Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 May 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3413153)   #3101
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
I was wondering that. I hear no complaints that all of these other series run on spec tires but for some reason that since it happens in IMSA, it's wrong.
IMSA is different because they have featured tire freedom ever since I began watching in 2001.
We had tire freedom and then they took it away.
Quote:
If Michelin supplied 100% of the tires in IMSA, would that be just fine?
It would not be fine if the rules REQUIRED that all team run on Michelin tires.
If all teams are running the same tire by choice, or if other brands are just simply not participating, then there is still the potential for competition.
Michelin can legitematly state, that no other tire companies are competing because they don't think that they can beat them.
Quote:
It seems to me that it is a pie in the sky sort of thing. We want a tire war but the companies that make tires, won't participate in the war.
Tire freedom is not the same thing as a tire war.
Rules allowing open tires can lead to a tire war, however that depends on manufacturer involvement.
Quote:
I think that we just have to accept the fact that tire wars are going away and get on with it.
That's easy for you to say... You are not in favor of tire freedom to begin with.
Old 31 May 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3413191)   #3102
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
IMSA is different because they have featured tire freedom ever since I began watching in 2001.
We had tire freedom and then they took it away.

It would not be fine if the rules REQUIRED that all team run on Michelin tires.
If all teams are running the same tire by choice, or if other brands are just simply not participating, then there is still the potential for competition.
Michelin can legitematly state, that no other tire companies are competing because they don't think that they can beat them.

Tire freedom is not the same thing as a tire war.
Rules allowing open tires can lead to a tire war, however that depends on manufacturer involvement.

That's easy for you to say... You are not in favor of tire freedom to begin with.
IMSA has had many series during that time frame with spec tires! The ALMS had no spec tire for the majority of it's classes for the majority of the time. This IS NOT the ALMS it is the TUSC series, where not all classes have spec tire rules.

L.P.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 13:20 (Ref:3413735)   #3103
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
IMSA has had many series during that time frame with spec tires!
I am not opposed to spec tires for series like GT3 cup, IMSA lights, or classes such as LMPC.
However, I think that the top rung of American sports car competition should be less restrictive on thing like tire selection.
Quote:
The ALMS had no spec tire for the majority of it's classes for the majority of the time. This IS NOT the ALMS it is the TUSC series, where not all classes have spec tire rules.

L.P.
I am aware of that, but I don't have to like it.

Last edited by TRspitfirefan; 1 Jun 2014 at 13:27.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3413736)   #3104
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
This IS NOT the ALMS it is the TUSC series, where all classes except one, including the "premier" prototype class, have spec tire rules.

L.P.
Fixed it for you.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3413927)   #3105
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Fixed it for you.
No, you did not FIX it!

L.P.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3413933)   #3106
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Tire war or not, having a spec tire in your premier class that is creating such artificial results as what tusc is seeing, is making the series look like a joke.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 02:32 (Ref:3413991)   #3107
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Tire war or not, having a spec tire in your premier class that is creating such artificial results as what tusc is seeing, is making the series look like a joke.
Good point. If the top class had a spec tire that the cars were all designed to utilize that's one thing. But if the tires were designed for one set of cars and the p2's just have to deal with it....
Old 2 Jun 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3414355)   #3108
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Couldn't it also work for continental that since they now supply tires for cars that are eligible for le mans (or similar to them), if they would at least make an effort, they could develop a tire suita let for p2s and potentially have a team go to le mans and use them there? Wouldn't that be good for everybody?
Old 2 Jun 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3414393)   #3109
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Couldn't it also work for continental that since they now supply tires for cars that are eligible for le mans (or similar to them), if they would at least make an effort, they could develop a tire suita let for p2s and potentially have a team go to le mans and use them there? Wouldn't that be good for everybody?
I would certainly think so. Anyway, I think something should be done to the tyres. IMSA can't afford to have more teams leaving the top class and it isn't really good publicity for Continental to have teams complaining about the tyres all the time.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3420605)   #3110
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The link isn't working right now, but OAK Racing will be expanding to two cars for the last two TUSCC rounds and will be debuting the Ligier JS P2 in the states (alongside 8Star)
Old 14 Jun 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3420917)   #3111
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Actually the sale of one of the cars to 8Star wasn't confirmed by OAK's team manager Dumas (yet).
Old 16 Jun 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3422681)   #3112
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watkins Glen entries are up on IMSA's web site. 55 entries total. The one thing that bothers me is that GTD is down to 21 cars after pushing close to 30 at Daytona and this is for a NAEC event.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3422716)   #3113
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Krohn comes to GTLM as a non-factory Ferrari, and most of the best GTD teams are on the list. A few more random cars on track aren't going to add a lot.

