Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 May 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3639143)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Still a lot of events to think about before LMC, but I am going, regardless of whether driving or not. There will be tenthers racing in the Jag race, anyway, and friends to help out!

Last time I went to the circuit, it was by motorbike and it rained virtually the whole way. I certainly won't be repeating that experience.....
Old 6 May 2016, 15:09 (Ref:3639199)   #77
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I think you will be driving Mr Bell along with Zef.
Best of luck!
Old 6 May 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3639270)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I've downloaded a translation app, so dealing with officials should be no problem!

Bit of insight into the Le Mans specific 'slow zones' procedure here-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVMI5c...ature=youtu.be
Old 7 May 2016, 00:59 (Ref:3639322)   #79
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So no more input from this forum?
In past Classics there were pages but it probably shows the state of Historic Racing or this forum.?
It may stir some interest that there is a possibility of Joe and Mike having a drive in Grid 2.
We will see but disappointing that the best Historic Race Meeting of the year stirs so little input!
Assume all Brexit voters.
I had an opportunity to drive but sadly I just can't afford it. Ho hum.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 7 May 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3639549)   #80
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
That seems logical, simple and a good way of keeping things moving.

I understood most of it without subtitles, but not the last bit when his boyfriend stepped up at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I've downloaded a translation app, so dealing with officials should be no problem!

Old 7 May 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3639691)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
That seems logical, simple and a good way of keeping things moving.

I understood most of it without subtitles, but not the last bit when his boyfriend stepped up at the end
They're French. Surprised didn't do the kiss on both cheeks bit....

Wonder if there will be a written test on Slow Zone procedures at the briefing? Could whittle the entries down a bit......
Old 7 May 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3639866)   #82
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to wonder whether, with the possibility of multiple (up to 10 in the Classique) "Slow zones" per lap .... why not just run it under North American rules of "No overtaking"?

Maybe place a pace moped thingy at the front of the grid and take it from there.

With luck that would eliminate the need for bureaucratic "slow zones" since all zones would be slow and any incidents unlikely - or at least it would provide plenty of time to clear them up before the peleton comes around again.
Old 25 May 2016, 16:13 (Ref:3644333)   #83
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly confused by the docs from le Mans. Having read the handouts it looks as if, as a competitor in a support race, we get some car passes but have to pay extra for motorhome & support vehicle. Can anyone tell me if that is correct?
Old 25 May 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3644334)   #84
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Bingo!
Old 27 May 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3644802)   #85
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feared as much. Lets hope too many other promoters don't try it, the entry is expensive enough as it is.
Old 27 May 2016, 13:04 (Ref:3644854)   #86
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

I hope the app wasnt Google Translate Mike.
Old 27 May 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3644872)   #87
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Classic...

personally, I have done it 5 times in a row
and that is enough for quite a while.

hence i have not entered and sold the car that i kept for it

Le Mans Classic is a fascinating event
even addictive
so if you enjoy it, go ahead
the range of cars brought out and entered is amazing

it is also one the "billionaires playgound" events
designed to make as much money as possible
for instance by charging the competitors for motorhome camping

one of the things that stopped me doing was:
I watched Mr Peter himself have a run in with one of the truckies unloading or rather trying to unload cars on a thursday
not a pretty sight, included the threats he issued
yes, of course the artic was in the way
but they tried their best to get out of the way as quick as possible
and would have been quicker were it not for *******ing
that made me question for the first time if i wanted to support this

RE
Old 27 May 2016, 20:25 (Ref:3644948)   #88
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

So Zef and Mr Bell are on entrant list!

Mr Ernst has hit nail on head.

Not helped by PA losing some of their major organising personnel.
Old 28 May 2016, 06:15 (Ref:3645001)   #89
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
So Zef and Mr Bell are on entrant list!
Congrats gents, you will love driving a proper car!!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 28 May 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3645057)   #90
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Congrats gents, you will love driving a proper car!!!!
Hope you're at Dijion next w/end to continue the theoretical driving lessons.....

