Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Jun 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3085184)   #3476
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found a zoutube video of the R18 that McNish crashed yesterday...Hardly any damage except the skewed rear wing...

RadioLM gave me the impression that the entire rear wing was gone...Looks like a minor off and nudged the rear of the car in the barriers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-s6...feature=relmfu
Old 4 Jun 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3085196)   #3477
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Or another case of Audi being able to run more downforce because the technical regulations give a diesel engine a power advantage
The ideal lap time is a good indication of the extra speed that the two cars have in hand:
  • R18 e-tron quattro: 3:25.776
  • R18 ultra: 3:26.356
  • TS030: 3:26.339
If Toyota can get a extra lap in they should be coming pretty close I think.
To bad it's hard to calculate how much time the audi is going to lose by doing one or two laps less vs the time they get back with running faster vs total toyota pitstop time. But anyone that knows that would get rich really fast I guess...
Old 4 Jun 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3085200)   #3478
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
If Toyota can get a extra lap in they should be coming pretty close I think.
To bad it's hard to calculate how much time the audi is going to lose by doing one or two laps less vs the time they get back with running faster vs total toyota pitstop time. But anyone that knows that would get rich really fast I guess...
Not to mention who will double, triple, and quadruple stint the tires.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3085222)   #3479
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
At the moment it does not look that Toyota will be able to do another lap. In fact the situation might be reverse.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3085256)   #3480
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
At the moment it does not look that Toyota will be able to do another lap. In fact the situation might be reverse.
The only indication i get is that they have not shown there cards and in terms of fuel mileage. I note a couple of things in Toyota's favor.

1) Direct Injection.
2) Low downforce package.
3) Hybrid.
4) More fuel than the Audi's.

From that its hard to believe they can only do 10 laps..Im thinking they'll be able to run 13 - 14 laps yet..
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:36 (Ref:3085277)   #3481
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
But does the Toyota engine have DFI? We have to remember that their slower car in the test only ran one 12 lap stint, and the average for Toyota was 10-11 laps.

Audi easily ran 11 lap stints and a few 12 lappers--and that's with a 5 liter smaller tank than 2011. I think that Toyota may very well break even with Audi if Audi pushes it, but they don't seen to have the hoped for fuel mileage advantage. This means that Toyota is running LD aero and cranking up the wick to get the power and the top speeds that they're getting, especially if Audi have some power in reserve.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3085284)   #3482
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
But does the Toyota engine have DFI? We have to remember that their slower car in the test only ran one 12 lap stint, and the average for Toyota was 10-11 laps.
The 12 lap stint that Toyota did, was during a simulated safety car period. So that does not really count.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3085289)   #3483
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

Audi easily ran 11 lap stints and a few 12 lappers--and that's with a 5 liter smaller tank than 2011. I think that Toyota may very well break even with Audi if Audi pushes it, but they don't seen to have the hoped for fuel mileage advantage. This means that Toyota is running LD aero and cranking up the wick to get the power and the top speeds that they're getting, especially if Audi have some power in reserve.
Are you sure thats how ld works? Because last year the Peugeots had the same antics and got better fuel mileage than the Audis. Its not the top speed that burns fuel. Its the downforce.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3085295)   #3484
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Are you sure thats how ld works? Because last year the Peugeots had the same antics and got better fuel mileage than the Audis. Its not the top speed that burns fuel. Its the downforce.
Indeed. More downforce means more drag ... means more power needed to push the car through the air ... means higher fuel consumption. That could explain Audi's 11 lap stint strategy last year.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3085299)   #3485
Articus
Veteran

And since we have seen the Toyota running so trimmed out if they were to add downforce and suddenly only be able to do 8 or 9 laps we know something is probably ludicrously wrong...That leads me to believe they just didn't show they're cards. The figures dont add up for Toyota to only be able to do 10 lap stints.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3085303)   #3486
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Stop spreading disinformation by talking about 10 lap stints. Toyota did two 11 lap stints during the test day and one 12 lap stint (partially behind the safety car).

See http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...49#post3084749
Old 4 Jun 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3085318)   #3487
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
He said IF they ran more wing then it might cut their stint to 10 laps.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3085341)   #3488
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can see this turning into one of those really interesting discussions...
Old 4 Jun 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3085347)   #3489
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I can see this turning into one of those really interesting discussions...
Adam, quite some foresight you got there

Gwyillion + TF110 + Toyotas performance = dead discussion (meant in the best way)
Old 5 Jun 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3085466)   #3490
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
The layout has changed quite a bit from last year.

2011:

2012:
The best picture of the front suspension thus far:

I expected that there would be two front electric motors, but I see only one (on the right).

Remember that Antonio Pannullo pointed out the main changes in http://lemansprototypes.over-blog.it...104562959.html

Old 5 Jun 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3085558)   #3491
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
In the Toyota topic I already calculated some metrics (average of highest top speed, average of fastest sector 2 times, and average of fastest lap times) from the time data of the test day.

I also calculated the average lap time of the long runs (10 or more laps), like Paul Truswell did in 2011.

