Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 2014, 21:51 (Ref:3383128)   #2651
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Seems a bit of a waste to me. You'd think there would be scope for some one to run a support or secondary series for the S2000 cars - 2 classes: N/a engines and the NGTC engine, maybe even as part of something else.
They still cost a fair chunk to run and maintain. Look how Super Tourers have only lately become remotely affordable for privateer/clubmen racers. I can think of just the one BTC-spec car running these days and that doesnt have the original engine and gearbox. N/A S2000 cars can be raced in a few championships but they have always been silly money, hence why NGTC was created.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 09:23 (Ref:3383551)   #2652
robhollyman
Racer

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
robhollyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Lets revise those numbers for Knockhill with the usual

We can't afford damage...Knockhill is no worse than anywhere else for damage
It's too far to travel, we'd rather go to Belgium, Holland or France and test ahead of the rest of the season.
A couple of genuine crashed at the previous round and not repaired in the 3 weeks since Snetterton
And a couple of the kids in the Ginetta's realising that the Gradients are a lot steeper than their video games suggest during testing on the Friday and not getting repairs done in time - especially so if there is a reasonable number of them

So less than 10 FFs
more than 10 Porsches in each race would be novelty
Clio's just happy to see Renault remembering that Knockhill exists
Ginetta supercup actually ran 15 cars last year so credit where it's due
Only 11 ran last year, so really must improve
so maybe Knockhill should be dropped altogether and they go to Spa?
Old 24 Mar 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3383598)   #2653
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhollyman View Post
Yeah drop the track that the current champion's father-in-law owns. not to mention the only track out side England when it's a British championship.

Perhaps you forgot to add a smilie, as I do hope you were being sarcastic
Old 24 Mar 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3383599)   #2654
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah drop the track that the current champion's father-in-law owns. not to mention the only track out side England when it's a British championship.

Current champion?

Im sure you meant current runner up and 2012 champion
Old 24 Mar 2014, 13:52 (Ref:3383618)   #2655
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mixing my years up but point remains
Old 24 Mar 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3383627)   #2656
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd love to see them at Spa and for teams based in the south, it would probably be cheaper than going to Scotland. I asked Alan Gow a while ago if he was planning any foreign rounds but he ruled it out, even though the drivers would be up for it, generally the teams and most importantly the sponsors wouldn't be interested.

Given the big market share that Knockhill pulls in, the sponsors are always going to be in favour of it. If anything I would imagine that Snetterton would be first to go, perhaps to the maybe-maybe Welsh Valleys track.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3383642)   #2657
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I thought that the BTCC regularly held races at Spa?
(I am of course referring to the Belgian Touring Car Championship..)
Old 24 Mar 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3383648)   #2658
robhollyman
Racer

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
robhollyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

no sarcasm here.

you wrote a great business case for not bothering to go to knock hill. with lots of drivers and teams no bothering to go already.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3383655)   #2659
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did this can of worms need opened? No. And that's coming from a Scottish resident.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3383659)   #2660
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
no sarcasm here.

you wrote a great business case for not bothering to go to knock hill. with lots of drivers and teams no bothering to go already.
Well, from this year onwards, you HAVE to go. If you dont you lose your TBL
Old 24 Mar 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3383688)   #2661
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps holding the Knockhill tound in June or July would be better, as hotels wouldn't be under such demand, and charging inflated prices because of teh Edingboro festival.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3383690)   #2662
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I personally would like to see the Brands Indy round moved to more of a summer slot. Brands Indy is probably the best spectator experience you can get, yet its positioned right at the start of the season, when the weather is usually still very cold and miserable. Moving it to mid season would be so much more preferred. You could stick Silverstone or Rockingham as the first round(s), two events which have large, (free) grandstands to fill up.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3383716)   #2663
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Look how Super Tourers have only lately become remotely affordable for privateer/clubmen racers. I can think of just the one BTC-spec car running these days and that doesnt have the original engine and gearbox. N/A S2000 cars can be raced in a few championships but they have always been silly money, hence why NGTC was created.
I don't think Super Tourers are cheaper to run than what they have been in the past. After all a decent number have always turned out in the likes of Euro Saloons, Classic Thunder and Formula Saloons. I think the reason for the resurgence of Super Touring racing is due to a championship dedicated to these cars with a decent calendar being launched.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3383784)   #2664
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if they get an additional track to race at in future years, surely the simple solution is to get rid of one of the Brands hatch rounds or add an 11th round to the series.

