Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Closed Thread

Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2137792)   #401
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Yes so many of the irl races are huge financial successes.

Without Honda's largess Motegi, St. Pete and Mid Ohio would be non entities. Detroit is on the penske stipend and lost a fortune last year. Homestead, Watkins and Milwaukee are all rumored to be on the chopping block due to low attendance. There are rumors circulating in Nashville that race may even disappear this year.

That doesn't leave a lot of meat on the bones left.
any substance on these rumours?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2137794)   #402
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
Tony is a cool guy,he played it cool, no doubt about that, he's not a mega interesting personality but why does he need to be?

and even you have to admit that Miller was baiting him but he didn't fall for it

that will have wound up the champ car fans because Tony simply did not get worried by Millers comments
I don't think miller was specifically baiting him, only trying to get specifics.

george doesn't come across as a dynamic, intelligent visionary with answers and I think they better find someone who is if they want to succeed. If I was an investor, he wouldn't inspire me to place my money on the table.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2137796)   #403
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cleveland? Its one of the top races from CART/ChampCar IMO. Way better than St.Pete's as a City race.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2137798)   #404
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
if IndyCar goes to Cleveland i'll fly to states myself and slap George with a sweaty sock

that is perhaps the worst track i have ever seen
I'd get ahold of some of the tapes of old cleveland races. Some of the best races seen have been on that track. Your knowledge of history seems only to go back a year or two.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2137800)   #405
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
any substance on these rumours?
Yes.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2137801)   #406
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without Honda's largesse.....well, if my aunt had balls......

Honda is what is called a SPONSOR of St. Pete, Motegi and Mid-Ohio. St. Pete wasn't scheduled until the sponsorship package of Honda, Motorola, 7-11, etc., was put together. Motegi is a Honda-sponsored "home-cookin'. Duh. Mid-Ohio is Honda-sponsored primarily because Honda has a plant nearby. There are REASONS for Honda to be a sponsor in activating its engine program for exposure. Duh.

The rumors about Milwaukee and Nashville were started by CC supporters on the boards. Homestead makes out on sponsorship, but granted it needs to draw better. The Glen? I hear good things about it, but I don't know.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2137802)   #407
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I'd get ahold of some of the tapes of old cleveland races. Some of the best races seen have been on that track. Your knowledge of history seems only to go back a year or two.
your refferring to the 95 race yeah?

and no my history doesn't go back just two year, i resent that remark thanks

it's a god awful track with stupid run off areas that promotes amatuer driving

i hope it has no place on future calendars
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2137805)   #408
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
Without Honda's largesse.....well, if my aunt had balls......

Honda is what is called a SPONSOR of St. Pete, Motegi and Mid-Ohio. St. Pete wasn't scheduled until the sponsorship package of Honda, Motorola, 7-11, etc., was put together. Motegi is a Honda-sponsored "home-cookin'. Duh. Mid-Ohio is Honda-sponsored primarily because Honda has a plant nearby. There are REASONS for Honda to be a sponsor in activating its engine program for exposure. Duh.

The rumors about Milwaukee and Nashville were started by CC supporters on the boards. Homestead makes out on sponsorship, but granted it needs to draw better. The Glen? I hear good things about it, but I don't know.
yep, that's about spot on mate!

whats the recent word on CCF? Good news is, we are getting a new crapwagon in 2010 according to George! lol!

but serious, anyone know if Panoz are going to be involved in that?

Last edited by stradlin21; 25 Feb 2008 at 19:32.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2137810)   #409
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is much talk about Cleveland, which is a great race to watch on-site or on TV because you can see almost all the course, but it LOSES money and has gone through SEVEN promoters trying. In fact, IMG just threw it back to CART and said, "you can have it. Do it yourself if you like." And IMG is a strong promotional agency headquartered in Cleveland.
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2137813)   #410
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
any chance of Road America being added to schedule for 09 anyone?
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2137814)   #411
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
your refferring to the 95 race yeah?

and no my history doesn't go back just two year, i resent that remark thanks

it's a god awful track with stupid run off areas that promotes amatuer driving

i hope it has no place on future calendars
Utter bull.

Cleveland is one of the most iconic races that Indycar/Champ Car had. To not include it in 2009 or onwards would be criminal. And i wouldn't pass judgement on any new car until we've seen it racing.

mountainstar: re the comments on the various tracks, thats highly likely to change now he have unified series.

Someone else on Page 26 made a great point about how to get around the Surfers problem; have it as the first points race of the 2009 season.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 25 Feb 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2137818)   #412
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
your entitled to your opinion johntt

but it's an amatuer track that is way too forgiving to mistakes and makes the series look like a sham
Old 25 Feb 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2137829)   #413
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I posted elsewhere it is Tony's game, set and match. He can do what he wants. If he decides to go back to the old upright front engined dirt style cars he will. Not likely but it is his call.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2139574)   #414
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Stradlin, I take it you haven't watched any F1, aside from Monaco, recently. Dude, it's an airport circuit; you can't just put in walls willy nilly to make it harder. It's not practical, and the FAA would have fits probably, so you won't get away with that sort of thing at ANY active airport in the country. There's a reason Sebring isn't 5.2 miles to the lap anymore. While we're on the subject, why aren't you complaining about Edmonton, St. Petersburg, Silverstone, Snetterton, Albi, Zeltweg, and every single other airfield circuit?

