Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Jun 2002, 22:45 (Ref:310114)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so that's a no for bonus arse points then?
damn. what's the use in having a butt if you can't use it to your advantage?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 23:00 (Ref:310125)   #27
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems you can pick 5 from 9 drivers now who always seem to be at the pointy end ...

* Green is obviously on the ascendency - has gone quicker as Legge has gone slower
* Watts and
* McGloughlin are always up there
* Bell (very experienced and very quick, although not quite so much recently)
* Hamilton (only 17 - sometimes very quick sometimes not so - has plenty of experience of winning, and a very media-friendly personality - also, importantly, has Lady Luck with him on so many occasions - will obviously go a long way)
* Lloyd (incredibly, also only 17 - normally and increasingly the fastest of the Motaworld drivers, certainly on old tyres - needs to learn how to maximise new tyres - impresses everyone with attitude, focus, clear thought and raw speed - very good in the wet or tricky situations - very insular personality - watch him closely - he only did 4 laps in the last session today and ended it 4th)
* Rudholm (experienced and increasingly strong)
* Sharpe (variable, but when he's quick he is right up there)
* Davison (occasionally can get it all together then he's smooth and quick)

And that's it - anybody else (eg Viso or Legge) is a complete inexplicable one-off
Old 10 Jun 2002, 23:07 (Ref:310134)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
less of the age thing, you know you're old when racing drivers all look young...

you've just about got the lot listed there, but sort out those who either have oodles of experience or are with a good team and you'd have to give them a monstrous slap if they weren't any good, and you're left with the same names.

i can only assume it takes a bit of time to get a hang of these cars, especially if you're going from something like formula ford. ryan sharp overcame that very quickly, it appears, but the fact he disappeared a bit at silverstone was a bit strange. don't know whether his fast lap was just a total accident or something, but it did seem odd.

viso's been quick in testing before all the racing started, guess he just got used to the cars quicker than anyone else.

and this test session was a bit wet and dry, wasn't it, so it's a bit difficult to go holding up performances from today as reasons why someone's a deity...
Old 10 Jun 2002, 23:29 (Ref:310149)   #29
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Age = experience in so many ways. If I only knew then ... etc .. <sigh> ...

You say experience or with a good team - Hamilton and Lloyd are your best 2 examples of this. Sure they are with a good teams, but they are both 17, both committed as b*ggery (look at them both take Bridge and the Bomb Hole flat for example - not everyone does) but they are also both much quicker than their older more experienced team mates for most of the time (Bell historically excepted, although his drop in form is a little bit of a mystery).

There is no mystery in these Formula Renault cars. Much more of a level playing field than our friends the works Van Diemens (R.I.P.). A good driver will make the difference to an inexperienced team (eg McLoughlin to Paston and to a lesser extent, Sharpe to JVA). (And also that is why Kane was such a disappointment, because a really good engineer like Mackie couldn't get him to go quick ... so with Patrick Long also a disappointment and leaving Manor, you could say LONG GONE and KANE UNABLE).

Bad puns aside, an experienced team will help an "ordinary" driver. But it won't make an ordinary driver quick. Look at Garcia and Legge - miles off Watts and Green's pace. Look at the body language of the cars when they are going round - some drivers are visibly more committed than others. Look at Viso or Long - they are/were not quick generally. The good drivers will get good cars on merit generally. So the top teams have the luxury of vetting drivers, and they therefore tend to start off with the best drivers, who are bloody quick to start with.

Today's test session was wet and dry, but you look at the top 5 or 6 and see if there's anyone there who isn't normally there. With the strange exception of Viso (who only ever got up high when he put new tyres on and got the best out of them at the right time on the track) it's a case of Bring on the Usual Suspects
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 23:34 (Ref:310155)   #30
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
P.S. Have you ever had that feeling when you get summoned to see the Headmaster, and you know you're in for a caning?? That "I've got a confession to make, dear" sort of feeling?? I've got it right now !!
Sit in a chair, lift your right leg off the ground, point your toes forward and draw CLOCKWISE circles in the air with your foot. Then raise your right hand and draw the number 6 in the air with your index finger. Your foot will change direction. If you can't even do this simple coordination task, how could you drive a racing car?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 23:36 (Ref:310157)   #31
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
I bet no-one spotted that I might be a bit biased
Old 11 Jun 2002, 10:54 (Ref:310513)   #32
kbudden
Racer

kbudden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fear not Mr Jinxx - if you are to collect your Fantasy Formula Renault prize at Thruxton for getting the most points from the Silverstone round - come on now you have all been checking the points haven't you!! - your true identity will be revealed to the throng!!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 12:01 (Ref:310552)   #33
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have it if he wants to remain anonymous. I don't mind collecting it if that's the case!
Old 11 Jun 2002, 16:33 (Ref:310741)   #34
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
...and paul steps in to make sure a pint doesn't go homeless. as always, the gentleman....

(ps mr jinxx, can't argue with any of your observations. except possibly the bad puns. don't give up the day job...)
Old 11 Jun 2002, 18:51 (Ref:310841)   #35
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
...and paul steps in to make sure a pint doesn't go homeless. as always, the gentleman....

Thats usaully my job which is why at race meetings ppl usually se me drunnk or recovering with a nasty hangover.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 18:59 (Ref:310857)   #36
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
T, you'd get the beer. It's Stella.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 22:09 (Ref:311088)   #37
Tallie
Rookie

Tallie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jinxx
... so with Patrick Long also a disappointment and leaving Manor, you could say LONG GONE and KANE UNABLE)
sorry to change the subject here, i know long wasnt at the test but i didnt realise he had left manor!! where has he gone!? (did i miss something and am i being really slow?):confused:
Old 11 Jun 2002, 22:55 (Ref:311110)   #38
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Rumours fly that he is looking for another drive, whilst another puts him on the next flight back to US. Unfortunately I don't know, sorry. As to identity, I have to reveal a bias towards Alex Lloyd and the Isle of Man TT races (from whence I have just returned, and also where I live). But it won't stop me being perfectly balanced in my judgement of all drivers including the enormously talented Lloyd and all the other deadlegs too
Old 11 Jun 2002, 22:58 (Ref:311112)   #39
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Bummer winning that Stella, now I can't really launch into anyone, shrouded in that comfortable shawl anonymity. Still, maybe I can get shrouded in hangover. P.S. Mr Jinxx (and The Boss) are my 2 favourite (Burmese) cats.
Old 11 Jun 2002, 23:00 (Ref:311114)   #40
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Does anyone know, by the way, who to ask for TV footage of some of the races? I note they are covered by Granada mainstream TV and also Men and Motors, but they have a lot of video to edit down, and I don't know who has the video, nor who to ask who has it. Carl McKella?
Old 12 Jun 2002, 11:02 (Ref:311423)   #41
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
probably a good place to start. at least he'll know who to ask.
(damn tv footage of silverstone was total pants, but don't get me started on that one)

re pat long, i have it on good authority from someone within the team that pat's left, but i wouldn't know whether that was official or just the rumour that's doing the rounds.

ps for handbags and other assorted attacks on people, pm someone else with the desired handbag, and get them to do it for you... still has desired effect, only anonymity remains. although knowing half this forum, they may desire beer for the pleasure...
Old 14 Jun 2002, 14:47 (Ref:313597)   #42
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
lol @ bella's handbag ... I'll stick with trying to make my views reasonable albeit occasionally personal, and trying to say only those things that are a) not slanderous and 2) things that I would say to their faces not behind their backs. ( Not so much fun though )