Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Mar 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3522014)   #3626
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching the video the first changes that need to be made that come to mind are:
1) increase the height of the mound between the tire barrier and the viewing area.
2) Expand the tire barrier outward and in height.
3) move the fence back.

Like others have said here, I feel that is was an unfortunate rare accident that would of been hard to predict prior to happening.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3522039)   #3627
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Why is it the tracks issue if the car becomes a plane?
It is the driver who detriments how fast he is going over the kink. It is the teams/manufactures who decides the level of downforce to keep the car down.

How can it be the track which needs to change, and not the driver and car, who easily can do i?
lots of tracks are modified as required for safety reasons, why should the ring be any different? I read a post that it would be a shame if the ring was changed, in particular if that bump was say reduced. over time tracks become worse due to the elements or asphalt needs changing or upgrading. car racing is who can go the fastest and finish first. now we have to increase down force to make the car slower and safer over the bump, that's madness. should we also make restrictors smaller to generate less HP so cars go slower? why doesn't F1 race there anymore? cars are now too fast and the track isn't safe enough? maybe they have reached the same moment in time with GT3 cars?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 02:47 (Ref:3522057)   #3628
helmat
Rookie

Austria
Vienna
helmat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
JAS tested the Civic during a VLN round last year and where over 50 seconds slower than the fastest GT3 cars http://www.vln.de/includes/download....014-09-13t.pdf (position 31)
It was the first run of that car on thar track and they did 1 timed lap the whole weekend, also both drivers didn't really have any real track knowledge. I'd suspect there is quite some room for improvement
Old 31 Mar 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3522093)   #3629
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
A random thought occurred to me today-what of the creator of this thread Atle Gulbrandsen? Is he still racing in VLN?
Old 31 Mar 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3522129)   #3630
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, I agree the track shouldn't be modified, if the spirit of it is going to change, but something should be done if it is desired to delay the decision of permanently ban GT3 like F1 did.

No driver is to blame clearly, a car should be pushed as hard as you can like E.G. Eau rouge at SPA, but in case of accident measures should be taken.

1) In connection to this the fence should be pushed back more distance in case a car takes off.

2) Some aero restrictions should be introduced. GT3 should have the shape of the actual road cars, so some aero restrictions to avoid take offs should be welcomed if they make the GT car a little more similar to their road counterpart, F1 bans certain type of Aero improvements, so GT racing could do in the same way.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:00 (Ref:3522171)   #3631
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If we start blaming the drivers for cars taking off then that's a very dangerous road to go down.;
Old 31 Mar 2015, 11:03 (Ref:3522172)   #3632
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In this matter, I don't care what they do the to the fences or spectator areas or the cars itself - well I do care but as in not in the negative way - but there are two areas I don't want this to be headed

1) Circuit configuration modifications
2) ADAC adopting the idiotic Creventic target-lap-time crap
Old 31 Mar 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3522221)   #3633
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post

1) In connection to this the fence should be pushed back more distance in case a car takes off.
In my Opinion, the turn 'Flugzeug' is conflictive (Spectators shouldn't be there, because cars take off there due nature of the track), so runoffarea is mandatory, even if there could be trees there that should be cutt down in that case, for driver security. Due to the reason it happened before, this measure is due to avoid any further accidents with expectators at this turn. Mending something that now it's broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post

2) Some aero restrictions should be introduced. GT3 should have the shape of the actual road cars, so some aero restrictions to avoid take offs should be welcomed if they make the GT car a little more similar to their road counterpart, F1 bans certain type of Aero improvements, so GT racing could do in the same way.
Something that should be done to avoid taking off and rollingovers, with future Laptime reductions. Anticipate the future.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 13:24 (Ref:3522240)   #3634
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about this for GT3 cars?

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story...235-mph-121914
Old 31 Mar 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3522361)   #3635
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
GT3 cars might be in theory getting close to Group C times, but they do it in a different way with tyres, track knowledge and aero and the cars are far slower and easier to drive than twin turbo, wide, cars. I would imagine Bellof worked a million times harder than any of these guy to do his lap time!

Its the same at the Isle of Man TT, taht track has being resurfaced, bumps got rid of, areas opened up. So comparing what say a Hislop. Foarty or Dunlop did there is largely irrelevant due to changes in tyres, electronics etc.

The track is nowhere near as bumpy, the tarmac is better and safety where it can be is vastly improved

There have been tens of thousands of laps done there in all sorts of cars, this is just a freak incident bought on perhaps by a slightly unstable car given that a team suffered a similar issue there last year, and highly likely a gust of wind in just the wrong place.