The others are right. Cleveland is probably the best circuit that has been on the calender for actual racing. And if you're so worried about amateur hour, NASCAR's antics at Sears Point or Riverside make anything I've seen at Cleveland look tame and well-disciplined (The 1988 Winston Cup race from Riverside is up on YouTube for reference.).

P.S. I'd hate to see how much you, Stradlin, and Tim Northcutt could go at it on the subject of airport circuits.

Last edited by Purist; 27 Feb 2008 at 20:36.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2139584)   #415
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
i used to be a big f1 fan but then just gave up on it

don't get me wrong, i see what you say, you all make good points but to me Cleveland is just awful

i'm entitled to my opinion and you are yours!

Old 28 Feb 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2139753)   #416
CaptainRandom
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
CaptainRandom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth, it seems that Northlands are carrying on as if the Edmonton Grand Prix is a go this year (although I'm sure it isn't quite signed and sealed yet). I saw an ad in a local paper today for the race, and it featured a rear view of a Dallara! I should have checked to see if it listed the dates for the event or not, but wasn't thinking I guess.

Anyway, Northlands, the city, and the people are all excited about the race. I'd imagine all parties would be willing to change dates by a week or two, if necessary, but it would have to be cleared by the Edmonton Municipal Airport, and so on.

But the event really seems to have taken hold in the city and it's something that people look forward to. I was surprised to hear that it hadn't been profitable, but if Northlands can afford to purchase grandstands instead of rent, and 200,000 people keep showing up every weekend, I would have to say if Edmonton can't become profitable, then no event can!
Old 28 Feb 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2139763)   #417
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cleveland rocks.
road america is a part of OW racing in NA.
Laguna Seca and Montreblant are cool.
toronto and montreal should have a part.
it will be a shame to see races at tracks that are very similar to other tracks (you know which one's they are) and not the above mentioned.

these and other arguements, unforntunately are far from over.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2139835)   #418
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just because some of the great circuts may have to be cancelled this year doesn't automatically mean that they are gone forever. Perhaps in a year or two they'll be on a schedule.

Right now the focus has to be getting people interested in open-wheel again and start at circuits that are profitable.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:55 (Ref:2139850)   #419
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And my response, as you well know, is that the circuits included on the schedule are going to have an effect on my excitement level. Not to mention, the longer the series is away from a venue, the harder it is likely to be to go back, especially with those held on temporary courses.

There probably aren't enough truly profitable events from the series put together to make a particularly respectable schedule as it is. I just figure, you work with the best circuits and best/longest-standing events. If they're not profitable now, you make them profitable; you pour money into advertising in those critical areas so that the knowledge of the race among the locals is there, even if they aren't really fans initially. And holding those big events and racing at the best circuits is how you put on the best series and the best show; putting on the best show will, in turn, aid greatly in the progress of the series. Besides, it's not like the series main backers lack the resources the mount a serious marketing campaign, which I think is one thing that will be required going forward.

Oh, if Mont Tremblant is on the schedule, Montreal won't much of a concern for me. Also, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is limited to two active weekends a year, and both of those are taken right now.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 04:01 (Ref:2139852)   #420
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Check out this news from Yahoo!

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Champ Car World Series has its swan song at Long Beach. Should be fun and emotional at the same time. We're going to try to go. If anyone can make it that would be great!
Old 28 Feb 2008, 04:06 (Ref:2139853)   #421
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
And my response, as you well know, is that the circuits included on the schedule are going to have an effect on my excitement level. Not to mention, the longer the series is away from a venue, the harder it is likely to be to go back, especially with those held on temporary courses.

There probably aren't enough truly profitable events from the series put together to make a particularly respectable schedule as it is. I just figure, you work with the best circuits and best/longest-standing events. If they're not profitable now, you make them profitable; you pour money into advertising in those critical areas so that the knowledge of the race among the locals is there, even if they aren't really fans initially. And holding those big events and racing at the best circuits is how you put on the best series and the best show; putting on the best show will, in turn, aid greatly in the progress of the series. Besides, it's not like the series main backers lack the resources the mount a serious marketing campaign, which I think is one thing that will be required going forward.

Oh, if Mont Tremblant is on the schedule, Montreal won't much of a concern for me. Also, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is limited to two active weekends a year, and both of those are taken right now.

You make a good point. Go to those circuts that have a genuine open-wheel history, like Road America, Laguna Seca, and Milwaukee, for example. Having that history to promote should make things easier in trying to make for a profitable series. Basically, restoring everything before 1996.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2140018)   #422
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Just because some of the great circuts may have to be cancelled this year doesn't automatically mean that they are gone forever. Perhaps in a year or two they'll be on a schedule.

Right now the focus has to be getting people interested in open-wheel again and start at circuits that are profitable.

In the paint again.

We have to be realistic here. An opportunity presented itself and CC has been acquired. Is everything perfect? No. Will every day be a sunny day? No.

This does not mean though that we won't see some of these tracks return in '09.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2140186)   #423
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

The hard part is when you have staff employed working on those events and then they get canceled for 2008. It's almost like you have to start over for 2009. I wish there was some other racing series that could fill the bill for Toronto and Cleveland to keep them going for this year.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2140190)   #424
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Check out this news from Yahoo!

http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Champ Car World Series has its swan song at Long Beach. Should be fun and emotional at the same time. We're going to try to go. If anyone can make it that would be great!
I only have a 2 day hole in my schedule which necessitates flying in saturday morning and out sunday evening but I'm going to try to make it.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2140813)   #425
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
note for the mods: isn't this thread worthwhile closing?
The merger has been finalised by now, and we're carrying parallel discussions on two other ones.