Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 25 Apr 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2449188)   #451
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I miss James Allen.

There, I said it.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2449192)   #452
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
shuuuun, shuuuuuuuuun the infidel....
Old 25 Apr 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2449195)   #453
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
..that isn't available on freeview at the moment because of the snooker
I'm in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I miss James Allen.

There, I said it.
I wouldn't go so far to say that I miss Allen, but Legard definitely isn't any better than him.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2449196)   #454
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It's not really a criticism of Legard, but I'm really missing Allen and his rapport with Martin Brundle.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2449203)   #455
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've said it before and i'll say it again - i am mystified why people who whine about the tv commentary team don't swap to radio 5. that's why it's there.

unless you're on freeview, in which case there's a nice selection of snooker available.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2449205)   #456
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
i've said it before and i'll say it again - i am mystified why people who whine about the tv commentary team don't swap to radio 5. that's why it's there.

unless you're on freeview, in which case there's a nice selection of snooker available.
I'm not whining about the TV commentary. I'm saying I miss James Allen. Seeing as James Allen isn't on Radio 5 I don't know how switching channels will solve my particular problem.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2449206)   #457
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
i've said it before and i'll say it again - i am mystified why people who whine about the tv commentary team don't swap to radio 5.
I'd do just that if it wasn't for Martin Brundle, he's the only factor keeping me with the main commentary feed. Croft and Davidson make an excellent team over on 5Live though, and I thoroughly enjoy watching Free Practice with their commentary.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2449207)   #458
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
OT: Why or why is there not a no commentary option in snooker. Then I can turn off John Virgo. Argh.

As for F1, the choices are good. I stick with Martin though.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2449208)   #459
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I'd do just that if it wasn't for Martin Brundle, he's the only factor keeping me with the main commentary feed. Croft and Davidson make an excellent team over on 5Live though, and I thoroughly enjoy watching Free Practice with their commentary.
Croft and Davidson are great, though I only tend to listen to them on the podcast. Davidson has taken to his role like a duck to water. He's a natural.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2449215)   #460
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
OT: Why or why is there not a no commentary option in snooker. Then I can turn off John Virgo. Argh.
may your camels never multiply, i now have the theme to "big break" stuck in my head.

for most of last year i listened to radio 5 and chose to be out of the house around grand prix time so i didn't have to watch itv. david croft is really excellent, and it only took first practice in melbourne for me to be absolutely hooked on his and anthony davidson's way of commentating. they can do the chatty sat in the pub with a pint thing during friday practice and then they can do the full on proper thing during qualifying and the race. now i just find martin brundle too patronising and out of date. i haven't even got past that to be able to pass judgement on legard.

and i think ej is fine still. someone needs to stand up to dc and tell him to sit down and stfu sometimes, he really does seem to think he knows everything. it's important to present a secondary point of view to the holier than thou driver nonsense that dc seems intent on pedalling.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2449223)   #461
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James Allen didn't have a great rapport with Brundle. And it took years before it got to the level of 'integration' they did achieve.

The first three or four years were uncomfortable to listen to between Martin and James. It did get better when James improved, but at first Martin sounded annoyed and a lot more so than when Legard cuts him off nowadays!

Me, I'd rather have Legard than James. By miles! However, the Beeb should look to get Edwards in for the TV commentary as he's just the ultimate pro.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2449244)   #462
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's fortunate that the armchair pundits on here aren't judged so quickly by their employers when they start new jobs. Give the guy a chance, Also i thought EJ was good this morning and his interview was excellent. The BBC are again doing very well with interviews as at previous races.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2449273)   #463
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, I recorded qualifying but watched final free practice on the BBC website, so have experienced both commentating teams today.
I'm pleased to say that Jonathon Leggard didn't annoy me anywhere near as much today whereas I found EJ to be a pain in the arse! (Admittedly I did fast forward through his interview with the Prince, so may have missed his best bit). By the look on DC's face a lot of the time I think he felt the same as me!
Of the Radio Five team commentating on free practice I must say I thought that Ant was brilliant, but unfortunately Maurice Hamilton never really has worked for me when I've had to listen to GP's on the radio because I'm driving somewhere.
(Just my ten-pennyworth)
Old 25 Apr 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2449277)   #464
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Of the Radio Five team commentating on free practice I must say I thought that Ant was brilliant, but unfortunately Maurice Hamilton never really has worked for me...
I'm not a big Maurice Hamilton fan either, but he only commentates on FP3. David Croft is the lead commentator for FP1 and FP2.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2449281)   #465
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm not a big Maurice Hamilton fan either, but he only commentates on FP3. David Croft is the lead commentator for FP1 and FP2.
Typical! Just my luck to watch the bit with my least favourite commentator...
Old 25 Apr 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2449285)   #466
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
After a lot of EJ-bashing - including a bit from myself - his interview with Shaikh Salman Bin Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa, Crown Prince of Bahrain (yes I copied-and-pasted that) was excellent. His interview technique seemed to be ideal so perhaps he's better suited to that role, rather than as a pit pundit who seems to be in competition with his two colleagues over who can have the last word.
For those who missed it, you can see it here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8017466.stm
Old 26 Apr 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2449834)   #467
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm a little behind due to some gearbox work! So I have just started the coverage (will catch up before the race, by missing the bits I've already seen). Anyway...

I just wanted to come here and say again, the BBC F1 coverage rocks and it makes me so happy.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2449927)   #468
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simply fantastic stuff. Loving the forum bit right now too.

Hate the onboard channels though, that border they insist on using that restricts the view. But nevermind, still more than ITV managed in 12 long and miserable seasons.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2449930)   #469
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thought Legard was a bit off, other than great stuff as always.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2449955)   #470
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think Lee McKenzie is great and so, by their willingness to talk to her with a smile on their faces, do the drivers.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2449968)   #471
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well she is quite hot.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2449995)   #472
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it was great from start to finish and this is the first time i have watched the forum which i also thought was excellent. The interview with Lewis was really good, JH has a very good interviewing technique and is not afraid to ask challenging questions of anybody. All in 10 out of 10 for me.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 15:39 (Ref:2450002)   #473
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well she is quite hot.

For those of you lusting after her, she has a website.

http://www.leemckenzie.tv/
Old 27 Apr 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2450630)   #474
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Her questioning technique on Timo was a bit lame though wasn't it?

TG: "Well after first stop which was critical we went onto the harder Prime tyre and quickly lost 6 tenths -1 second a lap lost a lot of time and after 20 laps my chances of a podium were over for me." (or similar)

LM: "So where did it all go wrong, was it the strategy?" (or similar)

Erm hello.............
Old 27 Apr 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2450760)   #475
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
I thought it was great from start to finish and this is the first time i have watched the forum which i also thought was excellent. The interview with Lewis was really good, JH has a very good interviewing technique and is not afraid to ask challenging questions of anybody. All in 10 out of 10 for me.
I agree and enjoyed the discussion with LH, two young guys getting to know each other, really worth seeing.

What disturbed me was the way the LH attitude to racing has been affected by the rulings and actions in the stewards room. The Spa matter changed things for him and McL (IMO) and we may never see quite the same level of racing from him again, whenever he is in a "dodgy" situation he is now likely to be more cautious than before and some of the moves we all applauded in his first season and a half may be lost.

The older guys said it would happen when he had some knocks but I can never be persuaded that the Spa ruling was anything but wrong and they have now affected his head, you could see it in his face, sad

I know other drivers who only feel alive in the car and that is what he was saying but I am worried that he has been compromised in his racing attitude

Last edited by old man; 27 Apr 2009 at 15:18. Reason: added extra comment