Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jun 2008, 14:03 (Ref:2226943)   #251
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Now I'm not a very experienced driver, but shouldn't you look before you accelerate?
I am afraid i stand convicted as accused, of not looking forward before accelerating in those circumstances on one occasion. I have never done it again and i guess the same will apply to Lewis. However i am reliably informed, it is a mistake only ever made by excellent and experienced drivers
Old 12 Jun 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2227349)   #252
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
An Italian guy reported Hamilton to his local police station for causing a vehicular accident

Old 13 Jun 2008, 06:32 (Ref:2227506)   #253
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
If I do not laugh, it is only because otherwise my head would fall off.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2228121)   #254
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Watching it in slo-mo replay is interesting.
The cars exit the pit boxes. The light is green.
As they run up the pit lane it turns red.

If it went green soon after the incident then it is possibly operated on an automatic sequence or the person doing it is watching the cars on the track, not what is happening in pit lane.

They don't have brake lights, the drivers are foccussed on getting out of pit lane as quickly as possible.
Kubica is in front and notices the light go red, he pulls up.
Kimi doesn't park behind him but beside him.
Did the light go red so late that Kimi couldn't stop in time behind Kubica?--And had to pull in alongside him rather than hit him?

Hamilton is running behind Kimi and see Kimi pull alongside Kubica. Does Kubica have a problem and is Kimi going around him?
Hamilton has to decide, looks up, sees the red light but its too late... *^%%!

If it happened like that it is really no different to hitting someone up the rear on the track because you got caught out on a slippery bit...

Anyway the decision is made so lets get over it...
Also Kimi's back light was off
Old 14 Jun 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2228165)   #255
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
dunno if it's been discussed before, but it occured to me that Kimi wasnt technicaly forced to DNF it, he gave it up didnt he? I mean his engine was clearly going, he switched 1st gear and drove a good 10 metres ahead after the accident. Surely driving a full-lap with no rear-wing is a nightmare but it is doable it did happen before... alright its safe to guess that by the time he returned to pit and his crew finished fitting a new rear-wing he woulda been 2 laps down but still, was it really necesary to give up?
Old 14 Jun 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2228176)   #256
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He might have noticed something off with the rear suspension when he started again...I'd be surprised if the left rear had survived that crash.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 05:17 (Ref:2228203)   #257
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres the rear wing that was definately gone, the rear suspension that couldve possibly been fractured as stated above but theres also the possibility his diffuser was cooked, which would definately be game over unless he wanted to dial out some front wing and race with considerably less downforce.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 08:24 (Ref:2228267)   #258
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
It reminded me of of one of those "roundabout moments" you know, coming up to the roundabout behind another car, looking right, looks clear, change gear, accelerate, look ahead and the muppet in front of you has stopped. BANG
I'd put money on that being exactly what happened!!

As someone who has had a start line incident, where I ran in to the back of a stalled car on a grid, you get almost no time at all to react when something like this happens - I was doing less speed the LH would have been doing and still crashed in to the back of a stationary scar - that I didnt even realise wasnt moving until much too late. It is very difficult to know whether a car in front is moving or not when you are only a few cm's above the ground. Still LH's fault - he obviously missed the red light until it was too late, but he would have had an impossible job of determining the fact that the cars in front were stationary in the time available as well.

There were a lot of conflicting signals - blue and flashing red lights - unusual (only usually happens at Montreal), two cars side by side in the pitlane - also unusual, and both stationary - which I dont remember seeing before. However, I think LH will learn from it (as I learnt from my start line inccident!) and it wont happen again. A rookie mistake in a way because this set of circumstances has not happened to him (Or Rosberg) before.

Penalty seems harsh, but some sort of penalty was justified, and this is the only option according to the rules.

As for LH lack of 'media' ability in the post race interviews. Who cars. He still is a damn sight more friednly than KR! People who slag him for not launching directly in to a full blown apology straight after the incident really need to consider what has just happened, and the pressure these people are under to perform. Their mind set just doesnt allow them to do that!! I absolutely hate admitting to a mistake, so I doubt he likes doing it either!!

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2228342)   #259
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
Penalty seems harsh, but some sort of penalty was justified, and this is the only option according to the rules.
Er, no it wasn't. They could have gave him a timed penalty at that race.

I do think they should make five places an option for driving standards penalties, or possibly something else.

Quote:
As for LH lack of 'media' ability in the post race interviews. Who cars. He still is a damn sight more friednly than KR!
Maybe Kimi does more talking to journos than gets reported in the UK due to the slightly overzealous Lewis-mania going on.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2228522)   #260
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Er, no it wasn't. They could have gave him a timed penalty at that race.
He DNF'd. A timed penalty only works when you finish.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2229185)   #261
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
[quote=duke_toaster
I do think they should make five places an option for driving standards penalties, or possibly something else.
[/quote]

5 places would be a good option.

