Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 May 2024, 17:59 (Ref:4207761)   #326
MikeL
Rookie

MikeL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two unrelated issues. In qual the temp hit 100 after just four laps, I could feel the brakes binding and as I came into the pit lane they locked solid. Between qual and race we changed the master cylinder and removed the grill and other bits of cowl. In the time it took to form us on the grid the temp hit 95 and hence I pulled off the grid, as I made my way back to the paddock where the brakes locked again and the temp was pretty well off the scale!

Brakes should be a simple enough fix, I'm pretty sure it relates to the angle of the rod from the pedal to the cylinder and spacing for piston travel. The cooling needs more thinking about, there is scope to increase the rad thickness from 70mm to 100mm and also scope to increase the size of rad. Also moving the fan to behind, maybe viscous type, and adding a shroud to enable air to be drawn through the whole of the matrix as against being limited to the elec diameter. The other job to do is replace the pump, which as far as I know is standard, with a high velocity one.

I was planning a Silverstone race early June, the GP circuit, but I will pull the Chevy from that one and swap to my standard Gilbern GT instead. This gives me more time to address the cooling and test before the next race.

On the plus side, the heavier springs on the back were much better and the change of CWP gave me suitable gearing.
Old 7 May 2024, 19:23 (Ref:4207764)   #327
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
A good practice session, then Mike. As to your comment about the angle and more likely the clearance between the rod and the master cylinder, a typical issue, I think you're right.

Better water pump will help and may be an electric booster too, checking the restrictor plate or/and the thermostat is very important, we had many issues with our 'Vette. With fans behind the rad we had better results too. If you can figure out how the hot air can go outside of the engine bay, you'll learn a lot more too.
Old 7 May 2024, 20:04 (Ref:4207765)   #328
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the update Mike. Hopefully it all goes well for you at Silverstone. Or at least you enjoy yourself along the way