Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Mar 2013, 13:48 (Ref:3215551)   #4076
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The January 2013 edition of PMW magazine has an interview with Ullrich Baretzky because he won the Motorsport Engineer of the Year award during the Professional MotorSport World Expo 2012. In this interview he talks about the technology transfer from motorosport to road cars.
Quote:
My absolute conviction is that we in motorsport are responsible for driving our sport in directions that are socially and environmentally acceptable. In doing this we can’t be followers; we have to be leaders. This justifies the long-term existence of motorsport in the future, just as it has justified motorsport for many decades in the past.

People believe racing is just another form of entertainment. They are wrong; the idea is wrong. Huge technical developments have been achieved because motorsport exists – and that role is one we have to play. And we have to play it even more intensely in the future.
I could not of said it better!
Old 7 Mar 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3215586)   #4077
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The January 2013 edition of PMW magazine has an interview with Ullrich Baretzky because he won the Motorsport Engineer of the Year award during the Professional MotorSport World Expo 2012. In this interview he talks about the technology transfer from motorosport to road cars.
What a great statement by Dr Baretzky
Old 7 Mar 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3215708)   #4078
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A big part of me wanted to stop and get a picture with Dr. Baretzky when he cruised past us in the paddock at LM last year. I wish I had done.

Great guy.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3215711)   #4079
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
A big part of me wanted to stop and get a picture with Dr. Baretzky when he cruised past us in the paddock at LM last year. I wish I had done.

Great guy.
That's a picture which only true Sportscar fans would acknowledge .
Imagine being like school kids, comparing autographs and pictures with celebs, and then pull a picture and signature from Dr. Baretzky
Old 8 Mar 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3215809)   #4080
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I like the things he says, that's why series like the WEC need to be happening. We don't need spec cars with no innovation and no drive forward. We need a ruleset where manufacturers can put new technology into practice and hopefully translate that to cars we can purchase.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 01:10 (Ref:3215816)   #4081
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They are on the way to Sebring right now, was passed by two Audi/Joest R18 haulers coming down I-75 from Atlanta this afternoon. Probably rolling into the track tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 13:11 (Ref:3216011)   #4082
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The old guys have to honor of driving the 2013 R18 in Sebring:
Quote:
Audi Sport Team Joest fields two Audi R18 e-tron quattro prototypes. The current World Endurance Champions and Le Mans winners Marcel Fässler (CH) and Benoît Tréluyer (F), who are supported by Oliver Jarvis (GB) at Sebring, drive an R18 from 2012. Lucas di Grassi (BR), Tom Kristensen (DK) and Allan McNish (GB) start in the new R18 e-tron quattro from 2013, which celebrates its race premiere at Sebring.
source: https://www.audi-motorsport.info/v2/...single/id/6985
Old 8 Mar 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3216053)   #4083
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I wish I had done
him in with a baseball bat ..... diesel's ..... humph !!!
Old 8 Mar 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3216057)   #4084
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
him in with a baseball bat ..... diesel's ..... humph !!!
That's harsh!

DK
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3216160)   #4085
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Audi's new R18 for this year

Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3216161)   #4086
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
According to http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-16455.html the additional periscope on the roof of the 2013 R18 consists of two front facing cameras.

More pictures are available at http://fourtitude.com/galleries/?c=s...tron%20quattro
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3216165)   #4087
TF110
Veteran

United States
So this is kept, that obviously means this isn't the device in question.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3216168)   #4088
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
http://audi-motorsport-blog.blogspot...udi-r18-e.html highlights the difference between the 2012 and 2013 R18 based on the rendering pictures.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 01:25 (Ref:3216193)   #4089
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
According to http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-16455.html the additional periscope on the roof of the 2013 R18 consists of two front facing cameras.

More pictures are available at http://fourtitude.com/galleries/?c=s...tron%20quattro
The camera system was outed on February 13:

Mike Fuller @mulsannescorner
@RacecarEngineer @MyNameIsNigel @JAGLeMans audi sources tell me its a forward camera similar to their rear system. Will race it this year
Old 9 Mar 2013, 03:29 (Ref:3216215)   #4090
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Strange that Audi rendered the illustrations with the sprint rear end (with the wing extensions) and the LM nose in a lot of the photos/illustrations that they published. I don't think that Audi will run the endplate extensions at LM unless Toyota take a gamble on it, but with LM being unique, I'd suspect that they'd treat those parts like the diveplanes on the R8 and R10, and discard them for more straightline speed/less drag.