There were only GTD 22 entries at Laguna Seca.

Daytona is always the biggest entry because it gets the most press, carries the most prestige, and thus attracts the most one-offs and second cars by one-car teams. Losing a handful of GTD entries compared to Daytona doesn't bother me, and numbers have been stable since.

Let's see if 13 prototypes actually take the green flag.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3422726)   #3114
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like I will be able to go to the Watkins Glen 6 hour race. I'd like to see a race in person and this is the best opportunity for me to do it because of work conflicts.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:33 (Ref:3422729)   #3115
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I sincerely hope you enjoy it. A six-hour race is a great wqay to start because you will be able to walk all around the track and watch from several vantage points.

I don't know if there are jumbotrons; I don't know if the race will be on FM radio locally. I would suggest checking on FM radio, and also download the IMSA mobile app to track timing and scoring. It is almost impossible to figure out which car is where after the first pit stop.

Bring good walking shoes, sunscreen, an emergency rain cape ... and a huger load of envy form me---I wish I could go but real life gets in the way, as you know.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3422731)   #3116
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest thing that has bothered me when it comes to entries in the TUSC series so far this year is NOT the lack of Muscle Milk PR, or Level 5, or Gainsco, but rather the lack of Aston Martins in GTLM.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3422735)   #3117
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
You can blame that entirely on Aston Martin.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3423105)   #3118
ttdriver2009
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I sincerely hope you enjoy it. A six-hour race is a great wqay to start because you will be able to walk all around the track and watch from several vantage points.

I don't know if there are jumbotrons; I don't know if the race will be on FM radio locally. I would suggest checking on FM radio, and also download the IMSA mobile app to track timing and scoring. It is almost impossible to figure out which car is where after the first pit stop.

Bring good walking shoes, sunscreen, an emergency rain cape ... and a huger load of envy form me---I wish I could go but real life gets in the way, as you know.
I found the schedule and there seems to be plenty of on track activity. Looks like Saturday will have a 150 minute Continental race, Tudor qualifying, Porsche GT3 Cup, Prototype Lites and Lamborgini racing. Sunday is the 6 hour race. A friend of mine found some offer and it was for Saturday and Sunday. The price was $50, which seemed like a good deal.

I usually bring my back pack with the stuff I think I'll need. I have some good worn in hiking shoes, a smartphone, scanner and a small AM/FM radio. I do have plenty of rain gear as when you go to places like Spa, it seems to be raining there when I show up.

I'll have to be driving from Rochester because that's where I'll be working out of. Already packed my backpack and other luggage because I'll ship it to the plant where I'll be working at.

Watkins Glen looks like a track like I'd see in Europe (lots of elevation changes and located in a forest). Should be nice to see a race in person. I read all of this internet bickering going on and figured that since I can make it work to go to a race, might as well take advantage of it and see it in person.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 15:48 (Ref:3423108)   #3119
Maelochs
Veteran

Now I have even more envy ... "when you go to places like Spa, it seems to be raining there when I show up."
Old 17 Jun 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3423151)   #3120
ttdriver2009
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Now I have even more envy ... "when you go to places like Spa, it seems to be raining there when I show up."
I think the rain follows me around. I like rain racing but there are times where I just want it to be clear and sunny.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3423155)   #3121
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
The biggest thing that has bothered me when it comes to entries in the TUSC series so far this year is NOT the lack of Muscle Milk PR, or Level 5, or Gainsco, but rather the lack of Aston Martins in GTLM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You can blame that entirely on Aston Martin.
They couldn't get favorable BOP. If you saw how the 97 GTE Aston Martin was running like it had 12 cylinders fueled by methanol at Le Mans you would think they could be competitive. Aston Martin's interpretation of "competitive" is needs work perhaps...
Old 17 Jun 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3423175)   #3122
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
They couldn't get favorable BOP. If you saw how the 97 GTE Aston Martin was running like it had 12 cylinders fueled by methanol at Le Mans you would think they could be competitive. Aston Martin's interpretation of "competitive" is needs work perhaps...
Nascar also treated them like s**t and put them out in the shitty garages with PC and CTSCC.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3423197)   #3123
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Oh well. Full season entries get priority.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3423203)   #3124
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Oh well. Full season entries get priority.
Yeah we would hate to have those none Murican running.

Last edited by joeb; 17 Jun 2014 at 21:16. Reason: removed inappropriate content
Old 17 Jun 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3423212)   #3125
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what, a team was going to get shafted garage wise, it seems like a rather trivial thing to complain about.

Anyways, if garage placement did play a part in their withdrawal I have somehow lost even more respect for that team.