Personally i like the fact that Knockhill is at the time of the edinburgh festival as it means i can make one trip and do both things which i did last year and will be doing again this year.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3383853)   #2665
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I personally would like to see the Brands Indy round moved to more of a summer slot. Brands Indy is probably the best spectator experience you can get, yet its positioned right at the start of the season, when the weather is usually still very cold and miserable. Moving it to mid season would be so much more preferred. You could stick Silverstone or Rockingham as the first round(s), two events which have large, (free) grandstands to fill up.
Make it a summertime event and they might seriously have to turn people away. I went to the 2012 DTM race on the Indy circuit and nearly every inch of usable viewing space was filled there, I can't imagine how many would come to Brands in the middle of summer. They might have to use the bad weather to keep people away.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 04:20 (Ref:3383917)   #2666
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not from the UK so I probably am missing a point the locals realise but why would it be cheaper for teams to go to Spa instead of Knockhill?

I've never really understood why teams find it hard to make the trek north to a track in the same country.

Here in Oz we have v8 races in every corner of the country which quite a lot bigger then the UK and no one complains.

Could someone please expand on why teams miss Knockhill?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3383979)   #2667
maranello48
Rookie

maranello48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most teams are based in the south of the country, so a trip to dover/folkestone, the short trip across the water and the relatively short trip the otherside to spa/zolder is actually cheaper and easier to do i believe.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3383985)   #2668
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But then again, you know from the start that Knockhill will be on the calendar. So you just calculate the costs into your budgets?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3384047)   #2669
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post
Most teams are based in the south of the country, so a trip to dover/folkestone, the short trip across the water and the relatively short trip the otherside to spa/zolder is actually cheaper and easier to do i believe.
Lets put this myth to bed shall we....

Using Silverstone as the base;

Spa
Drive via E40 · 405 mi 6 h 40 min

Knockhill
Drive via M6 · 379 mi 5 h 58 min

And Ferries/Eurotunnel isn't cheap for the trucks and other vehicles for each team.... Not to mention getting the Dunlop and TOCA kit over there.

From what I understand only WSR, AMD and Motorbase further a lot further south than Silverstone anyway.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3384050)   #2670
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranello48 View Post

I just don't understand how difficult it is for a team to load the truck up and point it north as opposed to jumping on a ferry or whatnot and crossing the seas.

If you test overseas before the season starts and then say you can't afford to go to Knockhill which is in the same country mind you then you don't have any excuse as far as I'm concerned.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3384076)   #2671
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
But it's not just the main series, it's the support series that I made my initial observations about. Perhaps suggesting Spa for a test was a bit much, but the point remains year on year the support races have smaller grids at Knockhill than other venues.

The new licence thing will ensure a big grid of TCs, perhaps TOCA need to set minimum grid levels to get on their package. Given Knockhill and Brands Indy have a max capacity of 32, the min grids should be 15 or 16.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3384138)   #2672
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
perhaps TOCA need to set minimum grid levels to get on their package. Given Knockhill and Brands Indy have a max capacity of 32, the min grids should be 15 or 16.
Difficult to force people to race. Perhaps the answer is to not have a "package" at all - let each existing series do its own thing and invite support races from successful series around the clubs for one or two off appearances.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3384165)   #2673
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFAIW TOCA don't run the supports anyway...

Clio cup was SRO, but now BARC
FF is BRSCC
and Ginetta is Ginetta.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3384184)   #2674
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even the Scottish posters here would have to acknowledge that Spa is a better circuit than Knockhill... but in terms of the BTCC, personally I'd like to have both on the calendar. If we had to sacrifice something, then I'd opt for the Brands Indy round.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3384199)   #2675
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd sacrifice the grand prix over the indy. I'm not a fan of the grand prix, mainly because it takes away one of the few overtaking opportunities at clearways.