Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Nov 2000, 12:33 (Ref:49140)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read today that Tunisia is planning to bid for a GP race soon. The teams have already said that 17 is the most races there should be in a season, and 11 of these are held within Europe, the others being Japan, Australia, Brazil,Malaysia, USA and Canada.
In the last year there have been rumours of bids from Russia, China, Dubai, Lebanon, Korea and some other pretty obscure places.
If F1 is to become proper global sport, rather than just claiming to be one, it cleary needs to spread the races around a little more.
Therefore, where would you like to see a GP held, and which races do you think we have that could be lost to make space.

For my own part, I would very much like to see a race in Dubai or somewhere similar, and perhaps a race in the Scandanavian area. Africa also needs one.
I certainly think we could lose token races such as the European GP, and no country should hold more than one race, so we'd lose the French too (I just don't dare suggest we drop Monaco, much as I'd like to) and also San Marino and Hungary.
Old 20 Nov 2000, 15:21 (Ref:49157)   #2
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the major European carmakers would want to shift too far away from Europe, as always business will influence Bernie's decision.

I like to see one race in Ireland, there have been calls for that. And one in the Middle East.
Old 20 Nov 2000, 19:42 (Ref:49196)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I can't see Hungary being dropped - not since Bernie was given...was it freedom of the city of Budapest or something like that?

Shame - I can't stand that race.
Old 20 Nov 2000, 20:18 (Ref:49201)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hungary out please !
Uhn... I can think of some nice places like Fiji, Tibet,
Curaçao... hey ! Panamá Grand Prix ! Or the most long straight of F1 in Chile GP as they don't seem to have enough
room for bends...
Old 20 Nov 2000, 23:17 (Ref:49231)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that Grand Prix Racing started in France, its pretty audacious to suggest the France lose their Race.
They need a better track like Clermont-Ferrand, Rouen or Rheims.

A race in the Arabian Desert (Dubai) would be torture to the drivers and the entire audience would have to fly in, rivalling the Haj for moving people into and out of the Gulf.

I nominate St. Petersburg in Russia-cars flying under the Admiralty arch would be fantastic. Plus its close to Finland.

We need a race in Argentina again, and bring back Zandvoort!
Old 21 Nov 2000, 07:55 (Ref:49285)   #6
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Given that Grand Prix Racing started in France, its pretty audacious to suggest the France lose their Race.
They need a better track like Clermont-Ferrand, Rouen or Rheims.

We need a race in Argentina again, and bring back Zandvoort!
Hmm...
I too would not shed one tear if a couple of bombs were dropped on Mangy Cours and Paul Ricard

Although Zandvoort was probably the best track for out and out racing all those years ago, changes to the layout have totally emasculated the great track. I would rather not see it on the calendar unless they put it back to it’s original layout.

I would love to see Kyalami back on the calendar. Now that was a good track. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the Jacarepagua track in Rio de Janeiro too.

I think there should be a balance between traditional and contemporary tracks. I think each country should be allowed one GP a year but have a rule where by it can not be on the same track for two successive years. Just like when the British GP used to alternate between Silverstone and Brands Hatch. I am tired of seeing the same track year in year out.

All these long term deals that Mr E’ has with the tracks are not a good idea. if tracks had to compete to win contracts on a yearly basis we would get better standards at the tracks. But as Bernie must say “a $ in the hand is worth $$ in a bush.” You could argue that this would put ticket prices up but I think that they should be capped and revenuue extarcted from sponsorship.

Old 21 Nov 2000, 09:19 (Ref:49293)   #7
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, i agree no Country should have more than 1 race.

I-d love to see Estoril back, i could organize my holidays home to coincide with the GP

And irish GP would also be a very good idea, and yeah, Kyalami as well...

erm, that is all i can think about now...
Old 21 Nov 2000, 10:39 (Ref:49302)   #8
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We italians will fight for Imola because it is the "Circuito Enzo e Dino Ferrari". That's also the main problem in this discussion: the european races have so much tradition, even though the San Marino-GP is rather young, that it will be hard to get them out of the calendar. And then the percentage of F1-fans in relation to the countries population is immense! I visited the GP at Imola in 1999 and 2000, both times Schumacher won. Well, I'm not an explicit Ferrari-fan, but the emotions that came up in the audience and also the population around the circuit was incredible. I'd never miss that. I understand it to cut out Hungary, because nowadays it's too boring (but do you remember the great overtaking manoever of Piquet against Senna?), let's change Magny-Cours with Paul Ricard or Le Mans and so on...what does a Scandinavian GP, apart from Finland bring? The same for Dubai. There are just not enough fans! Then the financial effort of other oversea-GP's will kill teams such as Minardi!!!
Old 21 Nov 2000, 12:45 (Ref:49319)   #9
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, since I live in southamerica, it would be nice to have another race here, argentina maybe. As for other places, I think Tunisia can´t be accepted, I mean is very hot, I´ve been there, and you can´t walk sometimes, imagine a guy in a car for almost two hours, but who cares they´re professional drivers, they can stand the pain. And some have said no country must held more than 1 race, well guys monaco is not a french city, they are independent, so France has only 1 G.P.
Old 21 Nov 2000, 15:05 (Ref:49337)   #10
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well its a very fine line to be trodden when pulling apart the F1 calender but I do think it should be done , just needs a bit of care to balance the old traditional homes of Motorsport and the new up and coming fan bases. One per country is a good rule so sticking with UK,France,Germany,Italy and despite the geographical arguements I say keep Monaco too. Then you have to have USA and Canadian Gp's , also Australian and a Japanese, so far so good , thats 9. How about an Iberian GP(alternating between Spain and Portugal) , a Benelux GP (Spa or Zandvoort) add to that an Eastern European GP (likely Hungary but gives others such as Russia a chance) plus a European GP to give the likes of Austria,San Marino or a Scandinavian venue a chance every 2 or 3 years. Now we need to have a South American (Brazil?),an African(Kyalami or Tunisia)and an Asian (Malaysia) that makes 16 leaving one to be sold to the highest bidder, oops sorry no , I meant one to be awarded to either somewhere of developing interest (Dubai/Ireland) or a European that was left out due to alternations. There , that means LYM,Bononi,EERO,Tris,Carl O and Jb81 are all happy and a certain person gets richer Easy wasnt it.
Old 21 Nov 2000, 16:02 (Ref:49340)   #11
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowcoach
How about an Iberian GP(alternating between Spain and Portugal)

