Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 Apr 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3058600)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
your favourite road?

what the thread title says - name your favourite road, present us with photos or a google maps link and tell us why.

i rediscovered the a7 southbound between milan and genova the other day. from about halfway down it's a dual carriageway racetrack climbing up and down the hills and around villages with a speed limit that varies between the usual motorway limit and 80kmh. not to be confused with its boring northbound counterpart, which bypasses most of the fun by way of bridges and tunnels. it's kind of like the nurburgring, in a dual carriageway format, with competition!

behold: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...90765&t=h&z=11

your turn
Old 13 Apr 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3058641)   #2
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The M1 southbound from J18 to J8 I joke, I joke...

It's not the entire road, but a very small section. The B3081 southbound, just outside my hometown of Shaftesbury. Precisely, the very small section known as 'Zig Zag Hill' - apparently the bendiest road in Britain. The section just after the top of hill affords stunning views, and a couple of good, fast corners.

Here is the Google Maps link.

It's such a blast to, well, blast up it. Especially on a summer's afternoon (I've heard they're nice, apparently ).

Last edited by barnettracing; 13 Apr 2012 at 22:28. Reason: Grammar.
Old 13 Apr 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3058650)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
admit it, you've handbrake turned on that corner haven't you?

(we're joking, officer)
Old 13 Apr 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3058660)   #4
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strangely, despite being a racing driver in my spare time, and owning a Citroen Saxo VTR, I haven't (yet).

Honest Officer.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 05:11 (Ref:3058748)   #5
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Deals Gap - Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina is pretty fantastic.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqPGYfNACI&feature=fvst

BUT I prefer what they call the Six Gap loop in N. Georgia as it is less busy and closer.

http://www.sixgap.com/

My favorite portion is the RBR parkway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoKWEWjcE8

Here is a picture off RBR from many, many years ago of my car and fellow ten-tenths member fieldodreams...
Old 14 Apr 2012, 06:00 (Ref:3058757)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
In the world? http://g.co/maps/qf8e5

This mountain pass in Vietnam was certainly a hoot on a motorbike (later featured on Top Gear) and has to be 'up there' on my list.

Closer to home, i always relish making the trip to Newbury from my hometown.

http://g.co/maps/9pakb

The road really evolves as you go. Starts wide and smooth, as you get into Berkshire, the road surface breaks up but then comes back as you enter a narrow wooded section. Really is a pleasure to drive. It has everything, odd cambers, great views, elevation changes.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3058803)   #7
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

http://g.co/maps/9pakb

The road really evolves as you go. Starts wide and smooth, as you get into Berkshire, the road surface breaks up but then comes back as you enter a narrow wooded section. Really is a pleasure to drive. It has everything, odd cambers, great views, elevation changes.
All admirable features that you would hope to find on a decent race track too!
Old 14 Apr 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3058821)   #8
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
It isn't my favourite road per se but you can drive on a bona fide bit of race track here in Ulster.
The public roads are still closed for bike road-racing of course, and also for the Craigantlet hill-climb, which used to be a round of the British Hillclimb championship.
East-by-North-East of Belfast, running behind the Stormont estate, is a road which leads high over the Craigantlet hills; in recent times they have built a modern road with slow-lane which ascends almost directly, but the old road , always used for the competition, still twists and turns in a parallel direction.

You need to get there at daybreak, before traffic commences, because the old road (race track) is bisected in places by the new "highway", and there are white lines denoting priority for the main traffic.(I am not suggesting race speeds here, no, no)

So there you have it - a road which is also used for an actual speed event.Open for public use.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3058846)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
your favourite road

I assume 'public road' is meant.

The Nordschleife.

No maps or pics needed.

Driving it is brilliant, racing on it is probably as good as I'll ever get :-)
Old 14 Apr 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3059153)   #10
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, the A5 up through north Wales from Betws-y-Coed to the A55 junction.
A good mix of fast curves and twisties.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3060729)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I was a lad I loved this one, a few of the corners have been reprofiled and the map doesn't show the changes in elevation that well, but this 4 miles was a belter, and also killed quite a few people. The start point is the "Carbeth Inn", used to be one of the best known bikers pubs in that part of Scotland. So that road was always full of bikes as well as cars.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...b4f95423e37d9f

Last edited by MagnetON; 17 Apr 2012 at 08:18. Reason: Doh, should have included the link!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3060733)   #12
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
Up there this weekend to race at GYG, sadly the fuzz seem to be out in force along there nowadays.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3060856)   #13
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Up there this weekend to race at GYG, sadly the fuzz seem to be out in force along there nowadays.
Always have to spoil the fun of the good roads don't they?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3064688)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
I've been there, can't recall if I've driven that road or not, but given we did a trip from Betws-y-Coed to Conwy, then around part of Anglesey and back to Betws-y-Coed there is a fair chance.

I do remember there being a few nice roads (did 3000 miles around the UK), the one that sticks in the memory most is a section of the A68 somewhere between Edinburgh and I think Darlington, which had a set of extremely sharp crests with speed advisory signs like you normally find on corners - if you didn't slow down I'd hate to think how far you would have landed down one of the hills in particular!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3064887)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This one down to my favorite beach does tend to get a lot of handbrake use on the cars that I hire !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Apr 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3065045)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Two days after I passed my driving test my mate let me drive his car. We went down this route. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fr...=h&mra=ls&z=11
Old 29 Apr 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3067023)   #17
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my favourate road is an empty one..
Old 30 Apr 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3067590)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
There are some fantastic ones in Scotland. This is a pic I took in the middle of the night near Loch Assynt in the north-west. So it was probably the A837.

The A82 and A83 into the Highlands though are probably the best - bendy, curvy, and often free of traffic. This is just off, you can see part of the A83 in the distance, at Rest And Be Thankful.

Old 1 May 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3067869)   #19
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Virtually every road in the Lake District.