My main concern after reading the latest newsletter is how to attach the 'Le Mans Classic patches' to my race suit! Do I have to learn how to sew?
Old 28 May 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3645058)   #91
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're going to pass scrutineering you need to be able to sew to the outside layer of cloth only. And buy some Nomex thread!
Old 28 May 2016, 15:48 (Ref:3645126)   #92
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I can sew.

I passed my MOT on Tuesday and the MSA have already returned my new Int C license . . . Looks like we'll be travelling vie Eurotunnel as all the ferries are silly times, silly money and slow. I'll be bringing the TV175 along as paddock transport. and better pack the metric valeting kit and tools, not imperial!

quite excited now!

I'm hoping to get a spin in a 'proper' car before we get there!
Old 28 May 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3645178)   #93
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There you go Mike. You can get Joe to patch your nomex for you.

Would superglue not be acceptable?

Are the patches enforced so that you only have to take a selfie to find out where you are in case you forget?

Obviously such a problem would not apply to anyone in this forum but I can imagine a few older people with jet set lifestyles and enough cash to play might forget where they are (and why) so an easy way to ensure that things can be simply and unembarrassingly recovered is to enforce the wearing of badges.

Names too I presume .... just in case anyone might forget who they are.

It's so awkward when one has to ask "Do you know who I am?"

Or so I am told .....
Old 28 May 2016, 19:10 (Ref:3645186)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I can sew.
Show off!

Grant, I very much doubt if the 'patches' will be 'iron on'....

Better get some of that special thread ordered.
Old 28 May 2016, 20:33 (Ref:3645230)   #95
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex manages to get through any number of kart races with his badges tank taped on. Roll it up so it's sticky both sides.
Old 29 May 2016, 09:33 (Ref:3645426)   #96
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
If I was going to be really flash I could fly from Shoreham straight to LeMans, parachute out on the scooter, in my romper suit
Old 29 May 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3645460)   #97
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I was going to be really flash I could fly from Shoreham straight to LeMans, parachute out on the scooter, in my romper suit
Look forward to seeing this then......

and if you were really flash you would get PA to pay for it as part of the "show"!!!!

Last edited by 356sc; 29 May 2016 at 12:25.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 6 Jun 2016, 11:13 (Ref:3647645)   #98
MattN
Rookie

MattN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Argh!

Why didn't I know about this event sooner! There's always next year, etc, etc...

(Post edited by moderator to remove url. Please see forum rules on advertising..... )

BTW The event is bi-annual, so put it in your diary for 2018!

Last edited by Mike Bell; 6 Jun 2016 at 17:02. Reason: URL inclusion
Old 6 Jun 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3647680)   #99
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I've settled for the Chunnel and the motorhome.

I'll bring some period correct 2 wheeled Italian conveyance for pit/paddock conveyance.
Old 6 Jun 2016, 16:56 (Ref:3647730)   #100
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Alex manages to get through any number of kart races with his badges tank taped on. Roll it up so it's sticky both sides.
Not a few built in dishwashers now project useful information onto the floor - like how long the cycle is going to take and stuff like that.

With a bit of clever software and some good maths one can project things onto uneven surfaces at absurd angles yet make them readable.

There must be a coming market for racing overalls as billboards with "badge" content or advertising projected from a small device in the helmet or HANS device (or gloves - or something mandated to be worn just for the purpose) specifically for displaying the correct badges without compromising the structural and fireproof integrity of the garments.

The presentations could be driven in real time via Wi-Fi or some other network connectivity.

One might imagine some sort of commercial activity bidding for real time display space after a win. Organisers could save money by transmitting digital garlands to those standing on the podium.

There you go Max - a whole new industry for you to develop.

You saw the idea here first, right?

This will become easier to implement once the cars a driven by remote control from a race control master room. So much easier to make virtual safety cars work in such a development too.