what!!!!???
NO thanx! why alternate? don't join us we are different countries!

Do you think anyone would accept a British isles GP alternating between Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland? And these countries are all United Kingdom...

Old 21 Nov 2000, 16:03 (Ref:49341)   #12
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slowcoach, what a fine, well thought through, sensible approach to the calander. It'll obviously never happen, but at least we know who to appoint as next FIA president!
Old 21 Nov 2000, 16:50 (Ref:49347)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the problems F1 will run into is with sponsorship. CART has had some similar problems with smaller national sponsors such as Target Departmant Stores. They do not have any stores aoutside the US but many of the races are held in places that the fans do not even know who Target is. As expensive a proposition as F1 is, only the largest sponsors will care about having races in obscure places.

As a race fan, are you interested in travelling to Tunisia to see a race? I am sure Tunisia is interesting to visit, probably more so than Indianapolis. But, will a GP be financially viable to hold and continue to hold in a place where a ticket might be worth a year's salary? Obviously Bernie is going to get his because he gets it up front, but what is served by holding a race where few attend, TV coverage is spotty at best, and does not have the necessary levels of support around it?

Nothing against the fans of F1 where ever they come from, but is this the direction F1 needs to go?
Old 25 Nov 2000, 15:02 (Ref:49859)   #14
Katherine
Rookie

Katherine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like the processional Hungarian Grand Prix replaced by the re-birth of the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort. Also, I'd like to see the South African Grand Prix re-introduced. As for more races outside Europe, I am scared. What on earth will happen to ITV's already poor coverage? It will not only go down the toilet completely, but far, far down the U-Bend and into the nearest sewage works! The de-Europeanisation of F1 is reason enough for F1 to return to the BBC, with two channels, it makes total live coverage more viable.

ITV, THE GAME IS UP!
Old 25 Nov 2000, 15:44 (Ref:49861)   #15
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, it's an interesting topic. If you accept that there will only ever be 17 GPs from now on, a few tough decisions will have to be made. There are some countries simply crying out to hold a race and a few that have little real reason to host one, yet find themselves on the calendar.

From a purist's point of view, there are quite a few circuits that are simply sub-standard and fail to provide exciting, close races. The Hungaroring is a dreadful track, with little imagination shown in its design. Even from the TV coverage, it appears that facilities are (and I'm being charitable) basic.

However, I think F1 needs a race in a former-Eastern Block country. How about a Czech GP at Brno? Great track, knowledgable fans and the infrastructure to host big races are already in place, so why not?

Other races that add little to the calendar include the European Grand Prix at the Nurburgring and, sadly, the 'new' Imola is a shadow of it's former self.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the notion that there shouldn't be more than one race in any one country. I would like to see Imola dropped in favour of Mugello and I'd even go as far as having another US GP at Elkhart Lake.

The British GP should forget all about Silverstone and Brands (which should be left just as it is, thanks...) and switch to Donington Park. And I'm not saying that just because it's the closest to my home...

Kyalami should have another crack at a South African GP but not on the current circuit - tear it down and rebuild the old one, adding lots of run off.

Seeing as I'm getting carried away, why not have a Helsinki street race, or even a Norwegian GP at the Arctic Circle Raceway - hold it at midnight when there will be plenty of daylight!!

And while I'm at it, bring back Ricard with the Mistral straight in it's longest configuration, ready for plenty of slipstreamers...
Old 25 Nov 2000, 20:44 (Ref:49890)   #16
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is this obsession with Zandvoort? the track in it's current format is diabolical! If Formula One goes back there it needs to be changed back!

As for Elkhart... yum! I would like to see a F1 car though the cork screw at Laguna Secca too!

Old 25 Nov 2000, 20:59 (Ref:49895)   #17
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I've never entirely been sure about a new race at Zandvoort myself, but I think it was one of the genuine classics. As to putting it back, that might be difficult. Just before Pulleveld the old circuit stops dead - sliced away with a large drop beyond. In place of the old Bosuit corner, there is now a holiday village...