Williams 17 23.29%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Apr 2008, 14:37 (Ref:2184910)   #26
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking the teams with the most realistic shot (Williams, Toyota, Renault and Red Bull) the results so far have been

AUS: Rosberg 3rd, Alonso 4th, Nakajima 6th, Glock RET, Piquet RET, Coulthard RET, Trulli RET, Webber RET.

SEP: Trulli 4th, Webber 7th, Alonso 8th, Coulthard 9th, Piquet 11th, Rosberg 14th, Nakajima 17th, Glock RET

BAH: Trulli 6th, Webber 7th, Rosberg 8th, Glock 9th, Alonso 10th, Nakajima 14th, Coulthard 18th, Piquet RET

Is 3 rounds enough to start predicting? Bahrain is interesting because of the spread from 6th-10th, maybe we'll need Barcelona's results to have a more accurate view, especially as they'll probably qualify 2 by 2 each team down the order.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2185167)   #27
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dont forget that Glock also qualified in the top 10 in the first 2 rounds and got screwed over by Rosberg in malaysia
Old 23 Apr 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2185371)   #28
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I think that's harsh on Williams - Nakajima doesn't seem to be up to much right now, but I'd be surprised if they end the season so far down in the standings.
the mid field is really very fierce this season, and even though williams is very much a favorite team, i think after the dust settles that it may well pan out this way...

But it's only a hunch, and based on 3 rounds, i say it with no real conviction at all!

...oh and time has proven that it is only the fool who underestimates williams, so i do realise that i will likely be proven very wrong!
Old 24 Apr 2008, 10:06 (Ref:2185612)   #29
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
must be Renault, budget would suggest Toyota, experience Williams, but really and truly the most talented (and motivated) people are at Renault IMO
Old 24 Apr 2008, 10:43 (Ref:2185633)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
but really and truly the most talented (and motivated) people are at Renault IMO
Flav thinks so too.He expects them to be right behind BMW now! Although the strategy does seem to be relying mostly on Alonso and his six-tenths!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66788
Old 25 Apr 2008, 00:26 (Ref:2186150)   #31
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
To get behind BMW, they may have to knock off McLaren first
Old 25 Apr 2008, 01:29 (Ref:2186165)   #32
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont think BMW is ahead of McLaren, their whole race strategy was ruined in Malaysia because of the penalties and in Bahrain i really dont know why Kovalainen was so slow, maybe his setup was just not the greatest?
Old 25 Apr 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2186263)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I haven't seen anything yet that would suggest that Renault are the fourth best team.Indeed,so far a certain 'Ozzy' has been putting the Renault engine to equal if not better use.I'm still betting that Honda will have surprised everyone by mid-season.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2186578)   #34
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Renault's pace was rather nice today and with the 4 WC titles they scored over the last 3 years I doubt they would do some quick laps just to get the media attention. So far in Melbourne, Sepang and Bahrain their friday pace was really in sync with the rest of the weekend so I think there is hope

they did find something during the last test (quite possibly the mass-damper that was parking in their garage unused since 2006 mid-season ), just how far will it get them is unkown yet but their realtive pace improved and thats the bottom line.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 14:08 (Ref:2186585)   #35
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely improved! The second session times are probably misleading as the pacesetters run more representative fuel levels, but they have certainly moved forward you feel.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2186599)   #36
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was speculation during the pre-season that when Renault first tested their Melbourne aero, it wasnt any better so they abandoned it.

They would certainly be looking to make a jump with their Barcelona spec aero if that was true.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 06:05 (Ref:2187806)   #37
Saied
Rookie

England
Saied should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first post on 10/10th's, hello everyone!

Voted for Renault. Their initial very poor pace at the start of the season was something of a surprise to me.

It appears they are starting to make some real progress now.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2187956)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saied
My first post on 10/10th's, hello everyone!

Voted for Renault. Their initial very poor pace at the start of the season was something of a surprise to me.

