Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Who's going to win it?
Lotus 3 2.27%
Rebellion 3 2.27%
Porsche 23 17.42%
Audi 59 44.70%
Toyota 44 33.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3393268)   #226
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
really hope they do some decent market research to find out what it is that's making people want to go. the ticket prices look pretty high to me, it's britain so the weather can go in any direction (case in point: about 15c and sunny today, but a frost yesterday morning, cold as it's been all winter), it's a difficult race format to watch if you're just coming over as a f1 fan, lbr, a fairly rubbish track and yet... strong demand.

really interesting!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3393303)   #227
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
really hope they do some decent market research to find out what it is that's making people want to go. the ticket prices look pretty high to me, it's britain so the weather can go in any direction (case in point: about 15c and sunny today, but a frost yesterday morning, cold as it's been all winter), it's a difficult race format to watch if you're just coming over as a f1 fan, lbr, a fairly rubbish track and yet... strong demand.

really interesting!
It's not that expensive in comparison to other sporting events, a football or rugby ticket is going to set you back £20 quid at least. It's only a fiver more than last year and all things considered it's a price I'm willing to pay.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:50 (Ref:3393312)   #228
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I'm told ticket demand is considerably in excess of last year - thought to be because of Webber and Porsche.
I can certainly believe it for the Porsche return, but for Webber - really?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3393315)   #229
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I can certainly believe it for the Porsche return, but for Webber - really?
Hah, I would've put it exactly the other way around... at least for the general public.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3393316)   #230
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps that really is the rather sad fact........
Old 16 Apr 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3393327)   #231
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good thing then that Webber is a Porsche supporter.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3393331)   #232
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Like it or not, F1 does capture the majority of motor racing eyeballs, and Webber provides a direct link to the WEC, and there was a degree of referring to where he was off to on F1 coverage during the latter part of last season.

This is all about the representation problem that anything outside of F1 has. Have a look at the BBC's list of "all sports" (link) and note that even though they have a category for "Motor Sport" (e.g. on this story, and let's leave aside some of the image selection problems with it...) it's not listed as something someone could browse to.

So... let's enjoy the halo effect we get from Mark Webber while it lasts, and hope that a side benefit of it is getting a little bit more profile.

A big crowd on Sunday would undoubtedly help - but unlike previous years I haven't noticed things like advertising hoardings at mainline London stations or car displays in Milton Keynes / along the Thames. I like to think we'll get a good turnout, but suspect there's still work to be done.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3393337)   #233
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunately F1 is still considered to be the no.1 motorsport, but we know better!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:00 (Ref:3393347)   #234
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends how you define number one motorsport.

I was sat in an airport the other day watching the Bahrain GP. The amount of people who came and sat down to watch it - of all genders and ages - was really surprising. People were talking to each other about the race. Asking questions, ordering extra food/drink.

No other form of motorsport (in fact very few sports) could even come close to that.

Any PR gain the WEC can take from F1 should be fully exploited.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3393350)   #235
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know that this is sacrilegious; but I sometimes think that I prefer our sport to remain...manageable. I would hate it to be corrupted by the masses and turned into a circus.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3393357)   #236
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
btw thanks for all the thanks much appreciated
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3393366)   #237
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I know that this is sacrilegious; but I sometimes think that I prefer our sport to remain...manageable. I would hate it to be corrupted by the masses and turned into a circus.
I understand what you're saying. I like the idea that I'll be able to walk around the track, sit pretty much where I fancy, and have an uninterrupted view come Sunday, to say nothing of the ability to get in and out of the place without sitting in a traffic jam for hours. There's also the argument in favour of accessibility to the teams and cars - all of which is a result of it not being a circus.

At the same time however we seen over the last couple of days how vulnerable the entry list is to a fairly small set of capricious circumstances - were there a stronger business model, which can only really come from more attention, then we might be in the happy situation of a capacity grid.

Right now the WEC is still a little bit like a club series, with good and bad points, if we're going to get beyond that I fear we're going to have to pay the price of there being a little bit more professionalism, and maybe one or two more people cluttering up the place.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3393369)   #238
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
yes i have the same feelings sometimes but in order to attract money into sportscar racing then it needs to attract the attention of the public so any publicity is good
Old 16 Apr 2014, 16:44 (Ref:3393403)   #239
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Agreed. I hope they find the balance that we all so want...and the series needs.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3393415)   #240
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just watched the BBC weather and it looks good for Friday and Saturday but Sunday looking pretty wet
Old 16 Apr 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3393418)   #241
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Simon , that's a Joke or not
Old 16 Apr 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3393421)   #242
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I wish it was but it looks like even banning Andrew can't stop the rain

See you on friday Walter at least we will be dry on Friday and saturday
Old 16 Apr 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3393422)   #243
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This'll be the one time they've got it right...

A lot can change in a few days though.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3393423)   #244
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Be careful of what you wish for....we in the states have watched a healthy series with great competition devolve into poorly officiated, poorly organized mayhem in the course of 5 years. Bigger is always better...things erode quickly!
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3393426)   #245
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Be careful of what you wish for....we in the states have watched a healthy series with great competition devolve into poorly officiated, poorly organized mayhem in the course of 5 years. Bigger is always better...things erode quickly!
With all due respect, the ALMS was not F1.
As I have previously posted. it is my opinion that a balance needs to be attained.

Last edited by Spyderman; 16 Apr 2014 at 18:09.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3393429)   #246
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
No, but 2006-2008 ALMS was where I think we'd all like the sport to be. Known by those 'in the know'. The ambitions of series owners to make it more than that ('blah blah green racing blah blah') killed it off (amongst several other factors). WEC feels like it's starting to be in that boat (the 'in the know' one) but probably needs to stabilise before trying to be anything more.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3393430)   #247
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I wish it was but it looks like even banning Andrew can't stop the rain
Can I stop dancing now? My legs are getting a bit tired.......
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3393433)   #248
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
No, but 2006-2008 ALMS was where I think we'd all like the sport to be. Known by those 'in the know'. The ambitions of series owners to make it more than that ('blah blah green racing blah blah') killed it off (amongst several other factors). WEC feels like it's starting to be in that boat (the 'in the know' one) but probably needs to stabilise before trying to be anything more.
You find no argument from me. I 'm just not sure that I want to see our series balloon to be a replica of F1. I don't believe that growth is good just for the sake of growth. I have no issues with a stable, well managed and financed series. Circus-Not so much. Just my opinion.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3393435)   #249
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Can I stop dancing now? My legs are getting a bit tired.......
Is the british Forecast so incorrect like the French Forecast ???
Old 16 Apr 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3393438)   #250
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it kind of funny in the FRC thread that everyone (myself included) is picking the #26 G-Drive OAK to win the LMP2 class. If that car crashes there's gonna be a lot of unhappy campers here