Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Mar 2014, 05:32 (Ref:3381771)   #3901
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find it strange that Porsche are concerned with the "shorter tracks". Their whole marketing campaign has been built around their return to Le Mans. Not their return to the WEC.
I as an ardent Porsche fan, am hopeful that they are competitive at Le Mans. I accept that they may be off the ball on the other shorter tracks (especially the first two races).
Personally i would like to see them get Le Mans right; then one can concentrate on the "lesser" races.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 06:11 (Ref:3381773)   #3902
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For a project that has been in development for well over a year, I find it hard to believe that a constructor as capable as Porsche is having major problems this close to the season opener.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 06:56 (Ref:3381779)   #3903
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Question for the Techies/engineers: I had no idea a crankshaft would take 4 months (16 weeks) to manufacture and deliver. Is this normal?

http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-14030701.html
Old 19 Mar 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3381795)   #3904
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Question for the Techies/engineers: I had no idea a crankshaft would take 4 months (16 weeks) to manufacture and deliver. Is this normal?

Depends partly on the complexity of the part I guess.

Now, Mike also suggested that the actual reason behind the change of the crankshaft was "surprising"... which I understand suggests that the vibration issues are only part of the explanation leading to this change.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 08:26 (Ref:3381798)   #3905
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Wow! That must be one complicated crankshaft!

Does Mike know if these issues are now passed, or are they still around?
Old 19 Mar 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3381852)   #3906
hcl123
Veteran

hcl123 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Depends partly on the complexity of the part I guess.

Now, Mike also suggested that the actual reason behind the change of the crankshaft was "surprising"... which I understand suggests that the vibration issues are only part of the explanation leading to this change.
More power and or more torque to. Just to remember "vibration" is lost power ( now every tiny bit of millimeter balance will be checked) .

If this is the only issue i don't know, but seems already a pretty big one... others seem secondary... if those vibrations were strong enough, they had no other choice, they had an under-performing, failure prone, crippled engine.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3381863)   #3907
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

My guess is that the four week number includes more than just manufacturing and delivery. I expect there would be time for design and analysis and post delivery integration, dyno testing, ecu recalibration, etc before it was bolted into the car. I expect there was also other changes to facilitate a new crank and firing order.

Richard
Old 19 Mar 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3381869)   #3908
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Personally i would like to see them get Le Mans right; then one can concentrate on the "lesser" races.
Agree! If I had to choose between a Le Mans win or WEC FIA title - I would take the Le Mans win. Right now far more prestigious. Am concerned about the long term viability of the WEC.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3381870)   #3909
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
My guess is that the four week number includes more than just manufacturing and delivery. I expect there would be time for design and analysis and post delivery integration, dyno testing, ecu recalibration, etc before it was bolted into the car. I expect there was also other changes to facilitate a new crank and firing order.

Richard
AH! That makes more sense now. Thanks!
Old 19 Mar 2014, 21:33 (Ref:3382027)   #3910
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Funny. This article is not available anymore
Old 19 Mar 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3382043)   #3911
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Funny. This article is not available anymore
Maybe it's just vibrating so much you can't see it?
Old 19 Mar 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3382050)   #3912
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Old 20 Mar 2014, 05:50 (Ref:3382112)   #3913
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
http://www.grid1.tv/motorsport/artic...1-2014-preview
Old 20 Mar 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3382128)   #3914
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The 404 wasn't known as being a vibrating car...

Pfff, oh no, forget this post.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 07:26 (Ref:3382131)   #3915
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
good little video and it appears that Mobile 1 the grid will be putting a bit more time into sportscar racing this year
Old 20 Mar 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3382136)   #3916
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post

I liked that joke! :b
Old 20 Mar 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3382137)   #3917
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The Romain Dumas's words at the end of the video seem to indicate that Porsche intentionally chose difficult technical options but also hope that it will dominate in a near future.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3382235)   #3918
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post

Don't let the hair stylists hear about this . Be almost as big a sale as Harry Potter battery operated vibrating broomsticks !!
Old 21 Mar 2014, 08:49 (Ref:3382564)   #3919
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-14031901.html has an interview with Timo Bernhard.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3382697)   #3920
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...el-flow-meter/
Old 22 Mar 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3383147)   #3921
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/por...es-919-hybrid/ Porsche is already at Paul Ricard for an endurance test.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 04:38 (Ref:3383198)   #3922
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Lets hope all goes well.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:17 (Ref:3383229)   #3923
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My biggest fear for Porsche is the fact that they didn't take the Martini livery.

At least then they could have been shaken, but not stirred...
Old 23 Mar 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3383311)   #3924
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
My biggest fear for Porsche is the fact that they didn't take the Martini livery.

At least then they could have been shaken, but not stirred...
Old 23 Mar 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3383405)   #3925
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Is it me or has that article been pulled?