Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Nov 2002, 11:11 (Ref:428392)   #1
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long does it take?

Reading through several threads about Upgrading and receiving new badges I have just had the thought - if there is a committee member/grading secretary out there could they please explain the process that happens once you have sent your completed Upgrading Card and if necessary your old badge off for upgrading.

I know you are told that the process can take between 4-6 weeks or even longer but to know exactly what happens to your card once you have posted it off would be a good idea.

Would it also be feasible to enclose a stamped self addressed card/envelope with your old card/badge to be returned as an acknowledgment so that you know that your old card/badge has reached your regional officer?

Last edited by KayBee; 14 Nov 2002 at 11:12.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 13:09 (Ref:428460)   #2
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure what the process is now but about 15 years ago when I acted as Regional Membership & Grading secretary was as follows

Marshal sends completed card to Regional Grading Officer who checks it and if OK presents it for consideration at the next Regional Committee meeting. Note this can be any time up to 4-5 weeks later.

If passed by the committee, the RGO then forwards it to the National Grading Officer who normally issues the new grading card and badge.

I doubt if the process has changed much - so a quote of 4 to 6+ weeks would seem about right.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 13:34 (Ref:428477)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Flagman
I doubt if the process has changed much - so a quote of 4 to 6+ weeks would seem about right.
The MSA scheme has added another step to the process. Details of all marshals seeking an upgrade are sent by their club to the MSA, which circulates them to other clubs. According to the BMMC's Training & Grading Scheme Booklet (a copy of which the person who asked the question could have referred to - its all in there! ) this is done monthly. It's not, I think, unreasonable to asume that this could add another four to six weeks to the process, so somebody who submits a card for an upgrade & is unlicky with their timing could conceivably be faced with a delay of three months or so.
Old 14 Nov 2002, 19:23 (Ref:428690)   #4
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for the information already given and I hadn't forgotten about the extra stage that some Upgrades can go through.

I suppose something I would really like brought into the scheme is some means of being told if for example you have just missed a meeting when will the next one be. The only meeting I ever know about is the AGM - both Regional and National.