant Plod was very impressed!
Old 26 Apr 2012, 13:39   #55
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!Dave Brand has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
How many figures Dave?
All of them - very ladylike!

(Thanks to Jim I now understand the question!)
Old 26 Apr 2012, 17:23   #56
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
I once witnessed an RTA (and got involved in sorting it out. The other bystanders must have wondered who I was, barking orders and asking if the electrics had been turned off). Plod said they would come and take a statement in a few days so I thought it would be a good idea to make a few notes. The only paper I had with me was a BARC report form so I completed that, including a sketch of the "incident". Sergeant Plod was very impressed!
So I'm not the only one! After witnessing a t-bone from someone running a red, I did one on a Vancouver Indy CART report form, complete with drawing and (I must have been on autopilot) my name and SCCA license number! I remember "coming to" and realizing what had stopped me was the form asking for the car numbers involved, turn number and flag conditions before and after incident. I had already filled out track condition as "dry, clear."

Unlike Sergeant Plod above, though, the RCMP officer attending was suspicious as to why I had such a report form in my glove box, and "Gee, I dunno," wasn't the right answer. Sigh.

keke
Old 26 Apr 2012, 18:19   #57
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely one of the quickest incidents must have been the 2011 Birkett at Silverstone? Not sure if the whole grid had passed the startline when the race stop was called.
Old 26 Apr 2012, 21:07   #58
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
rta, last year on way home from anglesey, dual carrige way, two young girls and a child in a 206, hit the armco an roll infront of me. there car in outside lane on its roof leaking fuel. mine on the hard shoulder. still in orange, ran to them, got the three out the car as people just swerving round it. went back and killed engine then went about filtering traffic. first fire engine on scene, walked up to incident cheif an gave full de-breif including injuries and accident details, lookin at me puzzled i turned round to show him the marshals incident badges to which he then replied, awesome, well done.
unfortunatly then went to have to show the police were the tyre marks and impact marks were on the road as they couldnt see them, they wernt as complimentary as i helped in their job
Old 27 Apr 2012, 20:54   #59
Paul999
Rookie

England
Bucks
Paul999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Haha, remember that one. You were a little surprised when one of our gang spotted that there were no nuts and the thread was entirely undamaged. If I remember rightly, you told me the electrics were off too, when they weren't
Like they say, you never forget your first time! Cheers for being gentle with me
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:32   #60
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Startline @ MIRA, Roy Salsbury and I were holding a Jedi back (Downhill sloping start), the driver gave it full beans, popped the clutch, and the drive chain shot off between us and headed towards the car in the warm-up area... Does THAT count?