Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DEREK WARWICK
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:51 (Ref:810112)   #27
HForce
Rookie

HForce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OVERSTEER How many possible Grand Prix wins did Eddie Irvine have to give up for MS? I can't remember many.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:42 (Ref:810221)   #28
The B.A.R.
Rookie

The B.A.R. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've all missed one great talent

Martin Donnelly!
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:49 (Ref:810228)   #29
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with all the suggestions so far, though if I had to pick five they'd be:
1. Amon
2. Behra - I think that he is about the fifth most successful driver (in terms of wins) in post-war non-championship races, so he seems pretty deserving to me! Was also pretty good in the big Maser Sports Cars too.
3. Brundle
4. Bellof
5. Difficult to pick one, maybe Derek Warwick.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:56 (Ref:810232)   #30
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by skycafe
Was Hailwood ever really with a team that could have won? Certainly I would wish that he had had a GP victory. He made up for it all when he went back to Isle of Man on the Ducati.
He drove for McLaren in 74 i think.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 17:50 (Ref:810430)   #31
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I saw Chris Amon win 2 GP's....

1968 & '69 New Zealand Grand Prixs in his Ferrari

What about Jean-Pierre Jarier,he couldn't buy a win either.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 18:09 (Ref:810444)   #32
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was going to add Jarier as I read through the list, good call Armco Bender.

Amon and Hailwood for sure, (two of my faves as well)

Tom Pryce and Tony Brise deserve consideration.

Salo I think was overrated but Lehto deserved a better chance.

Jarier
Amon
Hailwood
Warwick
Brian Redman
Old 12 Dec 2003, 18:14 (Ref:810449)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Behra, good choice. Sorry I missed him. I'll bang him in second...
Old 13 Dec 2003, 09:02 (Ref:810807)   #34
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Ivan Capelli deserve to be ranked amongst the best drivers never to win a race? Based on his performances/form with Leyton House/March, that is - not on the struggle he had with Ferrari.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 17:04 (Ref:811027)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I'd have to agree pretty much with what everyone's put so far. Not old enough to comment on people prior ro late 70's but Amon is the clear candidate there!

Have you all forgotten 'Alice' Alex Zanardi.
If he's have got the breaks with Lotus and stayed around F1 for longer he wouldn't have ahd to come back to that Williams sitch in the end.

Remember Schuey reckoned he would be the one to give him the most trouble based on their karting days!.

Yes, Jyrki Jarvilehto is prob top of my list. He'd have won races for sure in '94 if not for test shunt that ruined it for him.Followed closely by Capelli, his confidence would've ooozed if he has held off Prost at Ricard that year.

Donnelly, Warwick,'Steve Johnsson', 'Mega'Blundell, Modena,Jarier,Brundle. Maybe even Wendlinger?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 14:52 (Ref:811633)   #36
jclab
Racer

jclab should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 5 drivers would be:
1-Chris Amon
2-Jean-Pierre Jarier
3-Stefan Bellof
4-Jean Behra
5-Karl Wendlinger
Old 15 Dec 2003, 04:18 (Ref:811922)   #37
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Amon would have to be top. (Stewart said he was one of the two drivers he regarded most highly of all his opposition in the 70's)
Of the others it probably gets harder depending on what generation you grew up in but Martin Brundle would be one of the five.
Bellof had a career that was cut short because of an accident as was Brise and Tom Pryce so I'm inclined not to pick them. Had their career's run full term (or a few years longer)they most certainly would have won GP's. Hailwood was a very good driver but never had a car to match his skill except perhaps in his final year when he ran a third McLaren in Yardley colours. The accident at the 'Ring finished that. Jarier was very good and had some really bad luck in a couple of GP's he had dominated. Any driver who had a couple of races where they had the field shot to peices and then had appalling luck inn terms of running out of fuel etc, and were consistently quick in their generation could be termed one of the five. derek Warwick had a heap of ability but never managed to get a good car on a consistent basis. when he did get a good car the team had other problems. Johansson is another one. Most of the drivers who managed to outrun their team mates consistently and score podiums but never got a win could be candidates but how you actually finalise the list is hard. In yhe most modern generation the cars have had so much influence therir have been very few that have allowed individual brilliance to shine in the terms I have described above. Perhaps only Fisichella would be a mention in such terms. (Webber's career hasn't been long enough yet.)
Old 15 Dec 2003, 15:11 (Ref:812243)   #38
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Top 5 Drivers without a win

Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
Well think of the number of possible wins Eddie Irvine had to give up for the Kraut
maybe one occasion, but I also remember some times when MS had to let him pass (e.g. Malaysia 1999)

Last edited by climb; 15 Dec 2003 at 15:12.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 11:35 (Ref:812978)   #39
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, exactly. And would the Ferraris that Eddie got to drive been as good without Michael's input and the group of people he brought with him?

Eddie wasn't bad, but there are several drivers who have no GP wins who I would rate above him.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:35 (Ref:813464)   #40
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J.J.Lehto?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:51 (Ref:813989)   #41
krt917
Veteran

I'd second that. Perhaps he could be my fifth choice!

Fantatic drive he did at Le Mans in the wet in 1995 and he's been quick in just about everything he's driven since.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:34 (Ref:814037)   #42
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why has no one mentioned Perry McCarthy
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:38 (Ref:814040)   #43
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because he's hardly a top driver How many F1 races did he drive, let alone win? He entered 8 races and did not even qualify for a single one of those.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:35 (Ref:814525)   #44
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Have Alex Caffi and Pierluigi Martini come up yet? I thought they weren't too bad either.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:42 (Ref:814531)   #45
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bellof - he would have been an addition to the great 4 of the late 80s
donnelly - although many overlook him for alesi (who debuted in the same race) as far as new talent had donnelly not had his accident and had he got a drive worthy of points he would have starred.
caffi - he always showed great talent but never got to show it all.
brundle - never got the right drive at the right time and kinda like mcnish, faded away because of it.
pryce - never won a championship f1 race but then again he was driving a shadow. if he lived longer and got the right drive i reckon he would have been a top contender of the early 80s.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:46 (Ref:814534)   #46
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by HForce
OVERSTEER How many possible Grand Prix wins did Eddie Irvine have to give up for MS? I can't remember many.
1 or 2. but he moved over about 9 times and blocked for him about 20.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:56 (Ref:814546)   #47
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just dug out an old Autosport supplement appropriately titled "Formula One's Ten-Tenths!" And it lists 10 drivers who shouldve and shouldn't have won.

10 who should:
Chris Amon
Jean Behra
Eugenio Castellotti
Andrea de Cesaris
Teo Fabi
Mike Hailwood
Eddie Irvine (Its fromm 1998 the year before Eddie won)
Jean Pierre Jarier
Tom Pryce
Alex Zanardi

By contrast heres those that it says shouldn't have won:
Giancarlo Baghetti
Jo Bonnier
Thierry Boutsen
Peter Gethin
Jean Pierre Jabouille
Luigi Musso
Jochen Mass
Alessandro Nannini
Olivier Panis
Maurice Trintigant
Old 17 Dec 2003, 21:59 (Ref:814553)   #48
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
I FOR ONE THOUGHT BOUTSEN WAS A VERY GOOD DRIVER!

darn caps lock!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:04 (Ref:814561)   #49
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
amon without a doubt...he had victories in sportscars, tasman, non-championship f1 races, but a world championship gp win eluded him in most cases due to cruel misfortune....
courage, bellof, pryce, and brise were drivers whose careers were cut tragically short and their full potential was never realized...
jarier would be up there....he had at least 2 wcgps in the bag before the car crapped out on him...
jackie oliver, vic elford....great sports car drivers.....
Old 17 Dec 2003, 22:32 (Ref:814603)   #50
Kojima_KE007
Racer

I thought Boutsen was a good driver as well and Nannini and Mass...