Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 Jul 2015, 02:18 (Ref:3560673)   #11
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you accept that the aerodynamics that exist in F1 have no real world application beyond racing cars why do it at all unless the only reason to do it is entertainment value brought on by high speeds which in itself becomes self defeating. A novel way of looking at it I know but cars were and are entertaining to watch when they actually drifted and moved and long periods of opposite lock were the norm. The pictures of drivers drifting through corners etc illustrate what I am talking about. I think the aero part of F1 is a dead end exercise and self defeating because the fast speeds that are enabled result in racing cars that are boring to watch as they stick to a given trajectory and go around and around. It was the movement of the cars and the drivers being on that teetering edge of control or off that gave the whole thing a life that cannot be duplicated today because the cars of yesteryear relied purely on mechanical grip until the late 60's. After that the most entertaining part was keeping the wings attached to the cars and when that was resolved it was all downhill.

BTW I don't expect anyone else to see it that way but I would rather watch any non-aero open wheeler class at a club meeting than watch F1 now because it is all mechanical grip. If they really want aero it should be absolutely free with driver controlled moveable surfaces like a plane then we would have some fun. You could put two people in a car and go really quickly instead of mucking around like they do now.