It appears they are starting to make some real progress now.
Welcome!

Yes,there is progress there,but I would look to where Piquet has qualified for a truer reflection of that.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2187969)   #39
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome, Saied.

Yes, Renault seem to be moving forward.

To Martyn's point though I still believe that where Piquet qualified is a truer reflection of the talent available in that particular seat as opposed to a reflection of the car's potential.

I know he has qualified "closer" to FA this season but I thought that more of a fluke than talent.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 14:22 (Ref:2188189)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And so it proved.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2188210)   #41
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Piquet isn't a good 'racer' yet,but he was never very far away in any of the qually periods or free practice periods.

There is no doubt,however,that Renault have improved to a position that probably still includes RedBull and Toyota.Unfortunately for Renault (and quite oddly) Webbers run of 'luck' may see the 'customer' team grab that fourth slot!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2188496)   #42
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I can't imagine that going down well in France either.
Old 27 Apr 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2188571)   #43
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
There is no doubt,however,that Renault have improved to a position that probably still includes RedBull and Toyota.Unfortunately for Renault (and quite oddly) Webbers run of 'luck' may see the 'customer' team grab that fourth slot!
I think he was probably due a run of luck. He may need a bit of help from DC if they want to finish 4th though.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 Apr 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2189927)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
It's clear to me that if Renault want 4th in the WDC, it doesn't matter how quick their car is, they need to get rid of Piquet jr.

It's no wonder that Fernando prefered him as a team mate over Heikki.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2190075)   #45
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Interestingly the lead drivers in each of the contenders is line astern

7. Jarno Trulli Toyota 9
8. Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 8
9. Nico Rosberg Williams 7
10. Fernando Alonso Renault 6

* Sorry, I do not seriously think Honda are a contender for 4th.

As I said earlier, its the No.2's that could make all the difference. I think Renault and Williams could suffer because of that, and RBR if Coultard cant stop hitting things.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2190682)   #46
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex
Interestingly the lead drivers in each of the contenders is line astern

7. Jarno Trulli Toyota 9
8. Mark Webber Red Bull Racing 8
9. Nico Rosberg Williams 7
10. Fernando Alonso Renault 6

* Sorry, I do not seriously think Honda are a contender for 4th.

As I said earlier, its the No.2's that could make all the difference. I think Renault and Williams could suffer because of that, and RBR if Coultard cant stop hitting things.
yep i think you're right there, but perhaps nakajima has been better than expected, quietly achieving. I have the suspicion he will have some shocking races, but he may well prove himself to be the best midfield "no.2".

Coulthard is seriously on the slide, but once his mouth tightens up a bit, so should his focus and performances... (here's hoping anyway!)

glock is probably the best prospect of the lot. Solid so far, but yet to come into fruition.

And piquet just seems to be too much of daddy's boy. If senior distances himself a little, i get the feeling that jnr may get some more much needed backbone about him and start racing with more steel and less over-excitement. However, i get the feeling he only has the drive in the first place because of dad's promises and talk on his behalf, so i dont hold too much hope.......
Old 4 May 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2193789)   #47
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did I mention the possibility that Renault could reborn at the second part of this season? Kinda like 1996 Ferrari campaign. And attention, because both Alonso and Piquet could have good results then. If not, 2009 could be their second chance.
Old 4 May 2008, 13:53 (Ref:2193791)   #48
Hendrik
Racer

MagnetON
Germany
Hendrik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure about Renault. They're really optimistic after Barcelona, but the overall performance was still mid-field, not more. Reminds me of 2007 when Renault was talking about a strong comeback after almost every race.
Old 4 May 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2193895)   #49
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik
They're really optimistic after Barcelona, but the overall performance was still mid-field, not more.
They've been in the rather over-subscribed midfield battle all season, but at least now they appear to be at the front of it.
Old 4 May 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2193926)   #50
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'll go for Honda.