Still a bit strange that Audi would render those illustrations like that, but as pointed out in the article, most of the photos are "renders" and probably won't 100% represent what the '13 R18 looks like--we won't know until we see the car in the flesh in photos from Sebring and LM testing.

Also of note is that the '13 R18 has reintroduced the sidepod vents that have been absent from all Audi LMP1s since the '09 R15. From the '10 R15 onwards, Audi has run a fully "closed" (louverless) sidepod. Maybe Audi think that having that option will help with engine cooling (namely charge cooling) to make more power.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3216236)   #4091
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Audi's new R18 for this year
Nice trip down memory lane. Thanks!
Old 9 Mar 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3216238)   #4092
TF110
Veteran

United States
Toyota said they would use the double endplates at LeMans in an interview with autohebdo. And what LM nose? The 2013 car has the opening in the nose like the 2011 R18 had.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3216261)   #4093
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
That's harsh!

DK
Old 9 Mar 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3216268)   #4094
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let's put away the baseball bat and return to the R18.

I think the wing extensions may stay for Le Mans as try say. Even at Le Mans these are sufficiently efficient. Although I've always thought Le Mans has become more downforce relevant since 1990, when the short tail 962 was the one to have.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3216319)   #4095
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And what LM nose? The 2013 car has the opening in the nose like the 2011 R18 had.
Well, as pointed out by Audi Motorpsort Blog, the shape of the front fenders on the renders corresponds to the typical LM-spec, whereas the only real picture of the 2013-spec R18 e-tron quattro is shown with the sprint front fender shape:

The renders may therefore be incorrect as far as the front nose section is concerned.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 10:47 (Ref:3216327)   #4096
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
The camera system was outed on February 13:

Mike Fuller @mulsannescorner
@RacecarEngineer @MyNameIsNigel @JAGLeMans audi sources tell me its a forward camera similar to their rear system. Will race it this year
I still wonder how this two-camera front vision system is put into actual use. Are Audi really contemplating to provide the driver with three distinct video pictures (front-left vision, front-right vision + rear vision) ?

I am intrigued to understand how this system can adequately be exploited in race conditions and without causing to much distraction for the driver. I mean, the purpose of this system is not to allow the driver to park the car () but to monitor what is happening at the front in a highly dynamic (i.e. race) environment.

BTW, doesn't this front vision system look a bit bulky compared to the rear vision camera system ?
Old 9 Mar 2013, 11:37 (Ref:3216346)   #4097
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
So this is kept, that obviously means this isn't the device in question.
The asymmetric buldge/blister on the right-hand side of the engine cover appears to be gone (well... at least from looking at the renderings), suggesting that this may be related to the "device" that Audi ultimately opted not to use. The buldge/blister might as well have nothing to do with the actual "device" and simply be due to the presence of testing or measuring equipment used specifically for testing purposes.

Speculation continues...
Old 9 Mar 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3216429)   #4098
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
The asymmetric buldge/blister on the right-hand side of the engine cover appears to be gone (well... at least from looking at the renderings), suggesting that this may be related to the "device" that Audi ultimately opted not to use. The buldge/blister might as well have nothing to do with the actual "device" and simply be due to the presence of testing or measuring equipment used specifically for testing purposes.

Speculation continues...
Speculation over. Not sure when I'll get it posted today but I have an answer.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3216438)   #4099
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I still wonder how this two-camera front vision system is put into actual use. Are Audi really contemplating to provide the driver with three distinct video pictures (front-left vision, front-right vision + rear vision) ?

I am intrigued to understand how this system can adequately be exploited in race conditions and without causing to much distraction for the driver. I mean, the purpose of this system is not to allow the driver to park the car () but to monitor what is happening at the front in a highly dynamic (i.e. race) environment.

BTW, doesn't this front vision system look a bit bulky compared to the rear vision camera system ?
Maybe they will put the monitors for the front system on the pillars next to the windshield. Creating a full panaramic field of view for the driver by hiding the posts, and blind spots they create.

L.P.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3216445)   #4100
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Speculation over. Not sure when I'll get it posted today but I have an answer.
Testing with exhaust gases energy recovery system ? I guess I will have to continue speculating until you come up with the answer, Mike