Morning:
No.CarDriverStintAverage lap time
1Audi R18 e-tron quattroTréluyer113:32.820
1Audi R18 e-tron quattroTréluyer123:33.019
2Audi R18 e-tron quattroKristensen123:35.551
3Audi R18 ultraDumas103:36.456
3Audi R18 ultraGené123:35.616
3Audi R18 ultraDuval123:35.215
4Audi R18 ultraBonanomi123:36.756
4Audi R18 ultraJarvis123:34.747
7Toyota TS030Nakajima113:39.343
7Toyota TS030Lapierre103:33.688
Afternoon:
No.CarDriverStintAverage lap time
1Audi R18 e-tron quattroLotterer113:31.489
8Toyota TS030Davidson113:36.783

Contrarily to Paul's analysis, I exclude both the in and out lap. So the average is only calculated over the laps on the track.

Last edited by gwyllion; 5 Jun 2012 at 11:36.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3086011)   #3492
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Audi is operating with a 7% power reduction compared to last year, correct? Last year at Le Mans they ran a 47.4 mm restrictor and now they're using a 45.8 mm? The only BoP adjustment ahead of LM last year that I see that effected Audi was a fuel flow change, correct?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 02:59 (Ref:3086028)   #3493
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Audi is operating with a 7% power reduction compared to last year, correct? Last year at Le Mans they ran a 47.4 mm restrictor and now they're using a 45.8 mm? The only BoP adjustment ahead of LM last year that I see that effected Audi was a fuel flow change, correct?
Actually about ~6.64% reduction based on area difference. Audi's PR material from LM 2011 claims a 47.5 mm...hmmm. Only .1 difference but still...47.5 vs 45.8 = 7.03% diff.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 6 Jun 2012 at 03:07.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3086104)   #3494
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelisB View Post
I've never seen a double entry turbo like that one. Anyone know if they're out there or is this a audi (borg warner) invention?
Also pretty interesting to see the 120 degree V angle on that v6. It's not something new but it's also not something you see very often...
P.U.R.E. has released a computer drawing of its 2014 F1 engine:

source: http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-new...e?artid=144284

Guess what. The turbine of the turbocharger also has a double entry, just like the Audi R18 VTG turbo

On this drawing it is unclear whether the compressor also has two exists to feed intercoolers at either side of the engine, or whether there is only one intercooler on the left side of the engine.

Note that the F1 rules mandate a 90° V6 configuration and that the exhausts must be at the outside of the engine. So the configuration that Audi is using (120° and exhaust inside V) is not allowed.

Finally, P.U.R.E. seems to be using traditional indirect fuel injection (i.e., injectors in the manifold) while the F1 do allow direct fuel injection (i.e., injectors in combustion chamber).
Old 6 Jun 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3086326)   #3495
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post
sorry,maybe I lost some parts of this topic...AMS magazine undisclosed prior r18tdi technology with a deep review

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/m...a-5034325.html
Thanks for the link.

The article says that according to simulations from Lola a hybrid system is worth up to 3 seconds per lap at Le Mans. The average lap times that I calculated earlier, confirm this number. In the morning the fastest stint of the e-tron quattro (Tréluyer) was around 2 seconds faster on average than the fastest stint of the ultra (Jarvis).

The article also explains how Audi reduced the weight of the R18 during the winter. The 2011 R18 weighed 850 kg and the 2012 R18 ultra only 750 kg! 30 kg was saved with the carbon gearbox casing, 15 kg on the engine, turbo and cooling, and 40 kg on the chassis, bodywork and suspension. The hybrid system weighs less than 100 kg.

So in the e-tron quattro they still have around 50 kg of ballast, whereas in the ultra they can position 140 kg of ballast!

Last edited by gwyllion; 6 Jun 2012 at 15:53.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3086328)   #3496
Articus
Veteran

Presumably the hybrid cars are exponentially better in traffic than the non-hybrids. That extra boost of power after having to lift makes up for alot of time lost in arnage/mulsanne chicanes.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3086411)   #3497
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hybrid system reduce 3sec per Lap in Le mans???? Uau!!!

Last year pole was 3:25.799, so with that 3 seconds This year pole will be around 3:22 s for Audi and Toyota 3:24s
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3086455)   #3498
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Thanks for the link.

The article also explains how Audi reduced the weight of the R18 during the winter. The 2011 R18 weighed 850 kg and the 2012 R18 ultra only 750 kg! 30 kg was saved with the carbon gearbox casing, 15 kg on the engine, turbo and cooling, and 40 kg on the chassis, bodywork and suspension. The hybrid system weighs less than 100 kg.

So in the e-tron quattro they still have around 50 kg of ballast, whereas in the ultra they can position 140 kg of ballast!
Wow, the base weight of the Ultra is 750kg, quite impressive. How much faster would it be around LeMans if there was a 750 kg minimum weight I wonder?
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3086464)   #3499
Articus
Veteran

^Significantly. under 3:20 for sure. cars.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3086469)   #3500
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for the link.

The article says that according to simulations from Lola a hybrid system is worth up to 3 seconds per lap at Le Mans. The average lap times that I calculated earlier, confirm this number. In the morning the fastest stint of the e-tron quattro (Tréluyer) was around 2 seconds faster on average than the fastest stint of the ultra (Jarvis).

I wasn't sure were "new things" for you....
could be very interesting see old monster v12tdi or v10 tdi with this weight reduction versus f1