If anything, due to the previous incident, perhaps questions might be quietly asked as to what was done when the GTR took off there last year. As the precedent has already been set with the Mercs at Le Mans that were clearly unstable yet told to race
Siding you here most the way.
One thing I'd like to add is that at the TT course newcomers get introduced to the circuit in 2 or 3 meetings before the TT and that they get an own dedicated untimed lap at the start to practice week. I don't think the Nordschleife rookie course is nearly as intensive compared to the TT newcomers.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 17:47 (Ref:3522368)   #3636
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'd argue that's what VLN is to the N24, or at least how it's seen. Qualifying race even more so.

That said, the lack of practice at VLN probably wouldn't make it suitable for that.

Last edited by Rodger Davies; 31 Mar 2015 at 17:55.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3522382)   #3637
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If anyone is interested, here's my report and a couple of photos of the race: http://www.gt-report.com/2015/03/31/...e-to-remember/ Don't bother if you're only looking for details on the crash, but I will have something very interesting later this week.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 18:57 (Ref:3522397)   #3638
Andy77
Veteran

Really good and carefully chosen words there, Miguel.
I quite enjoy reading your reports.
Old 31 Mar 2015, 19:54 (Ref:3522422)   #3639
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Andy, appreciate it. I'm not a native English speaker, so you gotta forgive me the mistakes someone who isn't makes
Old 1 Apr 2015, 06:53 (Ref:3522608)   #3640
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a new video uploaded yesterday with consent of the relatives of the victim which shows that the car was all behind the second fence and rolled back behind the first. It was flying all arround people, it is a miracle that not more spectators were involved.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3522656)   #3641
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee View Post
There was a new video uploaded yesterday with consent of the relatives of the victim which shows that the car was all behind the second fence and rolled back behind the first. It was flying all arround people, it is a miracle that not more spectators were involved.

That certainly sheds a lot more light on how the car behaved when it went over the fence. It's not a graphic video but it's certainly unsettling to watch. .
Old 1 Apr 2015, 10:25 (Ref:3522665)   #3642
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Thanks Andy, appreciate it. I'm not a native English speaker, so you gotta forgive me the mistakes someone who isn't makes
No worries mate. Neither am I. Really appreciate your reports :-)
Old 1 Apr 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3522814)   #3643
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
That certainly sheds a lot more light on how the car behaved when it went over the fence. It's not a graphic video but it's certainly unsettling to watch. .
That's pretty much the view my friend had, I suppose. It sickens me (like really) to think he could've been hit harder by that car than he already was.

Got a couple more photos online (again, nothing from the accident): http://www.gt-report.com/2015/04/01/...emember-pt-ii/
Old 1 Apr 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3522818)   #3644
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I would think they'd let the GT4s back in and perhaps ban the SP4T TT-RS as the bans right now just aren't very consistent.
Well, GT4 got reinstated, the TT-RS is still legal, but if you run a Porsche in Cup-2 or H4 you are as of right now out of luck.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 18:45 (Ref:3522829)   #3645
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
GT4s got reinstated? But in statement issued today it said SP10, among others, was still gonna be banned

http://www.24h-rennen.de/en/official...-is-continued/

---

I wonder if the ban holds for GTs @ 24 hours and it becomes touring car race again, will TV bother even covering the event - at least as as widely? Sure they have contracts but there are probably loopholes in it

Last edited by Deleted; 1 Apr 2015 at 18:51.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 18:55 (Ref:3522832)   #3646
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
GT4s got reinstated?

---
Motorsport Total's report from the DMSB round table certainly says so.

Quote:
Die seriennahe Klasse SP10 (unter anderem GT4-Versionen vom BMW M3 oder Aston Martin Vantage) ist hingegen ab sofort wieder zugelassen.
Old 1 Apr 2015, 18:58 (Ref:3522835)   #3647
Deleted
Veteran

How I love contradictory statements... Just like last week with Kolles P1

Think there might come spiraling influx of GT4 entries if the other classes stay banned...
Old 1 Apr 2015, 19:39 (Ref:3522839)   #3648
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
N24Q race is a go anyway, regardless of the ban. Probably for the best, even if it'll be a huge blow for the financial aspect of the race (which is one big joke in itself, but that's not the point).
Old 1 Apr 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3522841)   #3649
Deleted
Veteran

How many entries would have been in last weekends first race had the banned classes + lower Porkies not been participating? But counting in SP10 if it's truly back
Old 1 Apr 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3522849)   #3650
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
That's pretty much the view my friend had, I suppose. It sickens me (like really) to think he could've been hit harder by that car than he already was.
Really sorry to hear that, he wasn't the person that passed away, was he?
If not, I hope his injuries are not too bad - mentally it's probably a completely different ball game... poor dude