[quote=duke_toaster
Maybe Kimi does more talking to journos than gets reported in the UK due to the slightly overzealous Lewis-mania going on.
[/quote]

Well, in the interviews I have seen he is pretty un-questionably monosyllabic - not the friendliest thing for interviewing, independent of media hype. Did like the pat on the back though! That was class!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 13:48 (Ref:2232644)   #262
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this weekend in France Heikki and/or the BMW's can give Kimi and Felipe some hassle and help Lewis and Nico catch up and recover some justice following the IMO *ridiculous 10 place grid penalties.

*I say ridiculous due to Kimi receiving no penalty for what he did to Adrian at Monaco, the previous race. How more blatant can the Ferrari favouritism get?

Last edited by trevisio; 19 Jun 2008 at 13:51.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2232675)   #263
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah come off it - Kimi lost control whilst racing, Lewis shouldn't even have been racing in the pit lane!
Old 19 Jun 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2232718)   #264
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Kimi himself summed this up pretty well "even a five year old knows to stop at a red light".
Old 19 Jun 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2232730)   #265
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Well to be fair, had they seen the light they likely would have stopped. But they not only didnt see the light, they didnt even look for it.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2232733)   #266
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Taprobane - or not get bladdered on Smirnoff Ice and get your whatsit out at a strip club.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2232793)   #267
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Ah come off it - Kimi lost control whilst racing, Lewis shouldn't even have been racing in the pit lane!
But weren't Kubica and Kimi the ones doing this?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2232828)   #268
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisio

*I say ridiculous due to Kimi receiving no penalty for what he did to Adrian at Monaco, the previous race. How more blatant can the Ferrari favouritism get?
You maybe English/British, but you can't honestly be serious. What favourtism? Kimi's car hit a damp patch, he lost control and unfortunately hit Sutil, simple as that. Lewis hit 2 stationary cars, he wasn't paying attention, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
But weren't Kubica and Kimi the ones doing this?
At least they weren't crashing into one another

Afaik, there isn't a ruling about going alongside one another, as Kimi and Robert did. The only thing that could be said would be against the Ferrari team themselves. It could be said that they maybe should have released Kimi once Robert had passed.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2232998)   #269
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
You maybe English/British, but you can't honestly be serious.
Yes I'm honestly serious....and English/British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
What favourtism? Kimi's car hit a damp patch, he lost control and unfortunately hit Sutil, simple as that. Lewis hit 2 stationary cars, he wasn't paying attention, for whatever reason.
Or it could be said that Kimi wasn't paying attention to the damp patch, for whatever reason and Lewis was hindered by Kimi racing alongside Robert in the pitlane.

In both crashes I believe that the team of each driver could have warned them of what they weren't paying attention to, this also applies to Nico.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2233035)   #270
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In both crashes I believe that the team of each driver could have warned them of what they weren't paying attention to, this also applies to Nico.
Watch this, listen to the commentary and then tell me how the Ferrari team could have warned Kimi.

Remember also that he was travelling at 300 km/h on a section of track that was not only damp but bumpy.

Hamilton was doing 80 km/h in the pit lane and he was warned. In this week's Autosport it says 'Lewis's race engineer apparently shouted "red light, red light", as his man left the pits but...'

If all of this too boring for others, watch this on-board lap from Kimi earlier in the Monaco weekend. There's no commentary, but the sound track is great.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2233077)   #271
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are we still arguing about this?

It was Lewis' fault. Kimi and Robert each did exactly the right thing. Lewis didn't and slammed into the back of Kimi. Nico put his hand up and copped it on the chin - the precious Lewis couldn't do the same.

There can be no comparison to an accident on the racetrack at 300km/h on a damp racetrack and driving blindly into the back of a car stopped at a red light in pitlane.

If there were no cars in front and Lewis sailed through the red light back out onto the track, he would have been disqualified (and still talking about his "likely win"). It is seen as a serious indiscretion.

In my opinion, the penalty is completely justified.

Now, can we move on to France... I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Lewis carve through the field.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2233078)   #272
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
From today's press conference:

Q: A question to all of you first of all. Looking back to Canada, your thoughts on that race, what you learned and your feelings after the race. Anything to be gained or learned?

Lewis HAMILTON: I think it was a pretty cool weekend for me really apart from it not ending the way we wanted it to, but that's racing.

Q: Anything to be learned or gained?

LH: Not particularly, no.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 00:58 (Ref:2233093)   #273
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
From today's press conference:

Q: A question to all of you first of all. Looking back to Canada, your thoughts on that race, what you learned and your feelings after the race. Anything to be gained or learned?

Lewis HAMILTON: I think it was a pretty cool weekend for me really apart from it not ending the way we wanted it to, but that's racing.

Q: Anything to be learned or gained?

LH: Not particularly, no.

Yeap, it also drew my attention.

I think I prefer Rosberg's attitude.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 03:34 (Ref:2233125)   #274
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
I'm sure Kimi wouldve greatly appreciated his race engineer telling him on the entry to each corner "Mind the water"....
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2233428)   #275
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I'm sure Kimi wouldve greatly appreciated his race engineer telling him on the entry to each corner "Mind the water"....
I think Adrian Sutil, Force India and, come to think of it, the entire popuilation of India would have appreciated it...