Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2022, 15:30 (Ref:4112068)   #1
racerxf12004
Rookie

racerxf12004 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Micks car splitting in half at Monaco

How fast was mick going when he hit the tire barrier? 80mph? Seemed like his car split in half at a low speed? They said its designed this way...
Old 30 May 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4112075)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I also thought it was a 'relatively'* slow speed accident and was surprised at the amount of damage. I think that the cars are designed so that the complete power unit/transmission will become detached in a high impact situation to remove weight/kinetic energy, it looks like the gearbox/rear suspension became detached from the engine in this case.
*I do agree that it was a hell of a shunt, and was relieved the hear that he was OK, but in comparison to most corners on a normal race track, the speed around the swimming pool is relatively slow.
Old 30 May 2022, 15:47 (Ref:4112079)   #3
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It does seem to be a feature of current car design, and when you consider the factors makes sense.

The driver cell was intact, protecting the occupant.
Secondly the energy has to be remove, which a separation helps with.

Grosjean's Haas accident in 2020 was another case. The impact speed for Grosjean was relatively low, but the PU section separated from the rest of the car in that accident too.
Old 30 May 2022, 20:32 (Ref:4112136)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they also did well cleaning the track...the replacement of the barrier was always going to take time/be a red flag but that they cleaned the track up to the point of there not being even a hit of a puncture risk as the race went on (as far as i know of course at least) was commendable work!

very cool the car is designed to break apart like that but this still needs diligent track personnel to clean up all those carbon fiber bits.
Old 30 May 2022, 21:00 (Ref:4112140)   #5
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
To be fair it didn’t break in half. The gearbox broke off is all. Engine was still on the tub.
Old 30 May 2022, 23:13 (Ref:4112158)   #6
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Haas are just running their Darth Maul spec car
Attached Thumbnails
DshvpZ3WsAESSsJ.jpg  
Old 31 May 2022, 01:40 (Ref:4112160)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
THIS made all the US media who don't usually report on F1 at all. Oh no mention of the race at all, just usually headline and pictures with "horrific" somewhere in the title. And of course the local Atlanta paper made no mention of Mick getting out of the car at all.
Old 1 Jun 2022, 14:46 (Ref:4112405)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Haas are just running their Darth Maul spec car